need guidence
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
zuman
Village Leader
Village Leader

need guidence

lev 12.joined mercs, have meadium armor,using fine longsword.stra. 87, dex 42. I am a melee player.love games like neverwinter,diablo2 divine divinity morrowind etc.usually I buff my char. up to a point that I rule the balance of the games.I am sure many other players would play differently,hovever playing this way "floats my boat". In gothic 2 I don't seem able to do this.I am still not able to kill a skeleton,troll,black troll,shadowbeast,firedragon or even several orc warriors at the same time.am I missing something or just not a high enough level which is ok,I can wait.As you can tell I am a hack and slash player. Is there a time in the game when you can just kill a black troll or a golem by attacking.any suggestions are welcome. THANKS
Post Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:47 pm
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

You need better armor. You only get it through the quests and the progression of the story line. Some of these critters you can defeat at this point by parrying. Skeletons for instance. Some you can defeat with bow or xbow. I hope you meant the fire lizard though cause you can't defeat the dragons until you have the eye of innos. You're not missing anything. Eventually you will be able to beat every living thing on both maps.

REMEMBER... Many saves, many slots!!!
Post Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:47 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there zuman,

If your a hack & slash man, are you mastering the tecnique, if you use the mouse its more difficult, there are more fight tactics which can be better used
by using the keyboard, are you "locking on" o.k? are you circling ok? can you
hold parry when you attack? can you straff & parry, this takes split second
timing but it sure helps kill the monsters/hostiles and boost your xp points.

Post Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:51 pm
zuman
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Wulf
Hey there zuman,

If your a hack & slash man, are you mastering the tecnique, if you use the mouse its more difficult, there are more fight tactics which can be better used
by using the keyboard, are you "locking on" o.k? are you circling ok? can you
hold parry when you attack? can you straff & parry, this takes split second
timing but it sure helps kill the monsters/hostiles and boost your xp points.

Hi wulf, your comments are great.what is "locking on".What are the keyboard commands for fighting?I try to move to get the best advantage not sure if I am doing it right.In all honesty, that is not what I like to do.The best time I have is going head to head and hacking them to death.The "buffing" of a character is very exciting to me.Trying to kill with evasive moves is not fun, from my prespective.Much thanks
Post Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:01 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Just check the controls (In game press escape, settings, controls I think).

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:15 am
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

@Zuman

Locking in, meaning targeting. I don't know if you are using the mouse to attack or not. It's easier with the keyboard. Use ctrl to target and the arrow keys to attack. As long as your ctrl key is pressed, the same monster will remain targeted or 'locked' until you release. Parrying is a bit of a pain, it only works with weapon carrying monsters also (orcs, lizardmen, human, skeletons etc..) but it can save you in some battles.

Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:43 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Yes, parrying can sometimes be a pain, but get this,

fighting tactics codes are "very" interactive. pressing the parry key at the same time as the attack key, then releasing, then quickly straffing, will con- fuse the enemy, also and this is "MOST" important, the single parry prior to
reversing will "fetch on" the enemy, he/it will come forward, (by default in the game fight code) then you thrust in to kill.

I am amazed at the number of gamers who do not use this tactic!
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:38 am
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

You can't compare this to Hack and slash games. This is completely different You'll need to be high lvl to make this game as easy as an hack and slash and even then.
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:38 pm
zuman
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by titus
You can't compare this to Hack and slash games. This is completely different You'll need to be high lvl to make this game as easy as an hack and slash and even then.

hi titus, I am lev 16 now and you are 100% right.This game takes skills that other games do not.I am just starting to understand this.All the players on this fourm are great.You all make a newbie's game more enjoyable. thanks again to all who answered
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:13 pm
SlackJaw
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Question

From reading the post, it seems a monster will only stay targetted while holding down the control key. My character seems to stay locked on a target regardless of whether I am holding CTRL (or LMB in my case). I end up circle strafing around an enemy instead of doing a straight side step. This is not a problem unless I am facing multiple enemys. When this happens (which is nearly 98% of the time I am fighting), I have to use the mouse to face the other target, and then the "autolock" attaches to this foe.

I am using the Gothic 1 controls for combat because of the higher degree of control of the swordplay that is allowed, but is there a setting somewhere that disables this "autolock" feature.

(Note: this "autolock" is the same thing that occurs when you pass a healing plant on the ground. It receives the "focus" so to speak. This targetting will also occur when I am in the middle of combat.)

Thanks for your help.

SlackJaw
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:48 pm
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

That's just the name coming up if you are not holding the ctrl key down, try this, there is a control in options that allows a targeting box to come up. That will tell you exactly which monster you are attacking.

Also, a lot of monsters can be lured off one at a time, particularly snappers etc. You can back away to lure them away from their 'buddies'. Just don't run with snappers as the whole pack comes after you then.

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:25 pm
SlackJaw
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Perhaps I Didn't Explain this Well...

Yes, the name does come up, but that is what I am trying to figure out how to adjust. I have a difficult time locking onto the target I want because it will lock on the monster you are facing. Is there a way to reduce this view "cone", so you have to be more precise when you face something. The angle seems to be too wide, and it is difficult to stop looking at one particular foe to focus on a particular enemy.

Also, I am aware that you can pull out single monsters, but I think it is awesome to try and tackle as many monsters as possible at one time using my 1H sword. (I am level 25, now, and I can take down 4-5 Orcs at once. Still get my ass whooped by 2 skeletons, though - damn 2 handed weapons; they hurt.)

If anyone knows some INI/egine setting (in the console) to reduce this "target" angle, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

SJ
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:56 pm
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

Don't know about narrowing targeting. I know it's usually the closest monster. Sorry, I can't help more with targeting.

Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:22 pm