Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Gothic 2 is awesome in every respect but voice acting - Why?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I don’t know about that…

PB: Dude…We all listened to your audition tape and we all agree that you would be a perfect so & so. How would you like to do his lines?

Dude/Dudet: Hell yea!........You ain’t jerk’n me are ya?

PB: Hell no!.......It’s simple. We’ll send you the lines and a brief note explaining the context of the conversation we need and you send us a tape with the recorded dialog.

Dude/Dudet: What if you don’t like it?

PB: That’s easy…We scrap the tape, tell you what’s wrong and you send us another one.

Dude/Dudet: Cool…I’m in. What do I get out of it?

PB: That’s the best part. You get your name printed in the credits.

Dude/Dudet: No money?

PB: Nope…just your name.

Dude/Dudet: Sure…what the hell.

PB: Great…Now before we begin, we need you to sign and notarize this contract stating that your pay consist of nothing more than your name listed in the credits.

Oh…one more thing, we also need you to sign this Non Disclosure Agreemnt…wouldn’t want you to tell your friends what you were doing…OK?

Sylvio
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:54 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

And what’s with the lady in keeper…I felt I was in NYC. I couldn’t stop laugh’n, it was hysterical. Too bad she dosn’t start talk’n to ya every time you enter the Inn.

Sylvio
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:34 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

There are unions in germany as well.

Voice actors need to be paid.
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:02 am
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

not if they arent in the union stamar ie: hired right off the street, they'd probally do a better job than those bastards in the unions
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:14 am
darth
Village Leader
Village Leader

oh no!

That evil Gorath locked my mini-review topic! Now noone will see it! this is a pretty strict forum, I'm afraid to repost it here

In any case I didn't see this thread and I read all the posts, somehow it escaped my leet forum reading skillz

In any case I think that like I mention in my review most of the voice acting is pretty well done and I that if it wasn't for Diego we would all be pretty happy campers right now. Hopefully this will be rectified for the expansion and/or G3.

-d
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:30 pm
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

I laughed my ass off when i was following Lares to find Onar's farm, when he killed a beast and said "I love this sh!t" that's just......funny.

-Guru,Gang Starr |Skills|
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:56 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Kavok
How about when you reach the limit of a teacher and their voice changes?

Heh. Yeah, that's just a nice subtle reminder that we're still playing a computer game. They probably only recorded two "come back when you have more expreience" voices. One female, one male. So when the game script determines you don't have enough learning points, it temporarily falls back to those stock phrases.

BUT, I do seem to recall that in G1, everyone had their own distinct "you don't have enough experience" voice. You know, its only a single line of dialgoue though. Not that big a deal to just have every character that could train you read this line. I wonder if they actually forgot to have this done on a group of people and just fell back on some default voice.
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:04 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Lysander
quote:
Originally posted by Irf
Well, voice acting = expensive, and i guess rpg's tend to have rubbish voice actors because of their settings, Gothic 2 is set in medievil times, they hired american voice actors, but america didnt exist back then (well, no english speakers were there) so obviously the voices will not fit, they should ahve hired british voice actors, IMO it would have sounded alot better. It would have been good if they didnt have the same actor for both a lead role and citizens/farmers. And i agree lee, and a few other lead characters have terrible voices

As I've said before, it makes no sense to for everyone to have British accents, as the game is not set in Britain.

And beside that fact, I think the fact that the voices sometime don't match "medeival" times is what makes Gothic Gothic. One of the things that drew me into the first game was this feeling that these average joe, everday type people were all existing in this fantasy world. It was the juxtaposition of the Brookyln/Jersey/American accents with the fantastical orcs, magics, and swords, etc. that set the game apart for me. I felt like I could actually MEET these people today. I know its all anachronisitc, but that combo actually worked for me.

quote:
Originally posted by Lysander

My main problem with the voices is that they often don't match the character. The way I would have done it is that the people from the mainland have a different accent than the Khorinisians, like if the mainlanders had British accents but everyone else had American accents. And no Southerners (except maybe some of the farmers).
I miss Diego's old voice.

Gosh, would you people lay off Southerners! If they have voice actors who sound like they're from New York, why can they not also have people that sound like they're from the Deep South.

It's true though that messing with Diego's voice WAS a big no-no. They should have tried their hardest to keep all the original voices the same (Actually, I assume they did and for whatever reason, couldn't get the same actor again).
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:18 pm
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by bigkabuto
I laughed my ass off when i was following Lares to find Onar's farm, when he killed a beast and said "I love this sh!t" that's just......funny.

Or when they say "You somebitches!"

Actors coming back for the sequal is always about money. Or they're dead.
Like Tank in Matrix. He wanted more money. What a somebitch!

Is Gothic 2 selling very well? I know it's #1 in Germany, but is that saying anything at all? Since so many games are banned or modified-to-Barney-status there.
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:18 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

well they could have at least tried to find someone that sounded slightly similar to the original diego
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:23 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3