Uninstall problems
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
madnick
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Uninstall problems

I recently decided I needed to free up some space, and figured gothic a good candidate for the great uninstall crusade I was performing, but lo and behold, gothic refuses to uninstall. I run the "gothic deinstallieren" from the start menu, it fills up the bar that says its preparing the uninstall wizard, a message pops up that prompts me to make sure I want to unintall, then instantaneously it says the uninstall is complete. It doesn't show any of the progress while it uninstalls certain files. Its almost as if the uninstall did nothing. Amazingly enough, the uninstall does nothing. The start menu shortcuts are still there, all the other shortcuts are too, and most of all, every single file I have is still there. A nice 1.2 gigs of space still in use.

I am running windows 2k with all the recent updates/service packages. Although I'm not sure how my graphics card would relate, I use a leadtek gerforce 2 mx.
1700+ Amd Athlon

Can anyone offer some advice? (other than to a: leave gothic, b: format, or c: pull the "if the gothic directory is gone then the program is uninstalled" deletion)

Thanks
Post Fri Jul 26, 2002 8:22 pm
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

How to manually uninstall Gothic...

stop here if you are not familar with Windows and regedit

- Run RegEdit.exe and goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
- search for 'gothic' - you should find an subkey where 'DisplayName' = 'Gothic'
- remember the GUID (the name of the subkey you found - {BBF10B37-4ED3-11D5-A818-00500435FC18} )
- delete the subkey you found
- delete the folder [programs]\InstallShield Installation Information\[GUID]

If you installed the patch - do the same for 'DisplayName' = 'Gothic_Patch'

Finally delete the gothic folder and the entries in the startmenu.

- nico
Post Sun Jul 28, 2002 1:11 am
madnick
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Exactly what I needed. Thank you very much nico
Post Sun Jul 28, 2002 10:56 am