Hit Point problem and crypt/food question
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Warmskin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Hit Point problem and crypt/food question

I am at level 5 and I noticed that my Health Points are at 70 (actually only 63 if I remove all equipment). My constitution however is at 10 and according to the manual I'm supposed to have a whole lot more HP than 63. It states: Const. of 10 = 20 x (lev+1). That w/b 20 x 6 =120, not 63. Is it just too early in the morning and I'm missing something quite obvious? If so, my apologies... Please explain (or is this a bug?). Thanks.
Also, now that I'm in the crypt I notice I'm hungry a lot more often. It's definitely much more noticeable. Anyone else experience this? Thanks again. And thanks for the Shany help. I saved her.
Post Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:45 pm
OctU
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Both the Arx manual and the Arx GameInfo guide posted on rpgdot.com list incorrect formulas for determining Health Points (HP). Like you, I was frustrated at these glaringly wrong formulas, so I decided to figure out what the correct formulas should be.

After thoroughly experimenting with new and previously saved characters, I calculated definitively that the single formula used in Arx version 1.17 for determining Health Points is:

HP = Con*(Lvl+2).

So if your character is level 5 with a Constitution of 10, then you should have 10*(5+2) = 70 Health Points before ANY modifications are applied.

As for the hunger problem, I never took the time to thoroughly determine if in fact the TYPE or QUANTITY of food consumed at one time can make a difference in how long it sates hunger pangs. From my general observations, it seemed that the more valuable (i.e. how much a trader will offer for it) the food type was, the longer it would sate my hunger. I never ate more than one piece of food at one time whenever I was hungry, so I have no idea if quantity of food consumed could affect hunger frequency. Of course it's also possible that the pangs could simply be randomized throughout the game, with no correlation between it's frequency of occurring and the last food type or quantity of food consumed.
Post Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:33 pm
Warmskin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

HP manual discrepancy

You replied:

Both the Arx manual and the Arx GameInfo guide posted on rpgdot.com list incorrect formulas for determining Health Points (HP). Like you, I was frustrated at these glaringly wrong formulas, so I decided to figure out what the correct formulas should be.

After thoroughly experimenting with new and previously saved characters, I calculated definitively that the single formula used in Arx version 1.17 for determining Health Points is:

HP = Con*(Lvl+2).

So if your character is level 5 with a Constitution of 10, then you should have 10*(5+2) = 70 Health Points before ANY modifications are applied.

Thanks. This seems close, but as I said, I only have 63 *before* any equip. mods. Of course, 63 is a whole lot closer to 70 than to 120, so your estimated calcs of what is really happening seem much closer than the manual as well as making me feel a lot better about my stats.
So, thanks very much. I greatly appreciate your quick reply. And did I mention, I *love* this game?
Post Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:58 am
OctU
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

The formula is not "close", it is dead accurate, which means you have a Constitution of 9, not 10 when no items are equipped on your character. The only way to have 63 HP's at Level 5 would be to have a Con of 9. Let's check the formula: 9*(5+2)=63.

Check your Con stat carefully with no items equipped. The fact that you said you had 70 HP's before removing all your equipment indicates that some piece of your equipment gives you a Con +1 bonus, which when equipped would make you have a Con of 10. And again, the formula verifies this: 10*(5+2)=70.

Seeing a Con of 10 for your character obviously made you think you had a Con of 10 all along, when in fact your base Con is actually 9 before applying a Con bonus from equipment.
Post Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:05 am
Warmskin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

You are correct, sir!

quote:
Originally posted by OctU
The formula is not "close", it is dead accurate, which means you have a Constitution of 9, not 10 when no items are equipped on your character. The only way to have 63 HP's at Level 5 would be to have a Con of 9. Let's check the formula: 9*(5+2)=63.

Check your Con stat carefully with no items equipped. The fact that you said you had 70 HP's before removing all your equipment indicates that some piece of your equipment gives you a Con +1 bonus, which when equipped would make you have a Con of 10. And again, the formula verifies this: 10*(5+2)=70.

