Members
Usergroups
Patch and Left Mouse Button Issues?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Cable

Patch and Left Mouse Button Issues?

I recently installed the patch for Morrowind, and ever since then I've noticed a problem that comes and goes seemingly sporadically (yesterday it didn't happen the whole time I was playing, today it just happened three times):

The left mouse button seemingly refuses to work properly. I can still open doors in the game, and I can still trigger conversations, but nothing gets highlighted in any of the options, dialogue, or inventory menus, which means I have to alt-tab out of the game, ctrl-alt-del exit the game, and then start over. Just curious: has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any ideas about possible troubleshooting or even suggestions? Thanks.

I should state that the mouse works fine with every other application and game that I'm currently running, so I don't think it's the mouse.
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:26 pm

Prgrmr@wrk
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I get the same thing, since I installed the patch. Can't do anything at all in menus or my inventory. Have to restart morrowind to make it work again.

Every other program is fine though.
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:06 pm
LarryPhunk
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hmmm...haven't had that happen to me yet since I've installed the patch (I think it was last week?).
Have you tried uninstalling your mouse, then letting windows detect and re-install it? Not sure if it'll work but sounds like it's worth a try.
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:12 pm
Prgrmr@wrk
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

That would be a waste of effort. It works fine again, once you close and reload the game. It's only happened two or three times so far, luckily.
But reinstalling the drivers wouldn't change anything, it's not the os or hardware that's got the glitch, it's most likely a mistoggled variable in the patch somewhere.
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:09 pm
FireAnt
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

hmmm that's happened o me a few times too, i have a logitech mouse, and the game also likes to crash when i load saves
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:53 pm
Cable

I can't imagine it's the brand of mouse, yet I don't see any other posts like this one. Hmmm.... I'm using a Kensington 5-button mouse, and the weird mouse problem might almost seem area-specific. I noticed it has a tendency to happen more in the area surrounding Hla Oad, and perhaps north of Vivec, near Pelagiad. Anyone else notice this?
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:05 pm

Gally

Me too

I'm having same problems. I don't think it's hardware related, since it happens only when I load up the old save files. Fresh-started character after patch doesn't have problems.
So bye-bye to my level-37 Breton Sorceress... she's done the main quests, anyway.
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:49 am

Cable

You're saying it's a conflict between old games and the new patch? To hell with that! I'm keeping my 30th level Telvanni Orc! I'll put up with the nuisance for the main quest and hope that a future patch fixes this problem.
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:10 pm

Cable

I just restarted the game as a greedy, magic-wielding Dark Elf with a penchant for stealing useless items from baskets, sacks, and chests and then selling them to the local merchants for quick cash. The news is, that weird left-mouse button problem is still there. I just ran into it while exploring the area west of Seyda Neen. Frustrating. but I'm too dedicated to stop playing!

Completely off the topic:

Any suggestions as to which house to join? I might play with my new character a bit (he's growing one me), but should I a) join House Telvanni again (I really, really like them!), or b) join another house just to see what it's like, or c) download somebody's mod that lets me join all houses at once?
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 3:58 pm