Star Wolves: Review @ Clubskill
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Star Wolves: Review @ Clubskill

The first 'Star Wolves' <a href="http://www.clubskill.com/?view=article&article=533" target="_blank">review</a> to surface is a short affair at a site called Clubskill. The score is a disappointing 4.6/10 and here's the main criticism:<blockquote><em>That however, is where the excitement ends. Straight from the off-set, the game seems to be very sluggish. It is wise to run through the tutorials, but even these can become vague – sometimes telling you to do things that you don’t know how to do - and they won’t bother explaining to you how to do it. The ships are very slow moving. When in a battle, all you can really do is select your ships and click on the object you want to attack. You then have to sit there watching as your ship takes two shots, and then takes ten minutes to manoeuvre back around to take another shot. Granted, there are x2 and x4 game speed buttons, but you will rely on them too much - and the game isn’t enjoyable enough even watching it speed off in fast forward.</em></blockquote>
Post Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:45 pm
Destroth

I agree. This game is a huge let down. Its as bas as Cops: Power of Law, if not worse.
Post Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:46 pm

XenoFur

The control problems the author had were pure idiocy. They work exactly the same as in in Homeworld(it's in fact the same engine): you command units to move on their plane and change the altitude by using shift. To aid with that there are several devices: Altitude display with caps lock, the radar, the paus modus and last but not least, actually making the effort to move the camera a bit to check the destination.
Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:51 pm

Dhruin

The controls aren't as slick as Homeworld but neither are they as bad as this review says. Not the same engine as Homeworld, BTW. Xbow developed this one themselves.
Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:43 pm
XenoFur

not the same? oO i could have sworn ... especially since i get ~150 fps ingame ^^
personally i find the controls in star wolves even easier to use than in homeworld *shrugs*
Post Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:16 pm

batteries for star hammer

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
The controls aren't as slick as Homeworld but neither are they as bad as this review says. Not the same engine as Homeworld, BTW. Xbow developed this one themselves.

Hi there, I'm also playing star wolves, I'm hope I can trouble you guys for a spolier, I'm not sure how far you guys have progressed on the game but I'm stuck on the level where phantom is supposed to extract the 'batteries' for the star hammer.

We reach a working power anamoly and he says he needs to get back to his lab on the mothership to work on the batteries, so I send him back and then thats it nothing happens after that, is there a bug on this level or is it something I missed doing?
Post Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:31 pm

Dhruin

Not quite there sorry... see if you can make sense of these two posts on the 1C boards..

http://forums.games.1c.ru/?type=thread&msgid=1210649

http://forums.games.1c.ru/?type=thread&msgid=1210767
Post Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:15 am
someguy

after the mission where i get phantom heretic dissapears

In the mission I get phantom and lose the AI girl I leave through the portal with heretic in the team (6 strong) but in the after math screen heretic is gone is that a bug or something else I don't get?
has it happened to anyone else?
cheers for any help:)
Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:57 pm

Dhruin

To be honest I can't remember clearly but I think Heretic leaves and returns later. I had a quick glance through my saves but couldn't find that mission...must be getting old.
Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:40 am