Can my system handle this game?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Thorvar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Can my system handle this game?

From all I have read, the minimum specs are a joke. While my computer does have the reccomended specs, I would still like feedback from anyone who may know before I go out and buy the game.

AMD Athlon 800 mhz
512 SDRAM
GEForce II Nvidia

Will this cut it? Thanks for your advice!
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 7:34 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Yes, but don't expect good performance. What will help you is the 512 SDRAM. You will have to set the view distance to close, nevertheless.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 8:18 pm
Fireteddy
City Guard
City Guard

Bah, you should be fine. I have a GF2 32MB, 256MB RAM, and a P3-1GhZ and I can run it with the draw distance 3/4 of the way out, shadows off, and low AI distance acceptably, even in congested areas.

-Matt
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:04 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

My system:
AMD Athlon 900 Mhz
256 Mb RAM
Geforce 2 GTS

I get like 30-50 fps, sometimes it drops to 15 but i can live with that.
Im running the settings 1024x768, view distance pretty close and no shadows.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:42 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

Yeah, that should work, I run pIII800, gf3ti500, 512 sdram all on like 133mhz or whatever and in 1024, with view distance to 3/4, AI to 0, no shadows and sounds on high quality, I get more than acceptable framerates, of course with the occasional dropdowns. Whoohi, that was lots of useless facts!

CrossTopicBaner
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:01 pm
Thorvar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok thanks I can live with that then! I'm going to wait a week or two until Neverwinter Nights is released and see how the reviews on that one look before choosing one or the other. From what I have seen so far, I really am leaning towards Morrowind, but I still have a soft spot for old AD&D.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:03 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

You should be OK

OK I have lurked long enough - time to register with yet another forum and stop posting as annoymous

In answer to this question you should be OK - I think I probably run Morrowind on the worst system out there

P3 600
256 SDRAM
Geforce MX400 64mb (with latest detinators)
Win 98SE
DirectX 8.1

Now that is truely pants - but I am perfectly happy with the game - some stutters occasionally but I run with full shadows, 1024 x 786 and with full draw distance and high audio and still find it playable - perhaps I just don't notice the slow pace cos I have nothing to compare it too. I have turned off the options in the past but it didn't make too much difference. The only serious hit is when I forget to turn off my Virus Killer in the background before I play

So all in all I'd say get the game and enjoy
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:52 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

i think MW is going to be sluggish on any machine. it seems that even those blessed few who have the fastest & latest machines are having difficulties. so...you might as well toss caution to the wind and give it a try.
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:31 pm
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I don't know if this helps but.. I am running Morrowind on an Athlon Xp 2000+ with 512 DDRam and a Geforce 4.. It is kind of a fast system (according to all other games I play where I get way above average fps).. But in Morrowind I'm getting down to 5 fps in towns.. 70 or so in the wilderness. Morrowind doesn't seem to care about the system it runs on. It can eat up the performance of ANY system it runs on. Of course, I run the game with 100% view distance and 1280x960.. But still!
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 3:22 am
FN
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm sure you can run it...

I'm running:

AMD Athlon Slot A (yeah old school ) 600MHz
GeForce2 Pro 32MB running at, oh yes, 1x AGP
and last but not least, I'm feelin' the speed of 384MB of PC100 RAM

I run the game in 1152x768 (my desktop resolution, which I recommend everyone should be running at) with shadows off, view distance at 1/2. I get 30ish FPS on the Interior and anywhere from 5-15 FPS on the Exterior. It's not smooth by any means, but most definitely playable. You need 60+ FPS to play a first-person shooter like Tribes 2, but for this single player game, fighting 1-3 guys at a time, 20FPS avg is very playable.

</my two cents>
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 4:38 am
Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

1.4ghz athlonxp
Geforce4ti4600
512ddr ram
nforce mb ...fans on everthing including ram

I get the exact frame rate wether i am in 640x480 or 1600x...
Just as clueless as you are.
Wondering if i need 2gig of ram. What do you guys think?
Think i might try it just for experimentation.
Give me a few opinions plz.
Post Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:46 am
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

2 gigs RAM can never be wrong. But what most people tend to forget when i comes to fast computers is the speed of the harddrive and the, is it called FSB? You now, ddr ram runs at 266 mhz I think, and sdram at 133. I may be wrong about the terms in english, but I think you get the picture. No point in having a P4 2000mhz ON 800mhz fsb if your motherboard runs at 100mhz. Ok, so these figures isnīt correct but you know what i mean. And drivers. Not necessarily the newest, but the ones that works out best. If detonator 23.xx is slower than 21.xx why change?

CrossTopicBaner
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:40 pm
CharlieGuest

Re: You should be OK

quote:
Originally posted by Kendrik
In answer to this question you should be OK - I think I probably run Morrowind on the worst system out there

P3 600
256 SDRAM
Geforce MX400 64mb (with latest detinators)
Win 98SE
DirectX 8.1

Bzzzzt!

Original Slot-A AMD Athlon 700MHz
256MHz RAM
GeForce256
Original Win98

Yeah baby!

I have to agree with the latest Detonators - if you don't have them already GET THEM!

I couldn't play at first as my frame rate was down to about 2-4 FPS and I would crash to desktop when loading new scenes. Mostly I would crash on exiting the ship, but when I survived that I couldn't get through into the census office. Not once.

I applied the latest Detonators and I've not crashed since and my frame rate hovers between 10-20 in town moving around to 20-40 in interiors and the wilderness, peaking at 60 or so if I stare at the floor...
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 12:27 am

quote:
Originally posted by Thorvar

Ok thanks I can live with that then! I'm going to wait a week or two until Neverwinter Nights is released and see how the reviews on that one look before choosing one or the other. From what I have seen so far, I really am leaning towards Morrowind, but I still have a soft spot for old AD&D.

Careful... if you like AD&D *second edition* you have to be warned that NWN is using D&D *third edition* rules - which some of my friends so despise that they abandoned NWN before it was even released and play Morrowind instead!
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 12:30 am

Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

Re: You should be OK

quote:
Originally posted by CharlieGuest

Bzzzzt!

Original Slot-A AMD Athlon 700MHz
256MHz RAM
GeForce256
Original Win98

Yeah baby!

Ha! Are people going to post their puny systems here? Now, mine is even punier!

Athlon 500
384 MB RAM
GeForce2 MX 32 MB
W2K

I'm playing, or rather not playing, in 800x600x32, AI distance 1/5, view distance is hovering between 0 and maybe 1/3 at most outside, with 15-20 fps, depending on what FPS Optimizer can get out of it. Inside the frame rate goes up to 40 sometimes.

Top (or "bottom"?) that!

Meow...
Arhu
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:16 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next