Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Some interesting looking rpgs. Non-typical settings.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Althalus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Some interesting looking rpgs. Non-typical settings.

Anybody else read up on Xenus and Oblivion? What do you think? Sounds interesting IMO, I'm really looking forward to seeing how they turn out. "Real rpgs" (it seems) based around shooters/modern day instead of hack'n'slash.

Some info if you havn't read up on them yet.

Heres a Q&A for Xenus here. There are link to the companies website at the bottom of the page. It sounds like a full blown rpg, but with guns, guerilla soldiers, CIA etc insteed of swords, mage guild, theives guild, orcs etc.

Also the other is S.T.A.L.K.E.R oblivion lost with a Q&A here. Both games have non-linear gameplay and large outdoor areas making up the game world. This ones a bit more fantasy based though with weird beasties and such.

some more screens.
Post Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:46 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

The 2 game links is not working, I get the famous Border-manager error.
Though I found some fetures on Oblivion, and 99 % of the features was bragging about how nice the graphics would be, this normally indicates caution for me. If this games strongests side is the graphic engine, then I will probably pass.
Post Wed Sep 11, 2002 4:04 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

I've read about the RPG elements in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but there aren't many. It's being published by Russobit-M (http://www.russobit-m.ru).
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Wed Sep 11, 2002 4:23 pm
mtkafka
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

STALKER sounds very intriguing. Notably the idea of a 4x4 km area thats not restricted. Sounds alot more like a sci fi action fps simulation, more a nod towards OFP/Ghost Recon in sci fi clothing... didnt see much about rpg stuff, but still looks VERY cool. I like the idea of a freeform open environment for a shooter. Something like MW but for an fps without stats?

And then with Xenus with 650 sq km area!!!!! thats like 20+ km from one end to the other!!! friggin huge ass land! skill based rpg charecteristics ala Morrowind. Mission based 'random' ala Jagged Alliance DG, multiplayer... Looks and sounds cool. Sounds like Jagged Alliance 3d! BTW, Codename Outbreak is an overlooked game... its a budget game here in America, and the engine and the gameplay show alot of promise (especially how they were able to combine large outdoor landscapes with solid indoor areas... a souped up version of Delta Force LW engine). To me this means they are up to the task with the game.

I swear its the eastern europeans that are taking the risks with pc games. I also notice that alot of the ambition has a faint resemblance to another east euro game ... OFP (my favorite game EVER!).

etc
Post Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:12 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by mtkafka
.....BTW, Codename Outbreak is an overlooked game... its a budget game here in America, and the engine and the gameplay show alot of promise (especially how they were able to combine large outdoor landscapes with solid indoor areas... a souped up version of Delta Force LW engine)

I have seen & tried out OutbreaK and it is NOT a good game, at least in my personal opinion.

Every game developers will tries to show/say their games is very good; but i will rather hear what other gamer & reviewer says after the games is released.
Post Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:47 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by goofy goldfish
I have seen & tried out OutbreaK and it is NOT a good game, at least in my personal opinion.

I agree, I gave two hours into this game and I think two hours of walking would be much better :]
Post Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:10 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
quote:
Originally posted by goofy goldfish

I agree, I gave two hours into this game and I think two hours of walking would be much better :]

Is that two hours of walking dressed like your avatar's outline ... fully loaded? Or just a two hour long evening stroll?
Post Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:01 am