TES: Body and Face for New Race
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Andre
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

TES: Body and Face for New Race

Does anybody know how to associate the body parts for a new race ? I have created a new race- human- in the editor but the body is missing arms and generally speaking looks awful. I would like to model the Humans appearance on the Imperials but I am unable to find how to do it. In addition the new race is always female ! Please somebody help !
In every other respect it works perfectly. even a new class I created the Paladin, but horrible body.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 12:42 am
FormerDiabloPlayer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Me too?....

I am Having the same problem...I created a Half-Giant Race....but the animation was that of an Elf...with no arms...and the height was not right....
ANY info would be great...thanks in advance.....
Post Fri May 10, 2002 2:18 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I created Dwarves and Ogres and they look great.

Ok... here's how you do the mapping. You have to go into Body Parts (I believe that's what it's called). There you'll see the parts for all the races currently in play. Right click. Select New. Create a name for the body part (you don't have to follow the Bethesda horrible naming scheme for body parts. For my Dwarves, for example, I used the naming scheme Dwarfhead1m, dwarfhandm, dwarfhair1f... m for male, f for female... etc) Select skin. Select race. Select your custom. Now hit browse and make sure you have the Elder Scrolls editor CD in the drive. All the body parts for all the races are in the folder called 'B' under textures.

Now you map the part. The preview window is a must for this, so make sure you turn it on first.

Changing the height is done where you first create the race. You can't make a race taller than 1.5 (which is the height of an indoor area). Well... you can... but when you select it at character generation it won't be able to move. Whether this is because the game can't handle a character that big or because you're too big for the dock/gangplank graphic boundries, I don't know. But at 1.5 your head literally is bumping the ceiling and you can actually have problems fitting through doors in indoor areas anyways. I haven't found a maximum width yet.... but after 1.5 things really start to get skewed graphically.

My Ogre is 1.5 tall and 1.5 wide... and they're frigging MASSIVE in 3rd person. My Dwarf is 0.75 tall and 1.5 wide and looks very dwarflike in 3rd person. Height also affects width. The Ogre with a 1.5 width is much wider than the dwarf with 1.5... who is about as broad shouldered as a human type character (but his arms and legs and chest LOOK thicker).

edit: Oh yeah... it wasn't clear, but you have to map each and every single part. ankle, chest (which use the X_X_skins files in the parts directory, not chest), wrist, upper arm, lower arm, upper leg, groin, neck, etc.

It takes a while. I think for my Ogre I had to create about 40 parts combined for both genders.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri May 10, 2002 2:19 pm
Andre
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks

Thank you Xen for your post, I will try to follow your advise. It sounds logical in retrospect but I was discouraged by the naming of the parts. Perhaps I will just try to copy say the Imperial elements and give them new names.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 4:10 pm
hoverboy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Where?

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
I created Dwarves and Ogres and they look great.

Do you have these posted anywhere? I'd like to check 'em out =)

Thanks
Post Fri May 10, 2002 8:07 pm
FormerDiabloPlayer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thank You, Zen....that makes sense....I had originally just re-named an exsisting race, and changed a few things...then I realized that everyone from the race I had modified had changed also...that made for a lot of tall people running around!...

Post Fri May 10, 2002 11:14 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I'm ironing out some bugs before even thinking of getting heckled by the community. Dwarves are working nearly flawlessly... they have high reistances to all types of disease and poison, and recover stamina much faster than other races. They get +10 to axe, block, heavy armor, and +15 to repair.

Ogres are another matter. Fiddling around trying to find a balance where they look 'big' but still can fit into some tight dungeons... especially underwater zones where they get stuck quite often. They get +15 to blunt, unarmored, and athletics. As for any racial abilities... well... they're built on the same 310 matrix as all the other races for balance purposes... toying around with a natural persistant armor spell to reflect a thick hide. And making them resistant to poison and immune to corpus disease. No Ogre vampires allowed.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Sat May 11, 2002 3:10 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Xen, can you make a troll?

*get down on his legs and begging*

"Can you make a troll for Danicek? "

"Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase?????"
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Sat May 11, 2002 3:56 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

There's no way at the moment for me to do any models. It would just be a big guy with an ugly face... like my ogres. I don't have StudioMax and I likely won't ever.

Too expensive.

I can make a big ugly horned guy who regenerates and is vulnerable to fire. That's easy enough to do.

Post Sat May 11, 2002 4:02 pm
Harkon

Problem

I map all bodyparts, but I have a problem with hands in 1st person view. All other parts and animations work fine, but every time I fight or ready a spell the hands of my custom race are invisible (except if I wear gloves). Any idea?
Post Sat May 11, 2002 7:28 pm

EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

hands have a second file. It has the extention .1st (for first person... logical, yes? Took a while for it to click for me too. But when it did... *SNAP* Duhhhh.... )

swipe the .1st files from another race and voila...

Post Mon May 13, 2002 5:15 am