Sacred: Review @ Gamespy
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Sacred: Review @ Gamespy

Ascaron's 'Sacred' has come in for some fairly harsh treatment at Gamespy with their <a href="http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/sacred/504519p1.html" target="_blank">review</a> criticising bugs, difficulty and boring gameplay for a score of 2/5. Here's a clip:<blockquote><em>Most of the game-world takes place above ground, so if you were hoping for huge, complex, multi-level dungeons, you're going to be in for a real disappointment. The monsters also regenerate constantly, which can be a huge issue when you can't stock up on enough potions to reach an area far away. You'll go a little ways, find you're running out of healing potions before you ever reach the goal, return to the town to grab the small available stock of those potions, and then try yet again to reach your goal, only to find almost as many monsters in your way as before. It would have been nice if the merchants had infinite potions or eased off of the regenerating monsters. By doing neither, Sacred just becomes unnecessarily difficult, and not in a fun way. You'll probably find yourself running or riding past hordes of monsters in the hopes of saving your potions for the later, quest-related battles.</em></blockquote>
Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:17 am
methusala
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

It is not a perfect rpg by any standards but it is better than this moron gives it credit for.I found the "bronze" difficulty level just about right for starting out but maybe for folks like this critic a "tin" difficulty level would have been appropriate.He also seems to think that endless dungeon crawling is what makes a great rpg and I think "ya seen em once,ya seen em all"
Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:26 am

Wow... talk about having a bad day...
Unless you're a complete ninny, you'll most likely be selling potions to the merchants to clear up inventory space - it takes a looong time before you meet anything that'll challenge you if you play the game actually using your brain and the multitude of possibilities Sacred possesses with regards to combo attacks, instant regen of combo potions, socketing for life leech etc.
Far from a perfect game - imo it should be in beta now, scheduled for release in a few months, but hey... that's the industry for you.
That being said, I really hate to see reviews made by people who obviously had no clue what they were doing and spank the game for being to hard, in stead of looking at the cause - namely their own incompetence...
Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:15 am

Nemisis Dragon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

That's the first review I read about Sacred, that speaks the truth. I totally agree with that score!
Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:03 pm
Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
That's the first review I read about Sacred, that speaks the truth. I totally agree with that score!

After trying out my friend's copy, I kinda agree with much of the review although I think 3/5 stars would be better. But I think the biggest problem that wasn't mentioned in the review was the fact that the character classes overlap. And no, it's not like Divine Divinity where it actually complements the gameplay. I seem to get the feeling that the classes were included to make the game look 'cool' rather than having a serious purpose (who wouldn't want to play as a vampire? Too bad no werewolf classes tho ) . I think I'll give this a pass.
Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:42 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

They gave diablo 2 a higher score? that's sad.
Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:57 pm
Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
Originally posted by hoyp
They gave diablo 2 a higher score? that's sad.

D2 (and it's prequel, Diablo) were one of a kind back then, unless you count Nethack and it's clones. I think the only action RPGs worth mentioning at that time were Nox and Darkstone. It's even sadder how people forget gems like those.
Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:41 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Hm. 2/5 is unfair. I never was saving potions, the "bosses" aren't THAT tough. Granted, Sacred is far from perfect, but it certainly deserves better than 2/5.
Post Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:59 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ha, too hard. This is great. ToEE got slammed for that also. I think Ralph Wiggum is the new target market of game developers. Sacred too hard. This made me happy.

Someone on the ToEE board complained that the game was to "non-linear." What the hell is the world coming to? People will start complaining that these simple games like Sacred and Diablo made them chose a class. "I had to make a choice," they will complain in a Ralph Wiggum voice.

I'm going to go smoke crack and huff gas and maybe I will be able to join the target market of modern rpgs. I think all these games getting slammed for being too hard on new playersm and having a learning curve would of got slammed back in the late 80's early 90's for being way to simple and unchallenging. I guess the taget market back then was Lisa Simpson.
Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:09 am
mkreku
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

The problem with Sacred is that the characters in the game are very unbalanced. If I play the game as a gladiator, the battles are a piece of cake and the entire game child's play. But when I play it as a wood elf I constantly have to fight just to stay alive and there never seems to be enough potions.

I really like this game though. I'm the explorer-type and Sacred sure does offer a lot of exploration. Rewarding exploration! Multi-player (especially co-op) is also great fun, although it's extremely buggy.

I'd rate this game around 4/5 (on that crappy scale) or 80-85/100 on a better scale.
Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:23 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

What's so hard to accept? It's just another Diablo clone! It probably deserved the score it got. Two out of five stars isn't that bad, it's just not good either. I bet if I played the game I would have fun, but I would still agree with the score it got.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:49 am
Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

2/5 is a bit harsh (3/5 would be better), but then we shouldn't encourage developers to release buggy/unbalanced games. If you read the review, most of the critism came from unbalanced gameplay and bugs so it's justified that he gave a low score. TToE was buggy too, that's why many reviewers gave it mediocre results. I don't think they gave Sacred a 2/5 just because its a Diablo clone. If D3 is released in buggy form, I doubt they'll give it a high score too.
Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:22 am

Man, if that guy thinks Sacred is too hard, his brain would probably expolde playing a real RPG like Wizardry 8 or Fallout. I guess that morons like those are the reason games keep getting worse and worse.
Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:03 am

Gish
Almighty Gish
Almighty Gish

chill out people, the guy found a lot of problems with the game, he isn't going to give it a good score! I thought the demo wasn't that great, and I don't understand all this diablo bashing. I play all kinds of rpgs and the two diablos are two of my favorites, they're not "bad" just because they're hack and slash. maybe everyone doesn't like true crpgs. and diablo 2 was a lot better than sacred anyways, if for nothing else because it was fairly balanced and bug free, and most of all fun. and no the world is not going to hell and good crpgs are not going away forever
Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:24 pm

It's Gamespy... who cares about their crappy reviews. It's probably the same guy who gave Gothic 2 2/5 because you can't level fast enough in that game.
Post Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:49 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next