Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Difference between Gothic 2 JoWood and Atari versions?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

Difference between Gothic 2 JoWood and Atari versions?

Has any of you played through both the JoWood and Atari versions of Gothic 2? If so, what are the differences? I'm sure this question has already been asked, but a 45-minute search didn't help. If the differences are noticably good, then I'll buy the Atari version and play it. I've already played through the JoWood version several times.

If there's already a thorough response to this question, please give me the link. Thanks!
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Gothic's Loyal Hero, SirDeity
Post Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:22 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Just search 'differences' in Gothic2 general discussion.

http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39586&highlight=differences

1) The german text not translated into english was fixed in journal. ...G2text MODlet looks familiar.....

2) Equipe two ring buglet fixed. Had to remove armor first sometimes to remove or put on two rings at once.

3) NA 1.32. I AFAIK the voice acting is still the same. gamespot preview claimed that was going to be updated. People post here as if it is still the same as UK 1.31.

4) Maybe some small changes to NPC positions, and behaviour. Never really verified.

Be nice if someone could go through and see, if you got the money to buy another version. Did you check out JoWood website also?
Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:55 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

My American version lists Atari as the main publisher, but the opening credits also say JoWood. I like my version fine, and have found very few problems with it. I find the AI to be very good and responsive.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:17 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

When I get my new PC (hopefully next month), I'll buy the Atari version if it's still available. If I get it I'll play it through very carefully and take notes of all the differences so I can post them here.

BTW, has the sex scene been removed? That was one of the more common assumptions before the Atari version was released. Anyway, I'll go check out the link you gave me. I couldn't find any results because I was looking in the Gothic 2 spoilers forum... oops!
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Gothic's Loyal Hero, SirDeity
Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:17 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Nope, the sex scene is still there.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:19 am
bigboy_
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

When i start the game,only JoWood`s intro movie appears...I don`t see an Atari logo anywhere.If the addon will be realesed and i will get an Atari version,then will it work with my JoWood Gothic2 version?(i hope i made myself clear )?

Last edited by bigboy_ on Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:08 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

i dont see why it wouldnt, the publishers dont change any of the coding between countries
Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:25 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

the UK version publisher was Atari tho they didnt change anything all logos and all stayed like in german version only that the language and translation is english
Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:35 pm
bigboy_
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Ok thanks...then there won`t be any trouble.
One question though:why are there two publishers for Gothic2?
Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:47 pm
Spunior
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:

JoWooD is distributing the game (well, along with Koch Media actually) in Germany, Austria and Switzerland (no clue about Poland). Atari is handling the publishing everywhere else because JoWooD doesn't have the 'infrastructure' required for that. Same for other JW titles such as Silent Storm or Söldner. (Both of them not being published by Atari though.)
Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:17 pm
bigboy_
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Spunior
quote:

JoWooD is distributing the game (well, along with Koch Media actually) in Germany, Austria and Switzerland (no clue about Poland). Atari is handling the publishing everywhere else because JoWooD doesn't have the 'infrastructure' required for that. Same for other JW titles such as Silent Storm or Söldner. (Both of them not being published by Atari though.)

Oh,I get it now .
Thanks!
Post Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:47 pm