Soul Stones and Soul: Not Created Equal
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
DarthBryy
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Soul Stones and Soul: Not Created Equal

Okay, so I'm confused as to the nature of what Soul Stones do what. I know that higher level creatures weild higher.... power, or something.

But right now, it seems as if Enchanting an item is the same as creating a spell. Granted, it is on an item.

Can someone explain the soulstone heiarchy to me?
Post Tue May 28, 2002 7:20 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Stones are containers. Souls are what gives magical power to enchantments. Each soul has a specific size. Therefore, you can store smaller souls into any kind of a soul stone, but you can store bigger souls into only bigger stones.

Some enchantments require minimum amount of magical power (e.g. constant effect requires souls that are worth 80.000 gold). Smaller souls inside bigger stones will sell for more, but will not give you more magical charge. Gem Feeder spell will try and fit the soul you are capturing into the smallest possible stone you have in your inventory that can accomodate the soul.

Most basic enchantments can be easily done with the smallest souls inside the smallest stones. Size of stone does not matter for echantments (well, it does indirectly, but not directly).
Post Tue May 28, 2002 9:17 pm
DarthBryy
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yeah, but do certain souls go better with certain powers? How do you know what one soul's difference from another is? All I'm seeing right now is a difference in cost for the spell.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 10:59 pm
Morandil
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Different soul stones with diifferent souls will be reflected in the amount of charges available for the newly created item to use. Of course, some enchantements may require more charge than the smaller soul stones can provide, but that's the only limitation I know of.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 11:07 pm
Tiercel

It's not so much that certain stones go with certain powers. It's more like the more powerful the enchantment you want to cast, the more powerful the soul you need to use. And, since powerful souls need to be stored in "larger" stones, you'll need bigger stones for the more powerful enchantments.

You'll also need finer quality items to receive the higher-level enchantments, because lesser items can't hold big enchantments.

I'm still looking for an item to hold the 150 charge I need to create my [item] of Blight Disease Curing. I have an Exquisite Amulet, but it can only hold a 120 charge. Any ideas out there?

Tiercel
Post Tue May 28, 2002 11:08 pm

DarthBryy
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Eh, well, they all cost over 1000, so until I get a bigger cashflow, I'm staying away from enchantment. Although, it would be nice to have a elemental damage main weapon.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 11:47 pm
The Trooper

Ohhh, the first sword I ever enchanted I called "Sword of the North" I still user her today. It's a Nordic Claymore (I'm a Nord) which dishes out 25-60pts of Frost damage, I can kill almost anything with it.
Post Wed May 29, 2002 3:07 am

MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

My custom made sword is a silver claymore with 10 point Absorb Strength and 11-12 point Absorb Health. Pretty nifty. I just smacked around couple of Daedra that jumped me while looting their shrine, at level 10.

But to correct someone above, same soul in a larger stone will only have greater coin value. NOT greater magic capacity. A Cliff Racer in a Petty stone will cost 200 gold and in Lesser stone will cost 400 gold. In either case, it will give you 20 charges on your enchanted item.
Post Wed May 29, 2002 4:27 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I just collect all the Soul gems I can, then I trap the souls and sell the populated gems. It's a great source of income and if you need a Soul gem you can always buy it back.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Wed May 29, 2002 5:08 pm