Planescape: Torment - Torment Revisited @ GwJ
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Planescape: Torment - Torment Revisited @ GwJ

Gamers with Jobs has a guest article from a reader titled <a href="http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/index.php?module=News&func=display&sid=1162" target="_blank">Torment Revisited</a> - part editorial on stories in games and part reminiscing about this great RPG:<blockquote><em>As of this writing, two weeks have passed since I decided to play through Planescape: Torment, and much has changed in the interim. My outlook on gaming has changed. My appreciation of gaming's past and my expectations for its future have been bolstered. My zest for life has increased, my six terminal illnesses have been miraculously cured, and my libido has never been more active. All of this, thanks to one game!</em></blockquote>
Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:54 pm

Give me a break. PS:T has always been overrated and continues to be. It was not even the best of the BIS games, much less a great RPG. It was closer to an adventure game than an RPG considering that you are pigeon holed into a character called of all things the "Namelss One"...
Post Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:56 pm

what the...

Argh, Give me a break,

I guess you even don't know what a RPG is... If something is a RPG, it is Planescape Torment..but you are really to stupid to understand the depth of the game.

Greetz, Tim
Post Mon May 30, 2005 11:13 pm

Hedek
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Planescape Torment and Fallout give sense to the word "underated".
Great games, maybe not the best gameplay, often complicated to control, very average graphics even for when they were released but, there's the story, there's the true achievement of transcripting the unlimited imigination of PnP RPG to computers. I never had as much sense as being in a "virtual world where I can do whatever I want and costumize my character" as in Fallout 2. PsT is a close second, with less freedom but a more original imaginative world.

Heck the main character himself is unique, half dead, half immortal, nameless yet not a god spawn. There are many outstanding game moments in it, such as dealing with a Fallen Angel, dealing with the own incarnations of yourself, beating the "boss" only through talking him to self destruct rather than going for the inevitable fight, learn from your companions and really interract with them more than just meat shields to help you fight, etc, etc

PsT is not for everyone, the fact it didn't sell much proves it, yet all those who have a voice on the internet (reviewers, fan site runners, etc) speak highly of it. The mass market prefers unimaginative brain-less one-direction one-story games like Diablo. But of course we're in a society where "the mass is right", so you can rightfully say Blizzard is smart and Black Isle is stupid when it comes to understanding the market and making successful games.
But "overated" I can not accept, perhaps it's just me but I don't think a product that sold little could be described as "overated".
If you want to remake history and say which was overated and which isn't I'd say Diablo was more successful than it deserved and PsT should have deserved more "costumers".
Post Tue May 31, 2005 8:30 am