Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Grr, ok somebody please hold my hand through this...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Grr, ok somebody please hold my hand through this...

I know this is not a big deal, but it has now become a vandetta for me.

I'm having trouble with torches.

These things I can do:

1) Pick up an unlit torch. No problem here. I stand in front ot the torch until I see the text, 'Torch' appear, then press Ctrl+Forward to pick it up and put it in my inventory. Got that.

2) Use a torch. No problem here either. I activate my inventory, tab until i highlight my unlit torch, then press Ctrol+forward to 'use' it. At this point, the torch appears in my hand and it is lit. Perfect. No problems here.

These things I CANNOT do:

1) I want to extinguish my torch and put it back in my inventory. I've tried everything. I cannot figure out what key (or key combination) to use to get the torch out of my hand and back in my inventory, preferrably extinqished. If you can help with this, please be specific about actual keys or key combinations to press. I'm using the alternate game controls.

2) When holding a lit torch in my hand, I did figure out that by going into 'attack' mode, my character would drop his torch to the ground (still lit). That gets the torch out of my hand, but not back in my inventory. At this point, I can pick up the torch using Ctrl+Forward, but the torch does NOT go into my inventory, rather, it goes back into my hand (still flaming). Now I'm back to problem 1.
Post Wed Jul 31, 2002 8:50 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Try to swim with a lit torch in your hand. It will go back into your pack... unused.
Post Wed Jul 31, 2002 9:04 pm
Kirk
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Highlight the lit torch in your inventory and press left mouse button + up key. I think that extinguishes it.

Instead of using the `control` key for actions, I find it much easier to use the left mouse button instead.
Post Wed Jul 31, 2002 10:50 pm
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Well, try going to your inventory while holding a lit torch, then highlight your torches and press Ctrl + Up. This works for me.

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:45 am
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hmmm

Ok, with a lit torch burning in my hand, I open up my inventory, and look everywhere for a lit torch so that I can try your suggestions. But I don't see a lit torch in my inventory. I even went through each category of items (weapons, armor, food... all of them) looking for a lit torch. I don't see it. I see my unlit torches, but no lit torch. grrr what am i doing wrong?
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 5:58 pm
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

Try it again. Do you have a lot of stuff on you? You might want to drop most of them so its easier to spot things in the inventory.

The burning torch might just look like a regular torch. There's no glowing or burning fire... just an old torch with a bit of amber/ash on its tip.

It should be under 'regular items', not weapons, spells etc.
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 6:31 pm
ffbj
High Emperor
High Emperor

Thats true the inverntory does differentiate between used torches and regular.
But to unequip a burning torch just left mouse click on any torch in your inventory and that will unequip your burning torch.
Post Thu Aug 01, 2002 8:51 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

silly!

To put the torch back in your inventory, simply do the exact same thing you did when you took it out of your inventory. Find the torches in your inventory (they appear unlit, and unhighlighted, as always), and simply push Ctrl +UP. Thats it. You did the same thing when you lit it. Do it again and instead of taking out it puts it away. You can only have one in your hand at once, therefor it makes sense that by doing the same thing over again instead of taking out another torch your just putting away the one you already have out. The only way I can see this as being a problem, is if your using the "one-shot torches". There are two types of torches, I don't know why, so don't ask. The most common torches you can use and safely put back in your inventory. However, the torch which appears to have a dark red coal at the top of it, IS EXPENDABLE. Those torches you can only have one. My character has about 6 of those ones, and about 98 of the non-expendable ones. So, another way of saying this is: you can have only 1 non-expendable torch and use it 1,000 times over again and it will never run out. They can be bought on venders or found. As I said, they are the most COMMON torches. I prefer to keep at least 20 non-expendable torches on my character at all times. I do this because I use them strategicly. For example, when I enter a cave area, such as a mine, which I've never been in before, I might drop torches in certain locations to leave them as landmarks so I know where I have and have not been. Because the torches stay lit after droping them, it makes it easy to spot after droping. If theres a certain location I want to return to, such as a hidden one which is harder to see, then I just drop a torch near it so I know exactly where to go when I return. Then when I leave I just pick the torch back up and place it back in my inventory.

PS - sorry for all the typos!
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 3:30 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

check that last paragraph

Wait a second. Now that I think of it, I think you can only use a torch twice. Once you use an unlit torch, and put in back in your inventory by following the same exact steps you took to take it out and lite it, it will appear as a torch with a red coal on the tip of it. Therefor, there are NOT two types. There are just the used torches, which can only be used one last time. And there are the completely unused torches, which once used will be placed in a seperate pile in your inventory once you put it away. The two piles are the torches that appear unlit, with NO red color at the tip, and the pile with the red color at the tip. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, I answered the topic question of how to put it back in the last paragraph I typed.
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 3:38 am
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: silly!

quote:
Originally posted by SirDiety
To put the torch back in your inventory, simply do the exact same thing you did when you took it out of your inventory. Find the torches in your inventory (they appear unlit, and unhighlighted, as always), and simply push Ctrl +UP. Thats it.

Ok that finally worked thank you!
Post Fri Aug 02, 2002 5:26 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

Okay! I thought about it some more and have a new theory. I think the reason there are two types of torches is because the designers of Gothic intended for a torch to only be used twice. My guess is they were planning to have things work out as I explained in my last entry here, but didn't end up finnishing it due to time issues. The first entry I placed on this thread is the correct one. Unfortunately, it doesn't make much sense. There are two types, expendable and non-expendable torches. Expendable torches appear to have the redish coal at the top. The non-expendables do not.
Post Sun Aug 04, 2002 2:46 am