Casting Ignite
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Casting Ignite

I got some runes. The game said now cast ignite on torches on the wall to light them.

I followed the manual and I think ignite is a left to right straight line, the first rune. This is followed by a down stroke, left to right, and then half up (the third or fourth rune).

Ok. I click Ctrl to enter magic mode and attempt to draw the runes. I see a nice colorful display but nothing happens. Where are these torches on the wall. Am I supposed to click on them before or after drawing the runes? There's nothing to click on. Am I supposed to do the left to ight line over three or four circles - little images you see as you move the cursor.

This interface is awfully hard to use. I am having a very hard time with all sorts of things, like picking up things and using them.

Now my character keeps telling me he's hungry. He ate a carrot and a mushroom but he complains about raw rat ribs. How do I cook them. How do I shut him up? The carrot didn't last him long.
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:09 am
Morahn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

First you need to find the torches and make sure you're somewhere close and hold control and the left mouse button down and draw the first rune in the air (size doesn't matter). Let go of the left mouse button only you should here a deep voice call the name the rune. Hold down the left mouse button again and draw the second rune. You should here the voice call it's name again. Let go of all the buttons and your charachters hand should swoop and the torch will ignite.
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:27 am
Morahn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

First you need to find the torches and make sure you're somewhere close and hold control and the left mouse button down and draw the first rune in the air (size doesn't matter). Let go of the left mouse button only you should here a deep voice call the name the rune. Hold down the left mouse button again and draw the second rune. You should here the voice call it's name again. Let go of all the buttons and your charachters hand should swoop and the torch will ignite.

You can do this near a fire place where you can then drag the rat ribs out of your inventory and put them near the fire. They will cook for about 2 seconds making a popping noise. When there color changes there done and ready to eat.
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:29 am
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by Morahn

You can do this near a fire place where you can then drag the rat ribs out of your inventory and put them near the fire. They will cook for about 2 seconds making a popping noise. When there color changes there done and ready to eat.

Blessed are you. Thanks.
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:18 am
Morahn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

No Problem. My friend showed me how to play. I got off easy.

(I always wanted to use one of those emoticons)
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:22 am
OctU
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

First, if you haven't already, make sure to download and apply the latest Arx patch, ver 1.17. The patch will greatly reduce the frequency with which your character needs to eat, and fix many other things in the game as well.

You don't need to click on the wall torches at any time -- just cast ignite while you are near them and they will light. As Morahn pointed out, you can also use this technique to re-ignite smoldered camp fires to cook your food.

One of the great frustrations many people had with Arx (including myself) was how poorly the game interpreted or recognized rune symbols as you tried to draw them. It can take some practice in drawing a rune before you can get the game to recognize it with some consistency. You will know you have drawn a rune when you hear the rune's name being called out and see it highlighted in the top right hand corner of the screen. An easy way to "follow along" with a spell is to open your rune book, click on the appropriate page number tab on the left side of the book, and then click on the spell you wish to cast. The rune combination will appear in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Close your book and draw the runes in order, and each rune will highlight as you successfully draw it.
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:40 am
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by OctU
First, if you haven't already, make sure to download and apply the latest Arx patch, ver 1.17. The patch will greatly reduce the frequency with which your character needs to eat, and fix many other things in the game as well.

You don't need to click on the wall torches at any time -- just cast ignite while you are near them and they will light. As Morahn pointed out, you can also use this technique to re-ignite smoldered camp fires to cook your food.

One of the great frustrations many people had with Arx (including myself) was how poorly the game interpreted or recognized rune symbols as you tried to draw them. It can take some practice in drawing a rune before you can get the game to recognize it with some consistency. You will know you have drawn a rune when you hear the rune's name being called out and see it highlighted in the top right hand corner of the screen. An easy way to "follow along" with a spell is to open your rune book, click on the appropriate page number tab on the left side of the book, and then click on the spell you wish to cast. The rune combination will appear in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Close your book and draw the runes in order, and each rune will highlight as you successfully draw it.

Arx patch, ver 1.17. Aha. I was looking for mention of a patch. I'll go get it now. Thank you so much. I'll be so happy not to be feeding this guy so often.

I finally managed to cast a spell or two. I have a problem with letting up on the CTRL key in between doing each rune. I have to remember now to keep CTRL pressed but let up on the left mouse button. (Rubbing my head and patting my belly:).

I've also had a problem with the mouse buttons in combat. I find myself right clicking to attack and, of course, that brings me completely out of combat mode and I'm clicking at nothing while getting killed:) I know I can switch the buttons, but I don't know that I'd do any better with that.

But the game looks to good to let these things bother me for long. I'll learn.

Thanks for your help.
Post Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:22 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

One other piece of advice; Store 3 spells in the pre-cast mode so you don't have to waste time trying to cast them in battle.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:02 am