Usergroups
Gothic 3?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Don't worry about G3; it will be great. You start to worry when the number reaches 8 or 9. Think M&M or Ultima. Up to 7 they were fantastic, then we don't discuss them anymore. I love long series, I love the familiarity, and let us not forget the bottom line, you have an already established market and fan base. I know I'll be buying Fallout3, System Shock3, etc. if they're ever made and Gothic3 will join that list.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:27 am
MadMullahey
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Eeeexactly ! You don't have to worry ! Be happy !
I first thought, PB will never reach the same deep level of atmosphere in Gothic 2, but to my amazement when I played G2 I realized from the beginning up to the end that they have managed it. So my expactations weren't set too high and I havet no doubts now that they won't fail in their task to make a worthy third part of the SAGA !

For my part, I'll be in the first place when the war against the orks continues. Away with Gimly and Aragorn ! Axemaster Gorn and The nameless hero rule supreme !!
Post Tue Dec 24, 2002 4:25 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

well i would like to see in G3 again the oldworld(i mean what was in G1) and also the newworld(G2) and also to get with the ship over an new place where King Rhobar and his Paladins are fighting with orcs that would be pretty cool and i think i know even how G3 will start but i will not say it in here cos that will spoil a little bit G2 players who havent finished yet the game
Post Wed Dec 25, 2002 2:13 am
TheCleric
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

G3 Wishlist

Personally, I'd like to see the following in G3:

1). More freedom of character creation. (By this I mean that regardless of which "Camp" you pick, you should have the ability to train in everything).

2). As big in size as G2, (including the "Old World" from G1).

3). Pixel shader effects. Generally better graphics.

4). The ability to mix-n-match armor pieces and to pick up armor off opponents you defeat.

5). "Levitation" Potions, Spellscrolls and Runes.

6). A few "Ambient" creatures (not hostile towards you).

7). The ability to carry a "Bedroll" and sleep in the wild.

. The ability to "Open" windows and climb into places would be cool. Or to be able to climb ropes, ladders, etc.
Post Wed Dec 25, 2002 8:06 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Most all of those seem to be aspects of Morrowind?
Post Wed Dec 25, 2002 7:08 pm
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

MW doesn't have climbing, bedrolls, or ambient creatures (though all but the first are available via mods). And it's much bigger in size than even G2.

On armor: I kind of appreciate the fact that in Gothic, armor isn't just more equipment; it's a uniform, reflecting your in-game allegiance, and an upgrade reflects reaching a serious in-game goal. This is interesting and unique to this game.

On levitation (or "flying"): it's interesting that in G2 the spell which comes closest to a flying spell -- Tranform into Bloodfly -- was taken out. Flying fundamentally alters game flow by allowing the player to access any part of the gameworld at any time. Gothic uses enemy placement to exert some measure of control over where the player goes, and flying would remove that device. Flying also requires the devs to model the world in quite a bit more detail -- where the player can visit every part of it, and look at it from any angle; as a bloodfly in G1, you could get to some areas which clearly weren't meant to be visited or looked at close-up, because they were completely unlandscaped (no flora or fauna, few polygons, one texture).

Not that I'm against having it in G3, but it means designing the game as a whole rather differently.

My primary wishes for G3 would be: even larger world (not necessarily including every place in the previous games), and, always, more more more choices / paths / quests / skills. Enough variety so you can play multiple times, seeing and doing really different things, throughout the whole game. To me the great thing about MW is the fact that the world is so big that you simply don't expect to do every available quest and see every location and every object in one play-through, or even in three. G2 is much bigger than G1, but from the time I spent with the demo it seems clear that most players will in fact do this their first time through -- to the extent that the experience is different in subsequent games, it will be due to faction restrictions on quests and areas, rather than to players simply choosing different areas to explore.

One place where I'd still like to see some improvement is in gender balance. Yes, G2 is clearly vastly better than G1 in this respect, and I'll admit I've only played the demo. From what I've gathered, the full game has a brothel (presumably containing a number of women) and at least one prominent female NPC -- in addition to the farmers' and tradesmen's wives that otherwise account for all of the females in the demo. Now the women have complete dialog trees, some (in the demo, one) have a role in a quest, and they're just as quick as the men to draw a weapon and attack the monster that you led into town This is progress.

