FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Morrowind comes across as a "kiddie game"
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
GlassTower

Well, I've been playing Morrowind since it was released in North America and I thought I would throw my two cents in this thread.

Morrowind is pretty sanitized, I am just going to have to admit it. I have been trying to force myself to love this game, because of the huge amount of object detail and the beautiful graphics, but something always felt like it was "missing". And I finally figured out what it was.

Everything in the world has been moderated. And this isn't necessarily a bad thing for any given title, but in the case of Morrowind it is ultimately devastating.

The problem is that Morrowind is suppose to be this desolate, cruel and unforgiving landscape. But it is not represented this way in the game. The character voices often sound cartoonish. From just hearing sound clips of the voice acting, you would probably swear it was coming from a saturday morning cartoon episode. They are overly dramatic and the "evil" voices really sound silly... it is so overdone that only a younger player could appreciate it.

I am just going to have to face it at this point, the game was designed for younger children and not necessarily the adult gamer. Sure, I could read a Harry Potter novel and imagine it is written by George R.R. Martin, but why bother?

I am ultimately impressed with the graphical accomplishments and I am still in awe of the object detail. But really, all these objects do not do anything. What is the purpose of a "fishing pole" when it doesn't do anything? Is there really a difference between a "fishing pole" worth 2 gold and a "broom" worth 2 gold. Not really.

This is precisely why the sanitized and censored nature of the product it so devastating. There is no multiplayer to roleplay... there are only the cartoonish NPCs that start feeling really really repetitive. A more dark and immersive atmosphere is critical in a single player role playing game of this nature!

Addressing the original poster: is Morrowind a "kiddie game"? After several days and countless hours of play I will have to relutantly admit, yes it is. That's not to say that it is not well designed and presented, but it does this with a child player in mind.

Harry Potter is an amazingly popular series that both children and sensitive adults enjoy reading. But I prefer a more realistic appraoch to the human condition, in both fictitious literature AND in fictitious computer role playing. And while Morrowind dishes out the eye candy a'plenty, it ultimately holds back anything that could be remotely considered controversial or offensive to children. And that really is a shame when remembering the game in which it originated.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 9:38 pm

Squeetard
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous

I think lack of imagination is what makes the game fun to people. Those without gaming experience and nothing to compare it to love morrowind those who have played 20+ games in the history of their life complain.

I have played 50+ games in "the history of my life" and I like this one.
To each his own. this is the first RPG I've stuck with though. I even find myself enjoying the slower pace.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 9:51 pm
Lawnmower

Whoever suggested that impression of Caius as just some stressed functionary is dead on. It's high-larious.

Anyway, desiring sex and violence is generally a more adolescent desire than an adult one. But I can definitely identify with you. Possibly one of you guys who is talented with the construction set could get off your ass and do something? The fact that you are posting here in the first place shows you believe the game has some potential. So why not rectify that mistake? Bethesda can't, with a mass-market game (also for a console!), do what you guys want. But they gave you the construction set. Contrary to what some believe, it was released precisely with this in mind, not cheating to get items. So why not make the game into what YOU want it to be?
Post Mon May 20, 2002 9:57 pm

Wabbit

The game may not be dark and/or vicious, sexual, and gloomy enough for some, but I doubt it has much appeal for kids - all the reading, the lack of direction, heck even the interface seems mature and restrained to me. I mean, I hear a lot of 'Kids' on these boards and others complaining mightily about there being too much reading. And it is NOTHING like Harry Potter - that is just absurd.

I personally think the game is maybe too mature for some of the posters criticizing it.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 10:02 pm

Wabbit

quote:
Originally posted by Lawnmower
Whoever suggested that impression of Caius as just some stressed functionary is dead on. It's high-larious.

Anyway, desiring sex and violence is generally a more adolescent desire than an adult one. But I can definitely identify with you. Possibly one of you guys who is talented with the construction set could get off your ass and do something? The fact that you are posting here in the first place shows you believe the game has some potential. So why not rectify that mistake? Bethesda can't, with a mass-market game (also for a console!), do what you guys want. But they gave you the construction set. Contrary to what some believe, it was released precisely with this in mind, not cheating to get items. So why not make the game into what YOU want it to be?
Post Mon May 20, 2002 10:03 pm

Wabbit

quote:
Originally posted by Lawnmower

Possibly one of you guys who is talented with the construction set could get off your ass and do something? So why not make the game into what YOU want it to be?

Are you kidding? It's so much easier to just bitch and whine on a bulletin board than actually do something about it.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 10:05 pm

Sasquatchenator

I found some guy dead from an overdose of skooma or moonsugar or something, i cant remember...But what i DO remember is that i took his pipe, and once i find some drugs, i'm smoking them! Hows that for an adult game? haha
Post Mon May 20, 2002 10:10 pm

SlitherSly
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I was just listening to some of my heavier music and was just thinking of how awesome it would be to have a mod based on a futurisitc world, much like Fallout. Fallout in first person would be great, however I lack the skills to do something so huge and the team or time. Maybe some of the community mod makers could take this idea further.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 10:18 pm
Serpent

I wouldn't say that Morrowind is necessary a "kiddie game". It is more like the the movie The Prince's Bride. It is sort of like a fairy tale setting and not really an adult fantasy setting.

I could definately see how it would appeal to a kid though.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 10:52 pm

would u prefer to see a bunch of pots heads dead on the street and whenever u attack a kid drops down and explodes all over withh blodd everywhere?
Post Mon May 20, 2002 11:13 pm

People who can control their lower nature's impulses speaks of maturity to me. Sounds like Morrowind is full of adults.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 11:22 pm

SlitherSly
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
would u prefer to see a bunch of pots heads dead on the street and whenever u attack a kid drops down and explodes all over withh blodd everywhere?

Heh that's hilarious.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 12:46 am
Lawnmower
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

High-larious the first time it happens. Wouldn't you get rather bored though? Oh, and:

quote:
Are you kidding? It's so much easier to just bitch and whine on a bulletin board than actually do something about it.

Duh. That's what I'm doing.

Don't do drugs. Pick one and stick with it.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 3:01 am
Jellyfish

I prefer to have my violence inside the computer and my sex and nudity in real life so I really don't care that there is no nudity. As for decapitation and gore, I am happy to get the game now rather than wait another few months for a feature that would add nothing to the game.

Those that think it is a kiddie, harry potter-esque type game obviously haven't been given the mission to go and steal bodyparts from an ancestral tomb or summoned any undead... not exactly kiddie concepts. Go and play Postal ffs.
Post Tue May 21, 2002 3:23 am

Squeetard
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

We still on this topic? Let it Die already. Please.

And ohbrandi is hot, so be nice to her
Post Tue May 21, 2002 5:44 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next