Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Anyone have general combat tips / techniques that work well?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
hereticiv
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Anyone have general combat tips / techniques that work well?

I'm not that great at combat and things like the shadow beast, wargs, trolls, skeletons (not lower but full skeletons) just kick my ass. I'm level 9 using a long sword and I'm a merc in chapter one. I really want to learn how to use blocking more effectively as well as moving and fighting to be able to defeat multiple enimies. For instance, if two skeletons attack me I'm screwed! Any general tips would be welcome, thanks
Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:32 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

Well, what I have been oing since gothic 1 was, swiping, blocking, swiping (I use a different direction eah time and develop a pattern from here), block and so on. About multiple enemies, don't swipe wildly, concentrate on one, imagine that the other one isn't even there, when that one is down, move onto the next. May not work for everyone, but it works for me fine. (at least in gothic 1, I havn't played gothic 2 as much as I would want to)

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:48 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

run.
alot.

No seriously, you need to do a lil sword-swinging practice to get a feel for the combos.

I know for a fact you can link a forward attack with a left or a right. And you can link left attack with a right attack (and vice versa).

Add in the occasional strafe and you can begin putting sweet short lil combos together. Your level of sword skill will increase the speed and amount of attacks you can link before 'tiring out'.
Also, the best time to attack is
a) Just as they come running into the range of your weapon, you get the 1st strike in, you can gain the advantage
b) The block in the game is a a lot shorter than G1 (ie you can just stand there in blocked mode however long you like) If you parry an oncoming attack, you can get at least 2 nice deep counter attacks in on your enemy. Again, sword skill will increase the dmg and amount of attacks you'll be able to pull off before he recovers
Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:14 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

If you´re using Gothic 1 controls the combat chapter in JemyM´s FAQ is still a good read.
Post Sat Jun 21, 2003 4:11 am
Broco
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I just press the action button, if the sword is in the right place ie. at the end of each swing he will do a combo. Might be easier to do if you are more skilled in the weapon. One is screwed for awhile since the enemies almost never attacks 1 on 1. I could in knights armour and ore weapon handle 3 orcs without getting almost any damage if I was lucky. Any more I´d die in a few seconds unable to attack back. Timing is everthing, and when to block. Also if you are too weak I.e. just have enough strenght, your attacks will be slow and clumsy, and your character takes longer to recover after each swing, thats what it felt like anyway. Dunno could be based more on skill?
Post Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:12 pm
bora
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Try few moments with no monsters and surely you can find right combination for you and feel the timing.
Post Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:31 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Get 30% with onehanded weapons(expert), and use the combo.

Hold ctrl, and press up-up-up-up, then repeat the process. Depending on foe you might want to block inbetween.

If you face several opponents, run untill you get one alone(the others either get stuck or fall off).
Post Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:39 pm
misfit
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have found that with most monsters(orcs, wargs, bandits etc...) two swipes, retreat, wait for new charge and two swipes again does the trick. You usually hit with both strokes if you hit them when they charge you and then they fall back, preparing for a new charge. This buys you enough time to retreat and prepare for the next attack. With this tactic, the orcs and wargs usually never even touch me

If you follow up with a third stroke(usually a uppercut if it is a combo) they block and you are wide open to an counterattack...and if it is a beast that bites hard, you are in trouble
Post Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:57 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Aside from the good advice about swinging, I've found that is it useful to use a really weak spell scroll, like fire arrow, to target/hit a single foe from a pack. Even with my superhuman Dragon hunter char(lvl 35+. hvy ore dragon slayer, hvy drag. slayer armor, 100+% in both str and dex, 100%master 1 and 2 hand, 100%master crossbow 60+mana,everything but runes learned,40k+ gold, 35 LP's left), if i activate a big group of orcs, I'm dead meat(even with Biff helping out) A couple elites, a shaman, and 4-5 orcs is about the max I can handle at once.(Take out the first to arrive, then target the shaman, then any elites left. After that it's a cake walk )

Also remember you can't parry animals.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:02 am
linkitch
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I've tried several techniques and they all work well...

1. Stand you ground and just cut from side to side, works best with one opponent, but when you get stronger it also works very well with multiple... This works well because the AI always tries to charge you, but when you swing from side to side you hit them and they jump back so you can just continue this...

2. Swing from side to side until the enemy is near, and when you hit him once with a sideway swing then when you ready to swing another time switch to forward attack, if you have enough skill you should continue your attack in a combo, and kill them bitch...

3. When the opponent charges block his attack and immediately after attack him, works best if you only attack once, and just continue doing the same thing over and over again...
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:23 pm
hereticiv
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I just want to thank everyone for their input. I finally got the timeing down to really kick ass. After getting the orc slayer and becoming a master and using the combo tips you all gave me it was like the good old days in Gothic 1. I just forgot how to fight well since it has been over a year since I played the first Gothic. Now, its off to chapter 2 to use my new skills to destroy each and every orc I find!
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:35 pm