MM9 - Black chests...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
jasuk70
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

MM9 - Black chests...

Just a quick question about the black chests. So far i've managed to open just 1 of the chests. Do these chests have a set difficulty, ie would re-trying them a few times if they blow up in your face warrant any better chance at opening them, or if it fails then dont come back till you've had more training in disarm trap?

Jas
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 9:41 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Black chests

A grandmaster in "disarm trap" will open any black chest without any "accident". a "master" in disarm trap with a skill above 14 will open the black chests too, only with a very seldom risk of explossion.
If you don't have any character that can "Grandmaster" in disarm trap, then make an expert or master and put up their skill to 10, and use rings/amulets/other to boost it over ca. 14 for masters and over ca. 24 for experts.
Black chest almost all got an unique item, but they are put in the chests with a random generator!
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:03 am
Shadow_Fyre
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Micheal C. I am a little confused, is the additional skill added before or after expertise multipliers. Allow me to elaborate:

Additive

Base skill 10
Level Master
Bonus due to skill is skill level x3

Bonus skill due to magic items = +4

Final skill is (10x3) + 4= 34

Multiplicative (Not really a word)

the level would be (10+4)x3 = 42 total skill

I believe in previous M+M's the skill was only additive. You added the bonus after you multiplied your base times the expertise factor. I could be wrong.
Post Tue Apr 16, 2002 5:16 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

I'm think (10+4)X3 = 42 is the correct answer due to my experience with the effect of rings/amulets and other things enhancing your disarm skills.
But we can't really see it anywere, can we? But the effect "feels" more like an "multiplicative"(If a fellow with english as native language can use this word, I can too ) system to me.
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:46 am

multiplicative

'... "multiplicative"(If a fellow with english as native language can use this word, I can too ) system to me.'

FYI - This is a real word, properly used (I am a mathematician by trade).
Post Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:25 pm

Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Okay, no problem then. To our fellow American "Shadow-Fyre": You have not invented a new word, just concluded you to the right word, and I have not insulted the english language (this time) by using it careless!
Post Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:16 am
Guest Dare

I'm interested in how your going to get a bonus of +14 to ANY skill with amulets and rings...
Because no matter how many times I try and equip an entire set of items geared towards a specific skill ONLY one bonus is applied to the skill. It is always the highest bonus of the items.

Example:
Equip a bunch of +1 disarm rings
Equip a +5 disarm belt
Equip a +2 disarm amulet
Total bonus to disarm = +5

The only bonuses I have found that stack between items are those that give bonuses to statistics. (might, magic, accuracy, etc...)
Post Fri May 10, 2002 7:17 am

Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Guest Dare
I'm interested in how your going to get a bonus of +14 to ANY skill with amulets and rings...
Because no matter how many times I try and equip an entire set of items geared towards a specific skill ONLY one bonus is applied to the skill. It is always the highest bonus of the items....

In my experience, this is correct. I have gotten no stacking of bonuses, but I have also found that like MM6-8 Master disarm is enough. I have had no blow ups with just master disarm and a +1 skill bonus (and no NPCs).

Hmmm, Guest Dare - could NPCs boost your bonus up? Do their bonuses stack with items? I never use them so I don't know.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 12:39 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I didn't have any problems with black chests once I reached master either.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Fri May 10, 2002 2:28 pm
Guest Dare

I'm not aware of any NPC's that give bonus to disarm but I wouldn't notice it even if they did. I'm grandmaster disarm
Post Fri May 10, 2002 3:22 pm

Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Guest Dare
I'm not aware of any NPC's that give bonus to disarm but I wouldn't notice it even if they did. I'm grandmaster disarm

Still, all in all an interesting question. If items don't stack for skills do NPCs and items stack? Do NPCs stack?

I am interested on a purely intellectual level since I don't believe in using M&M NPCs. I feel a party should be 100% self contained. I had to use a repair NPC in 6, and it bummed me out to no end. (toward the end of the game (like LvLs 60 -> 70) I got everyone to top repair skill. I just got tired of always moving the broken stuff around.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 4:31 pm
machaira
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yes NPCs and Item bonuses do stack.

I used the merchant NPC found in Guberland, throughout the game. His +6 bonus was added with my character's merchant skill and so was the bonus from the highest item of the same benefit that the character possessed.

Not sure about current system but in past M&M games the bonus was added from different items i.e. weapon, armour, ring/amulet. Three distinct unrelated groups.

btw I also used the Mage NPC from Trojorgard.
She is the best for the cost of hiring.
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 11:08 pm