A little RPG trick I use…
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Hawthorne
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

A little RPG trick I use…

This is a technique that I have used in a number of RPGs.

If you have a location that you know you will want to return to later in the game and you want to remember where it is, this is what I do.

Suppose you are given a quest by some NPC in a remote location, or find a treasure that you can’t carry away because you are already loaded to the max, you run into a bad guy who you can’t beat and want to come back and finish him off in a few days Or as in my case want to go back and look for something you couldn’t find on your first try.

I don’t know about you but I can have a hard time finding the same location several days later.

So when I am ready to leave the place I make a regular save there.
I carefully name it something that I can clearly recognize later. I.E. “LC Girl no ring”, the LC stands for location.

Ok now it is four days later and I want to go back there and I don’t have a clue where I was at the time.

I scroll down and find the save “LC Girl no ring” I load it up and I look on the map, if I have to I walk around and identify landmarks. Once I have clearly established where I am I return to my current save and head for the location.

I find this much easier then trying to make notes to identify the location at a later date.

Well that’s it.

Mike
Post Sat Jun 08, 2002 11:16 am
Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Good tip.
Post Sat Jun 08, 2002 12:42 pm
Hawthorne
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I'll bump this up one time so everyone gets a chance to read it because I really find this technique to be very helpful.

Mike
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 4:53 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

How is this a Role Playing technique?
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 2:14 pm
Hawthorne
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Well I said it's a trick.

I have a lot of trouble finding someplace that I have to return to in a game Like Morrowind, Baldure's Gate or Summoner.

Three days later the Journal only says returne the blue widdget that you got from the Green Meenie to Porkrind Bob.

This is how I remember where Porkrind Bob is at.

Mike
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 5:11 pm
dlbaxter
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

and...

Especially with the unmanageable journal, I find this useful. Make your own journal. I stapled four sheets of paper together, labeled each sheet (front and back) with the name of the Guild I was working for and then wrote the keywords to each quest I had already. Then I could look up the keyword real quick instead of searching back 10's of pages. You can also do a miscellaneous page to write down areas you want to return to like 'daedric ruins east of vivec, monsters too strong.' Not just a good idea because the ingame journal stinks, but a good habit for all role-playing games.

An old text-based MMORPG I used to play called Eternal City had so many other PC's (all chronic liars) that I learned to keep a journal of what everyone said so I could quote them with their deceit. No wonder they hated me!

Dan
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 11:37 pm
His Master's Voice
Village Leader
Village Leader

i simply write the title of quests and other stuff on a piece of paper and also mark the journal page number so i can review the quest in more detail when i need to.

i think there's also a program you can download that sorts your journal into finished,unsinished and unknown (for created quests)
Post Tue Jun 11, 2002 11:53 pm
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Uhm.. Someone find out if that mod/program exist because I need it bad!
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 2:34 am