Usergroups
PC Gamer Gothic 2 review
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

PC Gamer Gothic 2 review

I just got my February issue of PC Gamer today, and I must say Desslock did a fine job of reviewing Gothic 2. Gothic 2 recieved a score of 89%. He noted how the world seems so alive in the game, and how it's so open-ended. He said that the Gothic series has become the true successors to the Ultima games.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:36 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Great!

Do you have a scanner? I would really like to read this review.
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:22 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

I'm afraid I don't have a scanner. But I think PC Gamer will update the reviews section of their website soon (they do this once a year I think). Just check www.pcgamer.com every so often for updates. If I find the time I will type up the review.

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:20 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Thanks for the offer.
We should wait a few days. Maybe somebody come up with a scan.
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:03 am
alexpetersmith
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

lol cool but the english pc gamer reviewers are pricks they gave it 63 % i think and moaned for about 3 pages about the voices
Post Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:20 pm
Spunior
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

The review boils down to this:

Positive: great game, very immersive atmosphere, credible and well implemented NPCs, amazing and dynamic environment,

Negative: interface takes a bit to get used to it (but works fine after the initial time), time between UK and US release should have been used to tweak the interface and maybe get some additional voice actors on board
Post Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:27 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Here it is. I took the time to type it up, so you guys had better appreciate it! Sorry for any spelling or gramatical errors.

And quote: "Once upon a time, RPGs were about more than scooping up cool loot and grinding away to reach level 42 so you could use that spiffy spiked helmet. They were about personalized characters in a setting that realistically reacted to their actions and achievements. No game in recent memory provides a richer roleplaying environment than Gothic 2.

The plot is generic fantasy fodder-orccs are warring with your kingdom, and now dragons have joined the fray-but it never feels trite, because Gothic 2's world is so consistently interesting. While typical RPG fare consists of NPCs glued to their locations until you deign to parlay with them, Gothic 2's environments are dynamic and living.

As in the classic Ultima games, NPCs have their own independent daily schedules. A character might saunter to work, take a smoke break, and then grab a pint at the pub before heading home to slumber. Characters also respond to your actions, so your alter-ego will be knocked on his duff if he's seen looting possessions or wandering into locations uninvited. Aside from just making the world more immersive, the dynamic AI directly enhances gameplay. For instance, you can circumvent dangerous creatures by luring them to some beefy guards, or distract scavengers by creating more tempting carnage.

The detailed 3D world also looks amazing. It's replete with interactive objects such as anvils (with which to hammer freshly forged weapons) and tobacco bongs that let your character, well, get real mellow. Plot developments dynamically affect environments, and NPCs actively participate in events rather than remaining stationary landmarks.

In many ways, the Gothic series seems to have picked up the baton fumbled by Origin and become the spiritual successor to the Ultima games.

Combat is real-time and action-oriented. Your character is initially very vulnerable, so you have to rein in your wanderlust to avoid being stomped every few minutes. You're largely free to explore the world in non-linear fashion: you can prematurely dispatch foes intended for more experienced characters if you're adept at parrying and dodging blows.

The enemy AI is generally excellent-different creatures types maneuver distinctly and humanoid groups will try to confront you from multiple angles. Battles are more tactical than arcad-ish, so you don't need to rely on twitch-based skills. Success in combat also depends on your character's abilities and equipment, making investment in character-building all the more worthwhile.

Gothic 2 uses a more polished version of its predececessor's engine, and plenty of familiar characters and locations reappear. Once again, there are three NPC factions, each emphasizing different skills and with distinct quests. Gothic 2 definitely embraces its Mature ESRB rating, as NPCs frequently swear, smoke, and visit bordellos. It also has the best rendition of urination in gaming history!

You may need some time to adapt to the keyboard commands for menu navigation and inventory management. Thanksfully, the interface works well once you're accustomed to it. A more persistent issure is the voice acting: it isn't agonizingly bad, but clearly only a handful of actors provided the translated voiceovers for dozens of characters.

These minor flaws do little to diminish Gothic 2's undeniable stature as a landmark RPG. It doesn't quite reach the genre-transcending level of, say, Knights of the Old Republic, but fans of classic roleplaying games will revel in its niche-y goodness. -Desslock"

As you can see, Gothic 2 clearly earned its 89% percent PC Gamer score.

Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:33 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

thanks for the review it took probably long time to type it here
Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:06 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Thanks.
Post Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:28 pm