Usergroups
Can't find this bloody game in any shop
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Chimera
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I went into ALL the big computer game shops in my city today, searched for ages, asked the staff who seemed like they hadn't even heard of Gothic, its like it is not out in the UK at all, yet it is available to buy in electronics boutique's website.... although the staff at the EB shop were useless, and it wasn't on the shelves... so is this damned game out in the UK and is the EB site lying? Or is it only available from mail order or something (which I hate, but seems like the only option) OR, maybe this game has a different name, or was banned, in the UK? Well hopefully someone here knows, cause the "experts" in the stores didn't have a clue.
Post Sat Jan 19, 2002 9:35 pm
Chimera
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

In fact, can anyone confirm, for sure, that this game is out in the UK?
Post Sat Jan 19, 2002 10:48 pm
Baalcipher
Humanoid Typhoon
Humanoid Typhoon

THis came up before. Someone said there is, but I cant confirm that because I'm not in the kingdom.

Sometimes (from experience) they lie about their stock in order to keep a copy for themselves.
Post Sun Jan 20, 2002 1:00 am
Rainstorm
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Considering I got mine faster than I ever thought from softwarefirst I'm pretty sure that those who advertise it in the UK has copies.
You have to remember that Xicat isn't directly EA or a big distributor and hence it will not be seen a lot...(unfortunately)
I'm pretty sure the game's out in Sweden too if you wanna draw a line,thing is,it can't be found in a game store here...(they of course order what they know will sell,just like a tobacconist would remove a brand of ciggies that doesn't sell)
Order it online mate,unless you manage to find a small specialized gaming store that dares to take a chance I'm quite sure you won't find it...(first game,hence unknown dev and small distributor equale a game not very commonly seen...)
Post Sun Jan 20, 2002 1:42 am
Chimera
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Its depressing how good games can still sell like shyt and the company go out of buisness.... still, hopefully it will sell well in america or something. I'll try ordering online anyway
Post Sun Jan 20, 2002 2:23 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

There was a thread on the same topic a few days ago.
Post Sun Jan 20, 2002 11:44 am
Rainstorm
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Yep,think it was posted by Chimera then too.

I suspect that it might've sold pretty well in Germany since they got the get go with Gothic 2.
The game has been out there since March I think it was,so they'd have to base the decision on Gothic 2 on the German version sales only...
I don't think that PB will go out of business due to this...
Had Gothic been a failure they'd never have recieved the cash to develop Gothic 2.
Post Sun Jan 20, 2002 4:50 pm
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I went to EB in Bristol (England) to spend some left over vouchers from Xmas.
What to buy ?
Just have a look around. I ring EB every week to get an update on releases for the Friday. No mention of Gothic.
So, back in EB yesterday, browsing shelves,
!!!???****....top shelf, GOTHIC !!

So, I grabbed this with both gauntlets and ran to the till and swpped some gold for said game.

I haven't played it yet as when I got home, the wife had "more important things for me to do"..you know if your married.

Anyway. It is out in UK at EB although it seems to be a bit of a secret.
Go to your local EB with a scroll of finding......
Post Mon Jan 21, 2002 8:13 am
Chimera
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok, well thanks for that... I will try the place again, maybe now if I can be bothered to go out
Post Mon Jan 21, 2002 12:20 pm

You know what is really stupid, I went to http://www.ebgames.com (the electronics boutique website)and they carry Gothic, but it is hidden away under the strategy section(at least it was a few days ago) and is NOT listed under the rpg section. What dumbasses. Who knows how many sales they lost(and Piranha Bytes) because people could not find the game on their website.
Post Mon Jan 21, 2002 8:23 pm

Torracat
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

hexmaster, your'e funny...
Post Mon Jan 21, 2002 8:33 pm
Mr Wonderstuff
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Just keep looking Chimera and look at all the pc shelves at EB. Xicat probably dont have any deal with EB hence it being relegated to abscurity within the morass of older pc games. I got my from Camden (London) after looking very very closely. Dont trust what those people say who work at EB as they only know one word. Console.
Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 12:52 am