Star Wolves: Review @ Jolt
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Star Wolves: Review @ Jolt

Jolt has posted a <a href="http://www.jolt.co.uk/index.php?articleid=3439" target="_blank">review</a> of Xbow's 'Star Wolves', belting the space strategy/RPG with a score of 4/10:<blockquote><em>We hate having to bash the produce of lesser known teams on an obviously smaller budget, but we’re here to give an honest opinion. Unfortunately, our opinion in this case is that Star Wolves is a mess. The controls are unfriendly and fiddly, and missions are interspersed with boring uneventful flights and dull combat. It’s also full of bugs, many of which reside in the tutorial. The AI is dreadful, leading to situations where your fighters literally bounce off one another when ordered to form up. Add to this the entirely underwhelming and rather boring RPG elements, and the sum total isn’t a pretty sight.</em></blockquote>Personally, I'm enjoying this one so far.
Post Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:14 am
fatBastard()
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

This game is far from perfect. There are indeed a few minor bugs (none of them show-stoppers) and the translations are reminiscent of Final Fantasy games (or most japanese -> english translations for that matter) ... but come on!

First a 4.6 from Clubskill and now a 4 from Jolt and in both cases it is painfully obvious that they hardly played the game at all. The A.I. issue with ship to ship combat (or lack thereof) that they both critize only occurs when you fail to form up your fighters into wings but of course you have to play the game a bit in order to get more wingmen

The fact that you can't shoot straight when you haven't invested any points in your gunnery skills just goes to show that the RPG elements actually DO work when your buddy Ace makes them drop like flies once he has gotten the "Legendary Sniper" skill ... which again they would know if they actually played the game

In other words: Star Wolves really ISN'T as bad as both Jolt and Clubskill are trying to make it appear to be and I, like Dhruin, am rather enjoying playing it.
Post Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:39 am
Dr. A

Yeah, i agree... Star Wolves is a fun game and the first 2 reviews seem to be unfairly harsh.

Star Wolves has great graphics and is mostly a space strategy game with strong RPG elements. It may not appeal to everyone but i think it's worth a try. I recommend ppl try out the demo 1st.

Personally, i'd rate it 7.5/10 .. at least, And i've just played 3-4 missions
Post Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:14 am

Subject

Yes this game rocks, jolt should go to hell
Post Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:38 pm

There are only 2 problems with this game. Firstly i've had pilots run into objects, like... each other. Occaisionally yes, but it's a major pain. The only other problem with this game is right at the end. trying to coordinate 4 pilots in taking out 4 targets at the same time or very close to it. It's very hard given the tendancy of the ai to fly away and then swoop back in... on stationary targets??? If they'd just sit still and shoot at targets that aren't moving or shooting back this section would get a whole lot less frustrating.
Post Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:19 am

I guess they have to keep moving or they would be an easy target, a stationary fighter is easy to destroy.
Post Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:56 pm

ShaoFuTzer

Star Wolves

I really like the game also. I had a hard time getting into it but once I played with it a little it became extremely addictive. I would have to agree that anyone who would rate this game badly either aren't into the genre or haven't really played it. I almost gave up once I tried the tutorial. I'm glad I didn't!
Post Mon May 30, 2005 6:11 pm