Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Did Gothic 2 live up to the hype? Everyones expectation met?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Did Gothic 2 live up to the hype? Everyones expectations met?
Yes, Definately!!!! Best game EVERRRRR!!!!!!!
61%
 61%  [ 26 ]
Nah, The game is good...but i expected more.
21%
 21%  [ 9 ]
What hype? I am utterly content with what i got out of it!
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Is there a Caholic in the forum? First name Al Last name Caholic
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I never played the first one, but i really like this one!
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
I never played the first one...and by the looks of the second...thank god i never did...I hate this rpg.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 42

Author Thread
SeraphimBenited
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Did Gothic 2 live up to the hype? Everyones expectation met?

I love this game...but quite honestly i got more of a kick from playing the first one...i think i hyped up Gothic 2 a bit too much and it ruined some of the fun of playing it for me...

It's just not the same anymore...
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:48 pm
ballistic
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

first off I think Gothic 2 is an amazing one-of-a-kind game just like Gothic 1 was. I voted the second choice from the top, but, it's really just a notch below 'the best ever'.

I didn't really have any hype or expectations in my mind, just to be 'more of the same' (a good thing). I've just started playing G2, but what I miss from the original is the overall 'feel' that was, more ummm... 'harsh', non-conventional overall storyline (the individual quests and characters are actually as good or better in G2), and fights/equipment seemed to be more balanced (was tougher to survive as it should be). but maybe I don't know what I'm talking about since I'm still in chapter 1.

make no mistake though I think it's a major kick ass game out of the few good ones to come out in the last few years. and they managed to keep and improve the main theme - the world feels alive and real, the amazing AI, the colorful characters with realistic attitudes, imaginative quests, lots of fitting humor in dialogs, etc... could hardly bring myself to press the 'quit' button last night and that hasn't happened to me since gothic 1

one thing though, I think they skimped on sound effects a bit (like no crackling fire in fireplaces in houses, footsteps seem week, no crackling twigs in teh forest, etc... or maybe I have sound card problems)
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:38 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I'm loving this game.

Maybe even a tad more than the first.
It's got great immersion and atmosphere to it.

the gothic series is one of my all time favorite rpg's.

I just hope if they make a new one they can include some new stuff.
like shields and mounts.
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:44 pm
Hagen
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

sexy game, love it to bits, but, saying that I do see room for improvement, in areas they perhaps should of done and learnt from Gothic 2... but still love the game to bits! *hugs his Play CD*
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:53 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I do believe Gothic 2 has the largest sound effects files in terms of MB of any game ever.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:56 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I haven't checked the size of the sound file (not sure what that would really prove) but the sound does have highs and lows. The sounds that are there are pretty good but as mentioned there's a few missing ambients like fireplaces, cooking and so on.

Overall I love it - but I didn't really hype it. I just wanted more of the same with a few minor improvements and that's what I got.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:14 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

I am currently deep into Chapter 3. This game has not dissapointed me and I am really enjoying the journey. No CRPG game has ever reached the level of immersion and detail I see in Gothic 2. From the colorful characters to the beautifully detailed landscape..what an experience.

It may join Ultima 7 in my top games list ... who knows?

I voited for "2" but you need to have another option between "Best Ever" and "Good ... but I expected more."

Perhaps ... "Very Good. It was everything I hoped for" Something like that.

Best
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:51 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I voted #1, but should've voted #2.. when I think about it, Gothic 1 is actually better, but yeah, a truly great game!
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:05 am
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

I think this is a better game than both Gothic and every other I have played. I didn't like replaying Gothic 1 because of it's linearity (sp?) in the end, but it seems like this game is a bit better on that.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:43 am
JOTAS
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I,am a 52 year old game player, new to forums. concerning gothic 2 completed game mon 23rd, very impressed with game,very entertaining paid £27.99 over 70 hours game play good value for money
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:01 pm
Irf
High Emperor
High Emperor

This is definatly my favourite game of all time, there does seem to be fewer ambient sounds, and some of the voices could have been better, but it's almost non-linear which means great replayability. I really hoped your old friends from the valley would play significant roles for more of the game than gothic 1, which in most cases has happened (lares, jarvis and maybe a couple of others have small roles but guys like diego, gorn, etc are pretty significant). The water looks great too (except in 1 place in the valley of mines), but overall the pros outweight the cons, so it's a great game
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:28 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I am VERY pleased with Gothic 2. The landscapes and vista's are just simply amazing. I think I want to move there.

Regarding hype, I am pretty certain that its always a bad thing. I understand that companies need to create some so that they can hit the ground running when the game is released. But I personally have always enjoyed great games more when they just appear from nowhere, rather than having months/years of anticipation.

My work around is that once I see a game that I know is going to be great, I deliberately avoid movies/screenshots and reading articles about it. Apart from the hype raising your expectations beyond reasonable levels, it is going to destroy the wonder of finding all those amazing things for yourself.

With a game like gothic 2 that is so heavily centered around discovery and exploration, I think that is even more valid.

So, to the developers: You took your time getting this out, but it was worth it. Thanks for an excellent game. All is forgiven...

p.s. Kudos to the older gamer JOTAS Good to see a mature person who can appreciate games and not treat them as kiddies toys.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:06 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

I love it. My only gripe is that they overdid it with the pine trees in the forests. Other than that, all thumbs up
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:50 pm
TheDarkside
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I like it better than the first. It's not as limited, the terrain is more interesting, the city is so much more fun than the Old Camp and the quests are more fun.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:21 pm
gakkie
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Sure thing a fabulous game!
I run a morrowind fan site, but I must admit I am having heaps more
fun playing gothic II. A job very well done PB! Kudos!
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:53 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next