Interesting findings on Unarmored skill
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Legal_My_Deagle
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Interesting findings on Unarmored skill

i started a agonian named Mondo Gecko. Favorite abilites are agility and speed. chose the steed as a birthsign for the extra speed. since i wasnt going to have much strength, and as a beast race there are some pieces of armor you cant wear, i chose light armor and unarmored as major skills...i didnt want unarmored bringing me down too bad so i also use a shield. i expected the unarmored thing to be a burden....but i found something out. with the steed to help for speed as a governing attribute for unarmored, when i equiped the chitin armor i bought, the only thing i could wear that actually IMPROVED my armor rating was light armor, and that was only by 1 armor rating point. maybe unarmored isnt only for mages.....once i thought about it, it made sense, because they DO, after all, have the built in class MONK. i know eventually i could get glass armor, but im going to restart Mondo Gecko for these reasons.

1) unarmored is, of course, much lighter, and cheaper in that you dont have to buy it or steal it or repair it. even though you dont get the fun of armor collecting...

2) if i went through the game with unarmored AND light armor, that wouldnt be as good as it sound i think, because i find its better to specialize when it comes to armor, as i learned from my last character who used light and medium.

those are my basic reasons. also, now that i wont have light armor as a major skill, there will be room for other things, which is good. i just thought i would share this with all of you, because i was honestly very surprised.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:22 pm
hest59
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

unarmored only gives about 30 armor rating though at 100 and with 100 in its governing attribute at the same time, whereas light armor with glass gives you about 200 at 100 skill

Unarmored might be useful in itself, but is way inferior to the best armor inside any armor skill at the same skill level

If it really matters is another point though, in the beginning unarmored is quite strong compared to the other armor types since you already have the best unarmored armor hehe
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:29 pm
Legal_My_Deagle
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

never thought about that....because now that i think about it, my armor rating is like 18 and my speed (with +25 fortify from steed) is like 75, and my unarmored skill is like 20 or somethin like that...and my light armor is at same level as unarmored, but agility doesnt have a +25 governing attribute fortify for it =] and i AM in the begining of the game like i said, so i can believe you. but i thought that with unarmored skill, it is supposed to help you dodge more attacks? thats what the stat says in-game...so maybe while the armor rating IS higher with light, you might be dodging more attacks while using unarmored than vs light? if thats true, MAYBE with beast races, unarmored might be better....ill make a test character i thinik...but i still think unarmored is way better than i originally thought
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:46 pm
hest59
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hm, if you go with any armor skill plus unarmored you'll always be somewhat covered anyway, and if you find it's not enough you culd always pay someone to train you in the other types of armors later on, that's what I usually end up doing and mix any armor that looks fashionable

Yeah beast races are probably better off with unarmored and some other armor skills isnce they can't use boots and often not helms either. But it's really no problem after a while once yu rack up some cash and start using the armor yu find you'll be pretty unbreakable anyway hehe

Wish there was a benefit to carrying less + having higher unarmored, like in everquest, one of the things I actually liked about it when I played it was how the monk class was implemented, the less you carry the better your ac. It was a bit of a hassle if you carry more than 12 pounds or so your ac would drop dramatically, but it would be quite nice in mw.

I think all the armor skills says something about avoiding and absorbing damage, someone would have to do pretty extensive testing to figure out if you really dodge more with igher unarmored and such.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:12 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

quote:
Originally posted by hest59
unarmored only gives about 30 armor rating though at 100 and with 100 in its governing attribute at the same time, whereas light armor with glass gives you about 200 at 100 skill

Wrongo, kimosabe, my character is level 28 and has unarmored skill - currently naked with 63 armor rating. I am a plain fighter - no shield - 2 handed weapon. Nothing bothers me at all in this game.
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 1:23 am
hest59
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

YEah I tested it right now and with player->setunarmored 100 naked my char had exactly 65 actually, not alot compared to 200 for glass and above that for daedric and such with same skill in light/heavy still, but probably no problem anyway as yu are immortal even if you wander backwards naked into a daedric shrine with a bucket ver your head by the time you have that skill anyway
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 2:09 am
Legal_My_Deagle
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

thanks, but do you dodge more attacks?
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 2:26 am
Legal_My_Deagle
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

plz tell me somebody!!!!
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 5:49 am
Guest Dare

By the time my mage had 40+ skill in unarmored very few attacks actually ever hit. The AC listed is low but thats because your not wearing armor...

Unarmored is your dodging skill basically.

Another handy little tidbit about unarmored is that you can actually wear some armor with it and end up with the benefits of both. But I won't spoil you as to what you can/can not wear and still get the benefit of both.

Its kind of funny though to watch both skills rise at the same time
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 6:12 am

MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Guest Dare

Its kind of funny though to watch both skills rise at the same time

As much as you cannot aim your attacks, the game does support body part hits. Each hit will (I guess) make a roll to hit a different part of your body. I guess the contribution to total AR of each separate part is indicative of chances that part will get hit. I've noticed that when I used to walk around with a full suit of heavy armor underneath a robe, except my hat which I wore for fashion purposes to fit my robe. The hat was light armor. After a while with this setup, my light armor skill was increasing as well.

I have only one advice for you LMD. Pick what you think is right for your character within RP context and stick with it. You are going to have a poor experience with this game if only thing that matters is that one armor gives you an extra point in AR. That extra point in AR won't make a difference in the game. You playing a character that you like will make a LOT of difference.
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 2:13 pm
Legal_My_Deagle
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

ya good point, i lost sight of what was important....
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 11:31 pm

In my experience, unarmored is weird. I am an unarmored mage with armor rating around 40 (speed 100, agi 80ish, unarmored nearly 80).

I've found that:
- Kagoutis are really dangerous (hit hard and fast)
- the Sarano Hunger didn't even hit me once
- Ordinators kill me in 3 hits
- skeleton champions are a major threat

All that while running around with around 150 weight on me (of 390 max).

Somehow, I am not exactly seeing that great dodging ability unarmored is supposed to confer (unless its gets exponentially better at higher levels).

So for now, I chose to add the Lord's Mail to my setup (most armor I can get for the weight, AFAIK). Boosts my armor to around 60, helps a lot so far.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:15 am

Guest Dare

That's weird cause I only have an unarmored skill of 40 something. My AR is listed as 9!!! And I never get hit.... My agility is like 71 I think, speed in the 50-60 range. And I carry around 225 pounds of junk out of a max of 255.
I even killed my first flame atronach yesterday !
Their spells are nasty though If I didn't have the 50% resist from being a breton I would have died almost instantly, hee hee.

oh yeah, mage level 12 when I beat that atronach
Level 13 at the moment so maybe I haven't gotten to the really tough stuff yet.

I do use a paralyze dagger which helps a TON, but more often than not its out of charges... :/ I really hate that message!
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:03 am

Legal_My_Deagle
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

hmmm do you think that since when you are encumbered and you go slower, and that since unarmored skill's governing skill is speed, do you think that they made it so that when you carrying a lot of stuff that you dont dodge as much or something?
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:12 pm