Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Where Can I Find Soul Gems With Value >400?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread

Where Can I Find Soul Gems With Value >400?

Ok, I've explored 30% of the map and I still can't find a soul gem that has a value of >400 to enchant constant effect items. The best ones I've found so far are the Grand Soul gems worth 200.

Can someone tell me in which town I can find them please?
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:13 am

Prgrmr@wrk
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

It's not the value of the gem that matters, it's the potential of the soul. But grand soul gems are the only ones that can hold souls that big. What you need to trap is a Golden Saint, or Ascended Sleeper. Nothing else will work, except for vivec himself, but you'd be wasting his soul if you used it on a constant effect.

BTW, A soul gem with a charge of 400 (which is what you need) is worth 80000gp
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 5:27 am
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

I actually think I found a soulgem that contained 500 in a tomb somewhere. This was long ago though, so I could be wrong... And no, I don´t remember the location of the tomb...

CrossTopicBaner
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:49 am
Drakton
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

To Guest:
In other words: If you have a Grand Soul gem and trap a rat's soul in it, is a biiiiig waste. Only Grand Soul Gems can contain Ascended sleepers or Golden Saint's souls, which is what gives the gem the 400 value.
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:48 pm
Prgrmr@wrk
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Uh, pinnen, the only soulgem that can hold >400 is Azura's Star (Unique Artifact for those who don't know). And the only soul > 400 is vivec. Makes you wonder how those npc's have made items with charges of 1300 and up. Musta been dragons in the good ol' days
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:25 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

quote:
Originally posted by Prgrmr@wrk
Uh, pinnen, the only soulgem that can hold >400 is Azura's Star (Unique Artifact for those who don't know). And the only soul > 400 is vivec. Makes you wonder how those npc's have made items with charges of 1300 and up. Musta been dragons in the good ol' days

Well, that´s not entirely true. You can in-game only trap souls of 400, but try this; Trap a golden saint. You now have a grand soulgem with a soul of 400 and a value of 80k. Save your game. Enter the editor/creatures and edit golden saints. Change it´s soul to say 5000, save as a plugin and load your game. Take a look at the grand soulgem. It now has a soulvalue of 5000 and a money value of LOTS, couple of millions or so. You will not be able to trap anymore golden saint souls, but if you use that soul to enchant something, you can save your game again, uncheck the plugin, and your enchanted item will have a charge of 5000. I´ve played around with this, and have been able to trap souls of 600 or 800, I think. However, it seems as though you have to change the level of the creature as well...

CrossTopicBaner
Post Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:56 pm
Prgrmr@wrk
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

That doesn't count. You can also fill up a chest in the editor with thousands of pounds of stuff, even if the chest is only rated for 2pounds. But once you take the stuff out, you can't get it back in. By the same logic, I can raise my strength to umpteen thousand by level 3, just because the editor can let me do that.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 12:24 am
Fritobandito
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

at the top of the mages guild in balmora theres a whole bunch of soul gems laying out on someones desk. if you stand on the desk, you can steal all of them without anyone noticing. theres a grand soul gem among the others, but im not sure whats trapped in it.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 1:25 am
Drakton
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

When I did the miniquest in which Galbedir goes downstairs so you can place the fake soulgem in her desk, I took all the soulgems and she didn't noticed. Apparently, the Grand Soul Gem in her desk has a random soul trapped, as I've seen two different souls in two different games.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:20 am
Prgrmr@wrk
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

If you want 2 empty grand soul gems (and aren't in the telvanni <sp>), go down to the dungeon/cavern below the big tower in Sadrith Mora. There's a lady down there who has 2 grand's in her inventory. They're for later on, when you build your tower, but if you're not telvanni, it doesn't matter to you. If you are telvanni, just wait till you have that quest, and use common? soul gems to trap the storm atronarchs she wants. Don't waste the grands.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 9:50 am
Guest Dare

I'm about 80% sure that she won't accept the souls in a gem other than grand....
But your right, if your not Telvanni it won't matter .

Personally, I'd just recommend doing Azura's Quest. It's quick, it's fun, it's fairly challenging depending on when you do it, and the Azura's Star eliminates the need for gems all together.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 10:32 am

sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

I'm afraid that you are incorrect... I gave her a Storm Atronoch is a Greater Soul Gem and a Golden Saint in a Grand, and she accepted them.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:20 pm
Prgrmr@wrk
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

yeah, sorry, it's greater soul gems that work. I knew it was the level below grand, but wasn't sure what that was, lol. I remember this because I specifically went out hunting atronarchs, just to get the two free grands, and to save all my collected golden saints.

Once a soul is in a gem, I'm pretty sure the game just sees it as that type of soul (eg soul_gem_golden_saint) instead of what type of gem it used to be (eg soul_gem_grand).

And yes, those names up there are wrong.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2002 5:31 pm
Guest Dare

Personally, I would consider that a bug. She gave you the 2 grands specifically for "powerful souls" to build your stronghold.

But anyways, good info for future games!

And I still stand by Azura's Star .
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:04 am