Combat tips Please
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Combat tips Please

I have accepted that this game is going to run very sloooooowly, but have decided to keep going for a while to see if I can stand it.

However, I can't really do anything yet because every time I end up in combat with anything other than a single non-human opponent I end up dead. I just can't get the hang of anything, it seems. I am at level 39 in long sword, and have also increased my medium armour skill, and have tried using fireball spells, but I'm just not getting anywhere. Right now I am in the egg mine outside Balmora, fighting the "egg poachers" (will there be egg scramblers later in the game? Coddlers?) and because all I know how to do is flail away, there is no contest.

Is there a technique to fighting? A quick key for blocking? ANy pointers would be welcome. Like how to use a healing potion in battle?
Post Fri May 10, 2002 3:06 am
Wabbit

Combat can be difficult. Here's a few tips:

Make sure you are ready when you enter combat - a full fatigue bar makes a big difference in how often you hit (it effects every skills performance actually). If you are fighting any but the weakest creatures with an empty fatigue bar you will have trouble landing a blow to save your life. hence, you don't want to run too much in combat, or jump, only when it is worth it. You can buy (or make if you are an alchemist) potions of Fatigue restore, I carry these around and when I get caught with no fatigue I drink one. To drink a potion in combat - right click to go to your menu screen. Take the potion and drop it on your character model - ie equip it like a weapon. When you right-click back into the game, the potion will take effect. It's very easy and quick, definitely worth doing.

Make sure your weapons are well-repaired, the second they get worn down you will be hurting. If you are fighting through a lot of enemies like in the egg mine, you might want to either: repair your weapon midway through if you have armorer skill, or carry a spare of the same weapon to switch out for the last battle. It will make a big difference.

Fighting more than one enemy is hard. I don't want to spoil you too much, but in my experience if you check out the back way into an enemy's hideout, you might find you don't have to fight 2 people at once but just one, then the other. Who knows? This might even work in your situation - I'm pretty sure there are two entrances into the area the people you are after are in (wink wink).

If you absolutely have to fight more than 1 person, you should probably drink a potion of strength like that vintage brandy or whatever, and conjure up a bound weapon - they kick major ass, and combined with a big strength boost you will be unstoppable for a minute or so.

Hope that helps!
Post Fri May 10, 2002 1:13 pm

Zretch

Fighting

First off, a skill of 39 in your weapon seems a bit low. You may want to spend some cash training it up.

There's certain things you can do to make combat shorter or longer. Long combat is usually only done when you know the monster you're fighting doesn't pose much of a threat and you want to swing as often as possible to increase your skill in your weapon faster.

To make combat as short as possible (and thus increase your chances of surviving it...)

1.) Do not swing as fast as you can. When you hold down the mouse button to swing, you'll see your weapon draw back. Make sure it's drawn back as far as it can be before releasing the mouse button. If you have a sword that does 2-20 damage, if you click quickly you'll do 2 damage per swing. If you wait until you draw all the way back, you'll do up to 20. Typically drawing your weapon to full power makes you swing about 1/4 the speed, but doing 10 times more damage is worth it.

2.) Be sure you're using the proper swing type for your weapon. Some weapons do more damage thrusting, some slashing, some chopping. Read the manual to find out how to execute each type of swing. (You move your mouse a certain way while holding the button down, either back and forth to thrust, diagonally to chop, or side to side to slice.) If this requires too much manual dexterity for you, you can set your weapon to always use the best swing type automatically. Do this in the options section. With some weapons, this can double your damage or more.

3.) Be sure you have endurance for the fight. Low endurance makes you miss more.

4.) Be sure your weapon is in good repair. Damaged weapons do a fraction of their potential damage.

5.) Two handers typically do more damage than one handers and are worth giving up a shield for. You can see this easily against skeletons which sometimes have a one handed weapon plus shield and other times wield a two hander. Those two handers kick your butt. Finishing a fight twice as fast is better than taking 25% less damage due to using a shield.

From the sounds of it, you either took a race that doesn't get a bonus good bonus for weapons, or your weapon skill is a minor skill. That makes the game a bit more difficult to start out, but it's nothing that can't be corrected with some training and some practice. Go work out on the smaller creatures you can kill easily. Swing very fast at them to get the max number of swings for each kill and your weapon skills will increase pretty quickly. Remember, when you're fighting a challenging opponent, however, be sure you draw your weapon all the way back each time you swing.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 7:29 pm

/agree with everything Zretch said.

To drink a potion in combat, just right-click to pause the game. Ctrl-click on a potion to pick one up then drop it on your picture in the left side of the inventory. Right-click to unpause and the potion will take effect immediately while you're fighting.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 1:19 am

Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

No, I'm playing a Dark Elf Spellsword - Long Sword is a major. But even so, I'm not doing too well. For example - you mentioned having high endurance - is that an acquired skill? If so where acquired?
Post Sat May 11, 2002 3:40 am