But there still seems to be a huge population imbalance, leaving me wondering how people in this world procreate. Even granting that the Paladins come from the mainland as an army, and won't include women, and that the remains of the prison colony are still around and almost all male; there should still be on average one female for each of the LOCAL males, including the farm hands, apprentices, and hunters. In populations where there's been a lot of conflict, the women in fact should outnumber the men, since the men tend to get killed in battle.

If every unmarried woman in the game turns out to be in the brothel, I will not be happy Among other things, it implies that every farmer and tradesman has married an ex-prostitute, and all their daughters go immediately to work in the brothel. Hardly likely.

Now I'll get flamed, I suppose Ah well, do your worst! And merry Christmas.
Post Wed Dec 25, 2002 11:11 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hehe well lets say if u get the full versoin of gothic 2 and go to the old world ( to the colony) u will see why there are no womans
and again i have sayd that foooor soooo many times MW got Deja Vus i have played it and yes the graphics are veeeeeeeery awesome but when u travel too much u will see that there are many places just like somewhere u seen allready
merry cristmas from the oldcamper also
Post Wed Dec 25, 2002 11:43 pm
TheCleric
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

G3

Now that I think about it, G1 did have ladders to climb. As to the comparison with Morrowind, if I had to choose one over the other, I'd definately choose Gothic. But, having said that, Morrowind did have some nice features as well, and many of those features are common among other games as well.

I agree that more quests and skills would be nice. And it would be nice to finally have the name and background of our "Hero" revealed!
Post Fri Dec 27, 2002 11:10 pm
ghola
City Guard
City Guard

Note that G2 already has over 75 quests per class, which will keep you going for a loooooooong time. Also, more is not always better, questing should not become a chore. It's a matter of story build-up but a game designer cannot stretch foreplay forever, or the player will get bored and disconnect before the climax. I don't know how far you can take it, but G2 may already be pushing the envelope of casual gamers.

There are more skills too in G2! Even more would not hurt but only if the game can provide an economical purpose to every new skill, which is a real challenge to game designers. Example: Only few experienced players will bother to waste valuable skill points on learning how to take bloodfly wings. Therefore, fundamentally the skill is nothing but a beginner's pitfall, which is also a pitfall in game design. The more skills the more difficult it gets to make them all work.

Personally, I would like to see more career options. For example, a white collar hero who works himself up to a position where he will be able to hire people to do the nitty gritty field work, keeping himself busy with forming strategic alliances, finding people to work for him/her, accumulating power and wealth. Strategic and commercial classes. When playing G2 these classes seem rather obvious. Basically, I don't want to work for Cassia, I want to play Cassia. I don't want to report to Lord Jaddajadda, I want to be Lord Jaddajadda.
Post Sat Dec 28, 2002 11:27 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

The paucity of women in Gothic 1 never occurred to me as a problem. It was a prison colony -- what purpose would women serve there? The few women that were in the game had beleivable roles given the context of the game. They were ornaments, sex slaves, servants. That's how they would have been treated realistically. Don't tell me you beleive that you could just plop a woman prisoner in there and that the men woudl just "behave" -- ignoring biology and instinctual sexual urges.

I never understood the complaints about the game concerning this. Political Corectness has gone a bit overboard in the United States. I see it spilling into games and I was happy to see that Gothic was not a victim.

Look, I am happy that Gohtic 2 has more women as it is nice to see some variety in the character models and voices. But I am sure that they are goin g to keep it "real". like things were in Medeival times -- and have genders doing their "proper" roles for a change. Then, when you have a woman being a warrior, or a mage, etc.. it truly IS something special.

quote:

One place where I'd still like to see some improvement is in gender balance. Yes, G2 is clearly vastly better than G1 in this respect, and I'll admit I've only played the demo. From what I've gathered, the full game has a brothel (presumably containing a number of women) and at least one prominent female NPC -- in addition to the farmers' and tradesmen's wives that otherwise account for all of the females in the demo. Now the women have complete dialog trees, some (in the demo, one) have a role in a quest, and they're just as quick as the men to draw a weapon and attack the monster that you led into town icon_wink.gif This is progress.

[/quote]
Post Sat Dec 28, 2002 10:52 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

indeed u deffenetly right about the womans in G1 and also in G2 there womans do work and other stuff
Post Sun Dec 29, 2002 7:00 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2