Dark Messiah of Might & Magic: GC 2005 Trailer #2 @ Wort
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic: GC 2005 Trailer #2 @ Wort

We've probably seen this one as a "screener" before but UbiSoft has now officially released the <a href="http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=28087&mode=thread&order=0" target="_blank">second trailer</a> for 'Dark Messiah of Might & Magic' from the Games Convention 2005. Follow the link to Worthplaying for the 66MB download.
Post Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:46 am

I thought that RPGDot only covered RPGs. Why are you guys/gals covering a first-person action game?
Post Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:50 am

Garrett

Why do people keep asking this question with each newsbit over and over again?????

It is a RPG, as in the meantime also Ubisoft admitted...
Post Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:45 am

quote:
Originally posted by Garrett
Why do people keep asking this question with each newsbit over and over again?????

Maybe it's because the staff of RPGDot keep refusing to answer the question. If you want to cover first person shooters, then why not create a seperate hosted site for them like you did for adventure games?
Post Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:59 am

Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Fine, I'll bite. I don't really agree with Garrett's point because, frankly, I can understand the cynicism from RPG fans after that pathetic original announcement, not to mention that canned interview that makes it plain Ubisoft wants to pimp the action side. They'll need to unveil a lot more of these RPG elements to regain the interest of some fans.

Regardless, it does have RPG elements so it's perfectly valid for us to cover. We have also often covered games and news on the periphery of RPGs that we think might be of interest to our readers, so there has never been a mandate about only covering "pure" RPGs. The Might & Magic license and Arkane's previous work would be enough reason to cover it even it is/was a pure action game. Personally, much as I enjoyed Arx Fatalis it's more of an action-adventure than an RPG but noone complains about that because it's a pretty good game.
Post Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:12 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

The better question is where are these people when I get in a big argument here on what is an rpg? The occasional snide remark isn't going to change anyones opinion. We need to collaborate, like the news media, and force our opinions on others by suppressing their voice and views that conflict with our own.
Post Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:32 pm
Garrett

"Maybe it's because the staff of RPGDot keep refusing to answer the question. If you want to cover first person shooters, then why not create a seperate hosted site for them like you did for adventure games?"

??? DMoMM is not a FPS, it is a action RPG...
Should we not cover them? Drop Dungeon Siege, Diablo, Titan Quest?
Post Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:46 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Garrett
??? DMoMM is not a FPS, it is a action RPG...
Should we not cover them? Drop Dungeon Siege, Diablo, Titan Quest?

It is a FPS, you only need to read the interviews and watch the videos to see that. Throwing a few CRPG conventions into the mix to try and make the game stand out in an overcrowded marketplace already awash with FPS's isn't going to change that.
Post Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:52 pm

deiland
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

If this game is as good as Arx Fatalis was then it will be good. Arx was an action RPG and I like action. It took me a while to get used to the spell system in Arx, but it was certainly Role-Playing

The video's for this game are awesome. Did you see the one where the player sprayed down some gunk and the monster slipped on it and fell over the edge. That will be a cool feature. What about the part where the player swatted the shield and the sword from the creatures hand and then pushed him over the edge. That was cool too.

This will be a new twist for the Might and Magic series because the last few were not that good. I think I stopped playing them at 5 or 6 because they were not that good anymore.
Post Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:26 am
Garrett

"It is a FPS, you only need to read the interviews and watch the videos to see that. Throwing a few CRPG conventions into the mix to try and make the game stand out in an overcrowded marketplace already awash with FPS's isn't going to change that."

whatever you say, mr guest...pls do just be so kind not to comment on each newsbit about DMoMM in the future, ok?
Post Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:30 am

quote:
it is a action RPG

Uh..no it's not. The game is a FPS that uses the name of an RPG series.

This is taken right from the developers website.

quote:
UBISOFT ANNOUNCES DARK MESSIAH™ OF MIGHT & MAGIC® New Might & Magic® game to be powered by Source™ Engine from Valve SAN FRANCISCO – AUGUST 4, 2005 – Today Ubisoft, one of the world’s largest video game publishers, announces the development of Dark Messiah™ of Might & Magic®, a new first-person action game for the PC, powered by an enhanced version of the Source™ Engine, the award-winning game technology Valve created to power Half-Life®2. Developed by Arkane Studios, the team behind the critically acclaimed Arx Fatalis game, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic puts players in a first-person perspective, allowing them to immerse themselves in the legendary Might and Magic universe as never before. It is also the world’s first fantasy action game to feature a complete first-person combat system. It takes full advantage of the Source™ Engine’s exceptional technological enhancements in areas such as character animation, advanced AI, real-world physics and shader-based rendering. Ubisoft acquired the Might and Magic brand in 2003, and Dark Messiah of Might & Magic is the second title Ubisoft will be launching as it restores this famed franchise to glory. Dark Messiah of Might & Magic is scheduled for a summer 2006 release and will be shown for the first time at the Games Convention in Germany on August 17, 2005.

Just because Arkane has developed ONE RPG doesn't mean that every game that they develope afterwards will also be an RPG. This game proves it.
Post Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:34 am

the dim
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

*sigh*
Some people...

When will you close this forum for unregistered users?...
Post Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:53 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Because not all unregistered users are worthless whiners. Some of them are excellent contributors.
Post Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:08 pm