Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Help! Is There A Compass Or Permanent Map???
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
RB26DETT
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Help! Is There A Compass Or Permanent Map???

Is there a compass that can be purchased, or some kind of map whic will stay on screen while you move? Im finding this game frustrating with no compass or in the corner map.
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:10 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Get a map from Graham in the Old Camp (near the main gate). Then you can see your location and the direction you´re facing when you press M.
A few hours into the game you won´t need a map at all. The world is pretty small.
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:55 am
RB26DETT
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Not a big world as in, in comparison to Morrowind? Are all the quests usually sentred around the 3 main camps?

Sticking to the main storyline most of the time, how long would I expect to take to finish the game (or main quest)?
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:39 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You can run from one end to the other in 10 minutes if you´re not disturbed. This is compensated by the very efficient landscape design. We have 7 maps on GothicDot. Go, have a look.
The game is linear after chapter 1. Average playing time is 50 hours +/- 20 hours.
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:58 pm
RB26DETT
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Still a pretty decent amount of time to spend on this game! I think Morrowind didnt even take that long. I must admit though, I didnt think I would get into this game, with the controls and all. Must say, its one of the best RPG games I have ever played (alongside Morrowind). I only just installed it 2 days ago (im a couple of years late). Runs awesome with this 9700Pro.

Apart from Gothic 2, what other games are out there ATM like this and morrowind? I was a big fan of the original Zelda games, on the super NES. Gothic is one of the closest I can find to it
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:03 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by RB26DETT
Still a pretty decent amount of time to spend on this game! I think Morrowind didnt even take that long. I must admit though, I didnt think I would get into this game, with the controls and all. Must say, its one of the best RPG games I have ever played (alongside Morrowind). I only just installed it 2 days ago (im a couple of years late). Runs awesome with this 9700Pro.

In the cheat guide are a few tricks to make it look even better. In the gallery/.../special is an unofficial patch to unlock the frame rate.

quote:
Apart from Gothic 2, what other games are out there ATM like this and morrowind? I was a big fan of the original Zelda games, on the super NES. Gothic is one of the closest I can find to it

Use the search function. Only the question "I´m a meat bug, how can I transform back?" has been asked more often.
The short answer: only Ultima 9 is similar.
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:58 pm
RB26DETT
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Could somebody please tell me step by step how to apply the gothicfps delimiter thingie?

Ive extracted it, but when I go to run it, it opens up a box for me to choose a mod file?

I have no idea. I extracted the player kit 1.08k to my gothic directory, and when I chose gothicmod, it said the patch was successful. Now, if I try to run the gothic starter executable on my desktop, it does nothing.
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:59 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I never tried it. Afaik you have to
1. install patch 1.08k
2. install player kit 1.08k
3. run the patch and get the message you had
4. start gothic through gothicstarter.exe
5. now bfrateb should display often more than 23 fps

Be careful, this thing is unofficial and unsupported.
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:22 am
RB26DETT
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

OK. The 1.08k patch is in, and I extracted the fps files, which are in my c:\progra...\piranha..\gothic directory. (gothicfps.exe and gothicfps.ccp)

Now though, I cant run gothicmod.exe (I just get a windows error box). Also, the gothic starter dir on my desktop wont start. The GothicMod.exe file is in my system folder.
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:27 am
RB26DETT
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Whoa!!!

WELL DONE to whoever made this fps patch. Worked wonders for me. This game is beautiful now, im getting a constant 65-75fps in the areas at the front of the old camp, with the view distance set to 300% (through gothic.ini)

Absolutely awesome looking game now. Is there any other settings I can change to make this fabulous looking game look even better?
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:35 am
RB26DETT
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Is there an option for increased FSAA and Anisotropic. My control panel is set to 6xAA and 16xAnisotropic, but I think my card can do 8xAA (control panel only goes to 6x). Can this be altered in a gothic config file?
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:43 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Read the FAQ page in the cheat guide.
No idea about the FSAA thing.
How exactly did you activate the patch? I need this for the pdf version of the cheat guide.
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:17 am
RB26DETT
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

1. Run gothic_playerkit-1.08k.exe, which will extract files (specify C:\Program Files\Piranha-bytes\Gothic).
2. Extract GothicFps.zip into the same directory.
3. Run GothicFps.exe, and choose GothicMod.exe. After this, you should get a box saying that the patch was successful.
4. Now, run the Gothic-starter Icon on your desktop, which will bring up a box with options to start with no sound, etc. In the left box, just double click where it says "Gothic the game (1.0. I then checked the fps by going to the stats screen, typing marvin and then pressing F2, and then typing toggle frame. Voila!!! works like a charm, although first time I installed the player kit and tried to run the gothic starter, it couldnt find the file. All I did then was reinstall the pack, repatch, and it was fine.

Also, is there an easier was of displaying FPS without having to do the marvin cheat?
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:46 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

bfrateb
As mentioned above.
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:15 am