Just picked up this game!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Rayder
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Very nice!! I like it!

I haven't played too far into it yet, but do you ever have more than just the main character to control during the course of the game? What I mean is, do you ever gather a party together and have 2 or 3 people (or more) stomping along the beautiful 3D landscape? That would be AWESOME! If not, oh well, I think I'm gonna like this one anyway.

I don't know if this is general knowledge or not but, did you know that if you do a 'Custom' install and checkmark everything(USA Edition), that it doesn't need the CD anymore to run? That just totally rocks! I hate hunting for the CD just to play. Most excellent!

---I'll probably get flamed for this, I have elsewhere, but..---
I've even been able to profile my wingman gamepad to utilize ALL necessary functions of the keyboard, and can play 100% Keyboard free. Why didn't they make this game work this way in Gothic's options, instead of me having to 'hack' it in? I don't think it would have been that difficult. And it makes the game alot more fun when I can sit back and play it, instead of being hunched over the keyboard all the time! But I digress...

This game is MILES closer to what I'm looking for in an RPG, compared to the topdown, 3/4 perspective(whatever) RPG's that are currently popular.

Kudos to Xicat and Pirahna-Bytes for a great game!! Keep up the good work! I definitely want to see more games like this one!
Post Tue Jan 08, 2002 6:35 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

Sure!!! we want more we want more WE WANT GOTHIC II heheheh and i want a english mod kit for gothic
Post Tue Jan 08, 2002 6:54 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

quote:

On 2002-01-08 12:35, Rayder wrote:

What I mean is, do you ever gather a party together and have 2 or 3 people (or more) stomping along the beautiful 3D landscape?

There will people that join you; but only briefly; and you will not control them, in the sense that you control their actions. But they will help you solve puzzles and kill various (big time) monsters. They will either follow you for a while; or you follow them. But, like I said, only briefly.
The scenery is very beautiful. The many waterfalls are pretty. I don't want to spoil the game; but there is a very pretty scene where you have a picnic with a Old Camp character named Mud. The setting is very pretty. You're on a grassy knoll overlooking the water. There are birds singing, soft music, and the sun reflects off of Mud's eyes...Well, I don't want to spoil it for you.

[ This Message was edited by: Max Killen on 2002-01-08 13:27 ]
Post Tue Jan 08, 2002 7:25 pm
mersil
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

actually, you could summon a dozen or so Skeletons etc.and have them follow you around
Post Tue Jan 08, 2002 7:41 pm
tfrost
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Rayder yo man can you please tell me how you hack the gamepad in.I have a usb creative gamepad.tried everything almost everything didnt work.I assigned all buttons to the keyboard but when I enter the game cant do anything with the gamepad.

Thanks,

The game is great.
Post Mon Jan 14, 2002 7:24 am
Rayder
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

---tfrost---

Well, I have the Logitech Wingman Rumblepad. This controller has excellent profile abitiies, once you set a profile and point out the .exe file for the game, it remembers to use that profile when you boot the game automatically...usually.

With Gothic, it wouldn't 'automatically' engage the profile to the game when I clicked on the Gothic desktop icon, I had to load up the profiler, and tell it to run Gothic THROUGH the profiler. And then it worked.

At first, it will be a little wierd until you hit the directionals a few times(wildly scrolls through the menu's), but then it 'figures it out' and now I can play 99.9% keyboard free(still have to type in savenames )

I'm not sure how the Creative's profiler works, so I don't know if this will work for your controller, but the Microsoft profiler for their Gamepad wouldn't work this way. So far, I've only been able to make it work with the Logitech's profiler.

Hope that helps ya!
Post Tue Jan 15, 2002 2:40 am

Thanks alot man working on it.
Post Tue Jan 15, 2002 9:48 am