FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Why does everyone say gothic rules
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

Why does everyone say gothic rules

im from the uk so morrowind dosnt come out till the 31st of may but gothic has and i played the demo a few months ago and thought it was so very crap, wasnt it a german game translated into english the voice acting was terrible id rather have text than badly translated babbeling and anyway Dungeon siege was far better than gothic but i hope it wont be better than morrwind role on may 31st
Post Sat May 11, 2002 9:40 am

XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

You can't compare gothic with dungeon siege. Dungeon siege is just a hack and slash game. In Gothic you got more freedome. You can talk to people, steal from them, beat them up. Just do whatever you like.

If you want to know more about Gothic you should go to the Gothic forums on this site (rpgdot).

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Sat May 11, 2002 10:15 am
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

If you think DS is better as Gothic, dont buy MW. No offense, but DS is a follow-the-path-kill-all-monsters game, while MW is an open-ended REAL rpg. Gtohic is much like MW, in some aspects, and is nothing like DS. If you like DS better, you wont like MW.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 10:16 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: Why does everyone say gothic rules

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
im from the uk so morrowind dosnt come out till the 31st of may but gothic has and i played the demo a few months ago and thought it was so very crap, wasnt it a german game translated into english the voice acting was terrible id rather have text than badly translated babbeling and anyway Dungeon siege was far better than gothic but i hope it wont be better than morrwind role on may 31st

There are various reasons why people on these boards tell you that Gothic is still one of the best (or even <i>the best</i>, see my sig! ). In no particular order:
1. ~75% of all registered users came to the RPGDot boards because we have the biggest Gothic boards in the English speaking net. (This says a lot about Gothic´s marketing. )
2. Gothic is "perhaps the best RPG of 2001" according to Gamespot´s Desslock. This is a huge compliment from a real insider. He is probably the biggest rpg expert worldwide.
3. So Gothic is simply an AAA rpg. Please note I did not say it´s better than other AAA rpgs. Just like the competition it has its own identity. A matter of taste.
4. Most people here were helped through the control system problems caused by the poor documentation, so the no.1 reason not to like Gothic was disarmed. This makes Gothic´s position on the RPGDot boards even stronger.
5. We are waiting for Gothic 2 for the Christmas season.

Gothic is a real rpg trying to allow an incredible amount of freedom in a linear story through <i>simplification</i> of its rpg-sytem, a rather small, beautifully designed world packed with details, sharp characterisation of some NPCs, a good story and (with a few exceptions) strong enemy AI. The biggest drawback is the poorly documented interface.

Dungeon Siege is, IMO, simply a boring hack&slash game, a Diablo clone. You crawl through dungeon after dungeon like you´re on rails, kill everything in sight and collect items. Graphics and interface are superb, party combat strategies are interesting, but the story is irrelevant, the quests are unrewarding and the gameplay is repetitive.

Let me repeat the warning of the previous posters. Gothic is way closer to Morrowind than Dungeon Siege. If you prefer DS over Gothic be careful with MW.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 11:39 am
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Why everyone say that Gothic rules?

Because it does.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Sat May 11, 2002 11:55 am
bolopunq
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

definitely, i played ds for like 3 days, got bored, deleted the game. i playes gothic for 2 days, but almost non stop as i just couldn't get afk and finished it. even though it was kinda short it was just so rewarding, smart and beautiful that omg...
Post Sat May 11, 2002 1:05 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Gorath said it so well, nothing to add here. If you like DS, steer clear of Morrowind. DS is boring - Diablo 2 was a real gem compared to it!
Post Sat May 11, 2002 1:44 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I liked DS too but it can't compare to Gothic. Gothic to me is the best game I've ever played. Morrowind has enough interesting parts to keep me going through the boring parts but I agree with the others...If Gothic is to slow for you then stay far away from MW.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Sat May 11, 2002 2:01 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Gothic is a really good game, and I think that it is better then morrowind.

Gothic rules.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Sat May 11, 2002 2:02 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Come on guys, no invasion from the Gothic boards, please. This is not another Gothic vs. Morrowind comparison thread.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 2:20 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
Come on guys, no invasion from the Gothic boards, please. This is not another Gothic vs. Morrowind comparison thread.

Good idea Gorath :].
Post Sat May 11, 2002 2:25 pm
madigan

Gothic was great BUT

1) The control sucked so much that if it wasnt for RPGDot I would never have got past the 10 frustrating minutes of the demo I tried,
2) The story past the first act was very linear.
3) There are essentially only 2 classes and with enough skill points in the end there was pretty much only one class (warrior-mage).
4) 2&3 preety much made it not worth replaying for me.

I love a well scripted involving game set in a believable world and I had a lot of fun with Gothic but I will take the open ended, multi character based style gameplay of Morrowind over Gothic anyday

Also you can like simple hack and slash games like Diablo and DS AND still like games like Morrowind and Gothic. Some people like apples as well as oranges

I got my 50 hours worth out of DS and liked every minute of the graphics as they scrolled past on my automated journey hehe
Post Sat May 11, 2002 2:32 pm

I played Gothic as well. At first it hated it mostly because of the strange controls. But I forced myself to keep playing. After a couple hours I found I was really having fun. In the end I would say (for me) Gothic was a great game. But I would rather play a game that was a bit more open ended. Such as Morrowind. One other thing is, I would rather play these kinds of games in the first person. To me the whole idea is to get immersed in your character. I have trouble getting there while playing in third person.

I’ve been playing PC games since about 1992. I have bought ALLOT of games over the years. I can say that (for me) my favorite games (RPG) have been…

1. Morrowind.
2. Daggerfall.
3. Ultama underworld “stygian abyss”
4. Arena
5. Gothic

Mitch.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 3:13 pm

Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

All three of the Elder Scrolls Trilogy games are in your top five... that's very cool! It means you have a very good chance of liking games by Bethesda Softworks sight unseen. I wish I had a game radar like that!
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Sat May 11, 2002 3:44 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Experiment with demos Gig. That's the best advice anyone can give you. Usually you can get the feel for the game from the demo. If the demo doesn't draw you in, then the full version probably won't.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 4:59 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next