View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Shadeling
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Gig
Shadeling--it's obvious that you still think I'm attacking Morrowind itself--I assure you that I'm not. I don't know how to put it any more clearly, I like Morrowind the way it is, I think it's a great game! I have issues with all the hype about MW's non-linearity!

In a way, I think I do look at this as not so much an attack but more of an attempt of validating your preferred style of gaming. I remember seeing a post of yours a while back that said, to you, Morrowind was basically Gothic but with a healthy dose of tedium. The two games simply cannot be compared. I've read reviews where many of the writers say that a player must have a healthy imagination to really get the most of out Morrowind and I think that's very much the case. I have a huge story going on in my head about what my assassin character has been doing outside of the main storyline. I don't need scripts to do it for me and I'm having a lot of fun. That's why I don't agree that Morrowind is linear. Sure, perhaps its size plays a part but I think if we were to say that the it was simply the size of the game that makes the difference, that would really devalue the effort the developers put into Morrowind.

I can respect your opinion that Morrowind isn't a groundbreaking game but I don't agree with it.

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allen Poe
Post Sun Jun 02, 2002 5:22 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

[quote="Shadeling"]
quote:
Originally posted by Gig
I remember seeing a post of yours a while back that said, to you, Morrowind was basically Gothic but with a healthy dose of tedium. The two games simply cannot be compared.

I was wondering why you brought up Gothic in that post! I had been very careful up until then not to say the 'G' word.

You are absolutely right, I did say something like that. I found the the original thread, it's called "Why Gothic is Better than Morrowind" and it appeared on Gothic General nearly a month ago. Here's the original quote.
quote:
Originally posted by Gig
To me, Morrowind is just Gothic with an enormous side order of tedium!

When I first started Morrowind I became extremely frustrated... mostly because I had a hard time learning the level system. I was using a pre-made character and only my miscellaneous skills were going up, I couldn't get level multipliers and I couldn't figure out why. Once I picked up the experience system I realized what was wrong and started over with a custom character. It worked much better once I had the right skills in the right place.

I think I made several comments similar to that around that same time period. I was busily hating my character and I was also having a hard time figuring out what the point of the game was! I was traveling back and forth between Seyda Neen and Pelagiad stealing, selling, killing rats and mud crabs! I knew I had to go to Balmora to start the main quest, but it just seemed so wrong to approach Morrowind that way!

Ironically--I thought that Morrowind was too non-linear at that point--it seemed open ended to the point of being unstructured! Morrowind is the first RPG I've played that is this detailed as far as decision making goes and it took a fair amount of getting used to.

Once I did learn how to play, however, I changed my mind and I've been a fan ever since. I have openly admitted that I was wrong about Morrowind in a couple of threads. I even refuted my own earlier post in one thread (I wish I could find it but I can't think of the right keywords to search for). When I said I hadn't bad-mouthed Morrowind, I meant that I hadn't in this discussion. A month ago I was ready to quit Morrowind altogether... I didn't though... that should say something. Also those comments were made in either Gothic General or General CRPG talk. I wouldn't post something like that in Morrowind General--it would be inappropriate. In those other forums it's just an opinion, here it would be a flame.

Suffice to say that my "prefered style of gaming" is significantly different now from what it was on May 10th when I made that comment. The discussion isn't really about whether or not I prefer one game over another anyway. I just made a comment that I thought would be useful to someone in particular. That comment prompted Ekim to ask me to explain what I meant by it and the explanation grew into this wonderfully mature (mostly) thread that is so much fun!

Anyway, please, please, please forgive me! I was wrong about Morrowind, I know it and I admit it freely! I made that comment a whole world ago in Morrowind terms.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 12:57 am
Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

My development was as similar as yours. I was once overwhelmed by the environment, now I long for the tasks, and the different ways I could approach them. This is an RPG!!

This Poll? Gig?

Its all good.
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:12 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

YES!!! That's it, you found it! Go Cipher! Go Cipher!

I felt really bad about that poll, I voted lower than I would have If I had gotten into the game earlier. I was stuck with the vote though since you can't change your vote once it's cast.

Actually--a lot has changed since even that post. I was still using my behated pre-made character. I remember that night really well though, it's what kept me from quiting Morrowind (I was really close).

I don't hate the combat system anymore, I was wrong about that. It didn't take me 54 game days to get to the fun stuff after I started over either. I still didn't understand the level system at that time, but I had gone to Balmora and discovered all the guilds!

I would refute that whole statement now, I really don't agree with it at all. Things really went 180 degrees when I started MW over with a custom character.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 12:09 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

I'm pretty sure most people had a similar development with the game at first. Even if I played Daggerfall before, I found out early enough that things were a bit different in Morrowind and had to start a few times before I found the combination of skills that matched my playing style perfectly. After that the game went by (and is still going by) smoothly

I think this game demands that you adapt to it as much as it will adapt to you as you go along. Which is something wonderful. And nothing is ever shut down for you. Even if you are not skilled in magic arts, you can always pick up some training and get a few skills better so you can still go up in house Telvani, for example, even if you are a thief cor a fighter class. To me, that is first-rate non-linearity
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 2:21 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
I think this game demands that you adapt to it as much as it will adapt to you as you go along. Which is something wonderful. And nothing is ever shut down for you. Even if you are not skilled in magic arts, you can always pick up some training and get a few skills better so you can still go up in house Telvani, for example, even if you are a thief cor a fighter class. To me, that is first-rate non-linearity

Amen. I agree completely.
Post Mon Jun 03, 2002 2:43 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4