Usergroups
Canīt fight!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Eriador
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I already regret having bought Gothic. Iīve never played a game with SO MANY bugs. OK, I should have known that it would run slowly on medium details on my PIII800 with 256MB RAM and a slightly tuned up RivaTNT2. OK, itīs annoying but Icould get over it. But the loads of story and gamebugs is just driving me insane. I can master most of them by cheating - but thatīs of course the worst way I have to go through - but I CAN`T BEAT PEOPLE UP! There is for example one guy you have to "convince" to change his hut in the new camp. The problem is that he doesnīt lose ANY energy when I try to prove my sword or any other melee weapon on him. Same thing was in the arena in the old camp where I couldnīt even hurt the two fighters I could challenge. So I tried it with other people, particularly in the New Camp, to see, whether everybody is invulnerable. And it proved right. So I tried to take them out with the bow - that works, everyone I couldnīt hurt with the sword dies from my arrows. But whatīs the point? I donīt want to kill everybody, just beat them up a little and grab their stuff.

Therefore I stopped playing. If I had the German version Iīd download the patch that fixes the storybugs but I have the polish one and I donīt even know if there is an English patch. If it exists, please give me a page I can download it from. Perhaps it will install, Iīll try it anyway...

But until now Iīm angry about the lack of support from the developers. I should have spent the money on something else...
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 6:21 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

You need to have a certain level of strength to be able to hurt people, especially when they are armored like the arena fighters.

Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 6:24 pm
Wruf
City Guard
City Guard

Eri, stop being so anal. :3 The thing with Shrike amused me greatly.

I tried to knock him down because I wanted my own place badly, I wanted a chest to store stuff in until I sold it (and I still use that chest). Of course, the first time I took on Shrike, he whupped my sorry arse. So that forced me into doing some training, wandering around and killing, buffing up my stats and so on.

When I came back later, I kicked his arse with ease. In Gothic, the only really bad bugs (that reoccur) are the winches. There are a couple of others but they are rare. Why is it that I've seen WAY buggier games out there that are more mainstream and yet they're complained about less. Do bigger companies simply build in conditioning programs into their games that simply haven't worked on me yet? Max Payne for example wouldn't even work on my SeaGate drive until a patch for SeaGates was released.

Every game has bugs, live with it. The ones in Gothic don't make it unplayable in the least (unlike that bloody MP bug) and as for the 'large amounts of story', if you didn't want a strong and well told tale, why did you buy an RPG? Has the US RPG market become so corrupt that the common RPG has turned into nothing more than a 3D version of Golden Axe, so much so that that's all people would expect? I want story in my RPGs and I'm glad Gothic had loads of it. :3
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 6:34 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Here are the equations how damage is calculated:
Damage Equations:
TargetLife = TargetLife - (WeaponDam + YourStr - TargetWeaProt)
TargetLife = TargetLife - (BowDam - TargetArrProt)

If you take a look at the first one itīs quite easy to understand that you donīt cause much damage when you are too weak and/or have an unadequate weapon.

I suggest you click on 'Hosted Sites' and download JemyMīs FAQ.

Patch 1.08k is only meant to fix startup issues, nothing else.
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 6:43 pm
Eriador
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hmm, I didnīt know that about the level of strength, Iīll try it.
As for the "large amounts of story" - did I complain about that? No, in RPGīs the story is the main factor, but if there are bugs that make it hard for me to live through the story, then thatīs bad. If that "fight" thing Iīve complained about is mentionable, then itīs allright, but there are far more things that annoy me in that game (to repeat: these arenīt things connected with the story itself but with the performance and the endproduct which in my opinion shouldnīt have been released that way).

And yes, Iīve never played such a bugged game and Iīve played quite many games. And whatīs that thing with GoldenAxe? Of course, that game was crap but take for example the Baldurīs Gate series or Icewind Dale. The stories were great, very few bugs for which a patch was fastly released, the splendid music...
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 6:51 pm
Wruf
City Guard
City Guard

Hoo-kay, a lot of points were missed or misunderstood there on both ends. I was merely pointing out the general simplicity and duldrum nature of RPGs today compared to Gothic, that's all. Furthermore, Gothic is revolutionary. So what if it has a few bugs? Pirahna Bites did something I haven't seen attempted in ages and I applaud them for that.

I'll take the buck here on misunderstanding your comment on suffering through stories rather than disliking them too. All you have to do if you discover a bug that you can't figure out is ask here. There are plenty of folk who'll help. I'm a golden rule person though, if a person is anal about something then I'll probably be anal right back at 'em. It isn't hard to ask nicely.
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 7:08 pm
Eriador
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

OK, I was just furious because that thing with fighting was killing me. And yes, Gothic is in fact a great game but all (or most) these bug-problems should have been fixed before release.
Hmm, as for questions - hereīs one: When I have both a bow and a melee weapon equipped how do I change within them when being in fight mode?
Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:07 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

'1' is the melee weapon.
'2' is the ranged weapon.
I don't even bother with the spacebar.

Post Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:13 pm