Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
I Just started Gothic and want to know if this is a.........
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
ChronoTrigger
Village Leader
Village Leader

I Just started Gothic and want to know if this is a.........

bug, or just another gift from my Incredible intelligence, the thing is i started as usual, with a a few quests (diego) and when i found the gate to the orc land, i went where are all the orc wolf and make, the 2 guards kill them, then i made the orc fighters follow me, but the gurads didnt touch them, so i took the (4 and 4 and 2 and 1) them to the old camp, and they kill a lot of guards ( and plus buldwin and scorpio, and the thorus sword was on the floor, i watch from the floor, becouse at this point you cant enter the castla, and the guard cut me, so i just pick up all from the guard and from the magicians and i have a lot of items, i dont think i have to at this point, is this a bug, or i can keep playing here, if you already did this tell me, if you not, is really cool,
PD, the guard that is guarding the switch cant be kill
Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:29 am
Gothic7
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Scorpio is the only one that can teach you how to use a crossbow, so in that area your screwed in that point of view.
Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:19 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

This typing deserves a title, so lets call it, " LISTEN

Okay. Let me save you a lot of frustration. First, I recommend you go way back to some old threads started by me a long time ago. Read those. My very first time playing Gothic, I thought to myself, "Wow! I figured out a cool way of getting free stuff without ruining my reputation. I'll just train orcs and beasts into the camps and sit back and watch the show! Then when all the fighting is over, I'll loot all the corpses and enjoy the riches." Thats a VERY bad idea. I made the mistake of assuming that if an NPC is vulnerable to death, then he must not play an essential or significant role in the game. This was a false assumtion. Note that there are some immortal NPC's throughout the game, but this is irrelevant. The game was designed to be as real as possible, peroid. The first time through the game its extremely important that you do not kill any other human beings unless its completely unavoidable. You need to play the role of a merciful savior of some sort.

Save the game frequently! Try everything you can to avoid killing another person. Reputation doesn't mean shit in Gothic. (In Gothic 2, a good repuation will be more important.) However, killing NPC's that play a role in the story line later on in the game will lead to trouble, and possibly the prevention of you completing the game. You could kill the wrong person by training them with orcs, and 3 chapters later, after a lot of time-consuming hard work, discover that you unwittingly loss the game by preventing yourself from being able to progress in the storyline. Its fun to watch all the guards die to the hands of the orcs and beasts. If you want to do this, simply save the game beforehand and reload the game after the fight is over. Its also important to note that certain NPC's only play important roles in the storyline depending on which camp you join. A slightly different story will unfold, each with different quests and seperate adventures to accomplish. Each story, regardless of which camp you join will share only a few important things; the most important one worth noting is the ending. The ending can't be altered. The reason its important to note this is because if you beat the game and assume you know which NPC's ARE and ARE NOT important, your only correct in knowing this if you join the same camps in the same order.

To answer your question of why the guards didn't attack the orcs, and instead just watched them kill you: its because the orcs are too powerful. The Gothic game designers programmed the guards to identify whether or not a unit is weak enough to be slain. In a way, the guards con units within a certain area, also depending on the units faction, they might or might not attack it.

The guards might have even attacked you instead of the orcs. The reason they might attack you in a situation like this, is because they know the orcs could easily kill them. Once again, as another attempt to insert realism or artificial intelligence, the Gothic game designers programmed the guards to attack you for training them with enemy units having a higher strength and fighting capability than the guards. The idea behind this is quite simply to ensure that you die before the orcs turn on the guards and the guards are killed. The guards are wanting their revenge for their seemingly inevitable deaths. Note that this is only an occasional occurance. The guards, like all other units in the game will eventually stop chasing you if you run without stopping for a long enough time.

I hope this helps. I endured a lot of frustrations due to this same issue my first time playing Gothic.
Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:21 am
Xelis
High Emperor
High Emperor

boy Sir Diety said it all!
Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:50 am
ChronoTrigger
Village Leader
Village Leader

WouWW WouWW WouWW, beautifull explanation, and with out saying me what is going to happend, so i have to start it all over, but seeing that this may be one of my favourites RPGs, is not such a bad idea, i tell you even more, the orcs kill the magician, and one of the guards, and i made myself ultra rich, with a lot of rings and well a lot of everything, so i will seat now and play it from the Very beggining, i ve always found bugs and every thing like this in games, because i dont like Cheating but i always want to have certain advantage, but by doing it myself I Hate Cheating an rpg, its just useles, play an rpg, and and put yourself with 1000 experience, it doesnt make sence, rpg is for just selected people, i finished myself a lot of snes rpg Chrono Trigger (one of my favourites along with (Zelda 1 2 3 4 5 6)n64 y gbc, Final fantasy, kyrandias 123 and the feeling you get when you finish them is so wouuowuowuw that you want to play it again and again, and tell me how many time you could play it if you have more than you can find by cheating, half time, and you dont even finish it well enough talkin, lets play
Post Wed Aug 07, 2002 6:44 am