Whats the Point?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Danicek: Sorry, I messed up again, I wanted to quote the OP

Guest: No offense, but the interesting part is the character development, the adventures you make on your own. The main quest, or grand goal, isnt the biggest cool thing. I fear you might find MW not very satisfying in the end.

Well, not every game is for everyone eh?
Post Wed May 08, 2002 4:24 pm
Warmaster-Horus
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I've been playing Morrowind since Monday(Not without breaks mind you) and i thought the open ended gameplay was amazing, it's like Daggerfall, only with a purose.... and no crippling bugs

=Leader of the Horus Heresy=
=Champion of Khorne=
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE THRONE
Post Wed May 08, 2002 4:32 pm
Fozz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yeah, as the others have said some games just aren't meant for some people. I for one am bored to tears by games like Dungeon Siege or Diablo yet millions of people swear by them so to each his own, eh?

There's a ton of things I've found to be fun and interesting so far. The storyline seems to be very deep and well planned out. I've just started on the main line after playing the game since Thursday, but so far it's been quite interesting. Yes, there's alot of reading, but I think most of that knew that going in. Some people say there's too much "bla-bla" but to me that's the interesting part. The "bla-bla" is the game, it's how the story is conveyed to you and if you don't put effort into trying to understand it then you won't get much out of the game.

I've also found the factions to be quite interesting. I've been focusing on only the Thieves Guild so far, finally rising to the top of that guild after countless hours of gameplay. I still have what, 9 more factions to play through? Now that's deep. There are some "pointless" quests, but most make sense in the context of what you are doing. I think most of the pointless quests are the tiny sidequests given to you by people along the roads or random people in town, the faction quests and of course the main quest seem very pointed towards a single goal.

The world itself is interesting. A few times while doing quests for the Thieves, I've wandered into places that had a definite "wow" factor. The world design is beautiful and the unique look of the various regions keeps exploration fresh. I've tried not to go more dungeons than necessary since I am a thief, not a fighter, but the ones I have gone in are very neat looking. The tombs are pretty spooky with the lighting effects and the translucency of the ghosts. I may be a 25 year old man but I still jump when I turn the corner and see an unexpected visitor.

Collecting things is interesting. I call it the "pokemon" factor, gotta catch em all. I can't wander by a blue lamp without stealing it, it's a weakness of mine. I take them and decorate my cave in Seyda Neen with them. I also collect suits of armor and neat looking weapons, even if I can't use them. Is it important to the story? No. Does it make me a geek? Yeah, probably, but I still do it. I can't wait to get a big house or castle to decorate with my collections. I just wish there was a way to put the armor on a stand-up dummy... ah well.

In the end, you have to decide what you want. If you want a story to be handed to you on a platter then MW isn't for you, but luckily every RPG made today seems to be linear so you're sure to find something you like. If however you are tired of the same old "Levelup, kill the bad guy, get the princess" garbage, then I think your prayers and mine have finally been answered. I for one think Morrowind will be game of the year, edging out Neverwinter Nights in the end. But that's just my opinion.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 4:45 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Mephisto
Danicek: Sorry, I messed up again, I wanted to quote the OP eh?

Hehe, I thought you quoted me by mistake .
Post Wed May 08, 2002 5:09 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2