Seeing a Con of 10 for your character obviously made you think you had a Con of 10 all along, when in fact your base Con is actually 9 before applying a Con bonus from equipment.

Yes, my Ciprian sword adds (among other attributes) +1 to Const. Thanks for pointing that out (I should have noticed the '10' was in blue). Appreciate your time and all the help.
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:20 pm
OctU
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

You're welcome, and glad to see someone enjoying the game as much as I did. Arx is one the best games I've ever played.

Only character attribute recommendation I could make would be, regardless of character type, make sure that by Level 9 you have at least 12 Strength. This will allow you to equip certain items that will be VERY helpful in the final showdown.

Speaking of the Str attribute, you'll notice that both Bone Powder and Dragon Bone Powder are listed as giving a Str bonus when enchanting them to weapons. But their specific bonus amounts are not listed in the manual or on rpgdot.com. I discovered that Bone Powder gives a +1 bonus to Str, while Dragon Bone Powder gives a whopping +3 to Str!
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:55 pm
Warmskin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Thanks... and a few questions

quote:
Originally posted by OctU
You're welcome, and glad to see someone enjoying the game as much as I did. Arx is one the best games I've ever played.

Only character attribute recommendation I could make would be, regardless of character type, make sure that by Level 9 you have at least 12 Strength. This will allow you to equip certain items that will be VERY helpful in the final showdown.

Speaking of the Str attribute, you'll notice that both Bone Powder and Dragon Bone Powder are listed as giving a Str bonus when enchanting them to weapons. But their specific bonus amounts are not listed in the manual or on rpgdot.com. I discovered that Bone Powder gives a +1 bonus to Str, while Dragon Bone Powder gives a whopping +3 to Str!

My Str is 13 (14 with my sword equipped), so I'm good there. A couple of questions if you don't mind:
1) At what level can you actually pick a lock? I'm at 40 technical and all I do is use up my tool sets.
2) Do skills only advance when you get to 30,40,50 for example? What I mean is, is a skill of 45 in 'technical' eg. any better than 40? Or do I have to wait until I reach 50 to see a difference? Does this go for all skills?
3) Without giving away any hints, do the wooden 'trap doors' in the floors (there's one in the armory, eg.) ever open? You know, the ones with the gold latches... Don't tell me where if they do, please just a yes or no, so I know if I can stop double clicking on them already.
Thanks... I'm in the Crypt right now, BTW. This game has all the elements that make up my favorites when it comes to games. Just wish I could annotate the map like in UW1 and UW2. I'm surprised you can't actually, considering how the developers apparently enjoyed those games. Great job, anyway... maybe in Arx2.
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:37 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I never used lockpick too much, though I did find that sometimes it was random. Those trap doors were left over from a feature that wasn't implemented. One will eventually open, but there's no point in clicking on them. I thought one of the patches deactivated them!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:50 pm
OctU
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

If you hear your character say "It's too complicated for me", or "It's impossible" when trying to pick a lock, then you will NEVER be able to pick that lock at your current Technical skill level. If you hear your character say "Hmm…not a very successful attempt", or "Hmm…I think I've damaged my tools" when trying to pick a lock, then you have at least SOME chance of success at picking that lock, and that chance of success (slight or excellent) depends on your Technical skill level. Finally, if you try to open something that is locked and don't hear your character say anything at all, it can ONLY be opened under special circumstances, such as by a specific key or by a specific script that is triggered in the game.

Locks are not all equal in complexity -- some locks on chests and doors require a higher level of Technical skill to open than others. Note also that while some doors and chests have keys to them, many do not, and can only be opened by lock picking them.

As you can see from the Arx manual, skills seem to confer bonuses only when their numbers are multiples of 10 (rounded down). So having a 49 in a skill will apparently confer no more bonuses than having a 40 in that same skill. Only upon reaching 50 in that skill would an increase in corresponding bonuses be applied.

As for trap doors, Corwin is correct, they never open except for one, and you will know which one when the time comes.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:08 am