SWG: Massive Update Planned @ GameSpot
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

SWG: Massive Update Planned @ GameSpot

GameSpot has <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/news/6137135.html" target="_blank">news</a> that a massive update is planned for Star Wars Galaxies that will overhaul the interface, redefine the classes and add a form of realtime combat, among other things:<blockquote><em>The update will introduce sweeping changes to the online game, such as redefining all characters into nine professions: bounty hunters, smugglers, spies, traders, entertainers, commandos, medics, officers, and force-sensitives. So instead of keeping the lore of the Jedi a guarded secret, the updated game will let you jump on the fast track to becoming one of the universe's mystical knights, if you wish. However, LucasArts insists that even though the secrets of the Jedi have become less and less...secret, the majority of its players prefer other professions, and expects the same even after the update.</em></blockquote>
Post Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:58 am
methusala
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I love it when I hear that $ony wants to change,improve upon,nerf,challenge the player or whatever other lies they tell because I also know that it will eventually cost them their customers.I wish them nothing but bad luck.
Post Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:03 pm
J Kepler

Change

"I love it when I hear that scientists want to change, improve upon, nerf, challenge people or whatever other lies they tell because I also know that it will eventually cost them their supporters. I wish them nothing but bad luck."

Author Unknown, circa 1500 in reference to the idea that the world is round, not flat.

methusala. Resisting change and improvements is not fasionable. It has been around for eons.
Post Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:40 pm

Hedek
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you J Kepler, but when we're talking about anything related to SOE I have to go with methusala.

I really don't understand what's wrong with SOE. I have nothing personal against them (although I'm starting to wonder). But from my experience of playing and paying a close look tot he MMORPG industry over the past 7 years it looks to me as SOE are cursed : give them games with great potential and they turn them into mediocre games at best.

The story of SWG's development is that every new improvement seemed to have brought the game further down. This very new announced major update to SWG is actually an acknowledgment that their so-called "next best thing" the Combat Upgrade (that will make everything you dreamt about in SWG come true a few months ago) is being scrapped and they're replacing it already.

I feel sad because the Star Wars franchise is my favorite franchise of all, I was really hoping SWG would be a great MMORPG. I never really understood what was so wrong with the initial version of SWG (beyond the need to fix the bugs, expand it, balance it and continue improving it which is something all newly released MMORPG need), why the developers seemed to dislike it so much to always want to trash it and use the recipes of DAoC, WoW and EQ2 instead.

Anyways, I too have come to the point where everything new SOE announces, I'm skeptical about it. I think SWG has now really started its slow but inevitable slope down : when devs consider their game require that much changes that little time after a previous major change is never a good sign. I looked all over the net to find subscribers numbers for SWG (or rather the evolution of it since its release) because that looks annoucement looks to me like a desperate "we need to do something big to save the situation". At this point I feel SWG2, with fresh and logical game mechanisms, with a real "overall plan" and "idea of where we want to take the game and want we want to acheive with it" that doesn't change every 3 months is the only chance for us players to have a decent Star Wars based MMO.

Now if Lucas Arts could licence that "SWG2 project" to another developer, it would be even better.
Post Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:19 am
Jestor Rodo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I was on this days ago

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion.cfm/load/forums/loadforum/320/loadthread/55738/setstart/1/loadclass/103

The Bad News was denied by Tiggs and others at that time until now they admitted that yes , SOE once again is take SWG like a Snow globe turning it up side down and shake it .

This is not the SWG game I was banned from , nor is it the SWG game post CU, its EQII in Space /Salute.
Post Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:27 pm