Blademaster of the Moo

MIGHT and MAGIC 7 was cool....

Don't you feel better now?
Post Fri May 17, 2002 9:43 pm
machaira
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yes 7 Was Cool.

Might and Magic VII had a lot of good points. For one you got to earn your own castle. Two there was so much help online for it that I got through it without a Strategy Guide. Three you got some very helpfull allies when you turn the Dwarves to your favor. M&M 6 was so tough that only one Character of mine was conscience when they returned from the final fight. M&M 8 was pretty easy to complete after you had Grandmastered Air and Water. I finished most of it with little fighting in the end because of invisibility. But M&M 7 was the one of the three that seemed really satisfying with what you ended up with. Your Own Castle! I think most players would agree to that. It gave you a lot of storage possibilites to. In this new one player's will eventually understand that you can't keep everything. If that one NPC (something...Carry a lot or Carry All) was a real one you could hire, he'd be a very valueble asset.

At least that's the way I see it.

machaira
Post Sat May 18, 2002 3:34 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

My favorite game of all time...... I thought it was well balanced. I liked the way that only certain classes could master or grandmaster in certain skills (which was missing in MM6). The good/evil branch in the story was pretty cool. Most of all, the game was just flat out fun to play.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat May 18, 2002 5:13 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

7 was, I think, a better game than 6, but I liked 6 more. 6 was *huge*, and some of the dungeons were sooooo large and tough that I really felt I'd accomplished something when I was done with one of them.

If I'd played 7 first I am sure it would've been my favorite. The choice of good/evil, the castle, the well developed world. 7 has races, and dteowner is right, limiting the Master/GM to certain classes adds a ton of flavor. But 6 came after a multiple year drought with nary a good game. Then, wham! It took me six weeks to finish the bloody game ... and that was when I was single, had no social life and didn't mind playing 40+ hrs a week.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 12:55 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

You know, thinking back, I've got to agree with you. In going from 6 to 7, you trade world (size and difficulty) for features. I think that I liked the features more, but the huge dungeons in 6 were awfully nice (remember those damn cuisinarts?). For a person that loves to spend days planning out the party for skills and balance, the extra complexity of 7 was a slice of heaven...
Post Tue May 21, 2002 3:22 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I still have nightmares based on my first encounter with the cuisinarts At first they only come one at a time, and by blowing off all my mana, and most of my scrolls I was able to take out the first couple of baby cuisinarts. I remember thinking "Whew, that was tough, now lets loot the rest of this place" .... Then there 4 or so of them appeared at once ...... "AHHHHH run AWAYYYYYYYYY".

I came back much later and cruised through them. But the first couple dropped *great* plate mail
Post Tue May 21, 2002 11:58 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

The other one I remember was going after the evil dwarves. At the end of the dungeon is a room with Snergle and about a thousand angry followers. I was a little overconfident at that point of the dungeon and marched right in. I was soundly thrashed for my stupidity. Little people everywhere!
Post Wed May 22, 2002 12:39 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Oh yeah. I remember Snergle and the boys! *That* was a slug fest. I forget what the spell name was, something that created a ring of fire that shot out from the party - I used that a *LOT*...I recall how satisfying it was when 4 or 5 dwarves would all drop at once (after the 6th cast or something).

How about the dungeon with the gazillion eyes? Not only was it hard to navigate, but it took forever to wade through those *&^#%%$ eyes. The mana draining attack was really bad news

But the best dungeon was the pyramid I remember being awed at how *large* it felt.

Dang, if I'm not careful, I'll phych myself into starting 6 again
Post Wed May 22, 2002 11:59 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

My favorite dungeon was the Supreme Temple of Baa. That was the one that had a large column in the center of a huge 2-level room. From that column, you could extend out bridges in each of the four directions to get to other areas. At the end of each bridge were 5-10 liches that spent a lot of time shooting you...

NWC never did create dungeons as good as the ones for MM6, did they? I still say MM7 was my favorite, though.
Post Wed May 22, 2002 6:20 pm
machaira
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

There was morality to M&M7 also.

I remember using my thief to steal things like better bows and lesser magic items and potions early in the game. And of course when you got expert air magic, all "valuable" stuff showed up as a blue dot when you used wizard eye spell. Well, before the game was over I had various piles of blue that I would rather not have to have seen. Another thing, I found it paculiar that every shop knew that those items were stolen and wouldn't buy them.
Post Sat May 25, 2002 8:57 am
L_U_D_W_I_G
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It was great towards the end of MM7 when all my characters were somewhere around level 70-80, and I could run into any cave full of dragons (without even having to cast any spells to beef me up,) and run right into the pile and start swinging... those Dragons didn't even have chance. (Especially when I was getting beat down by dragonflies at the beginning of the game.) I think my Knight ended up with over 1600 hit points and was well into the 100-150 point range with each swing (without aid spells...)

But there was just something gratifying about running into a cave of monsters and throwing down enslave on them and watching the ensuing brawl... It was also interesting to go into the arena and "stage fights" between monsters with the enslave spell to see which ones could whoop up on what!
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:25 pm