View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
sealight4
City Guard
City Guard

new team v2.0 (spoilers)

My new team is being formed for a second go around.What is the sword the
Ranger only can have? If I remember right . The eagle Eye bow comes late in the game, is there a way to get it earlier? And a fairy Ninja only can weild the staff Don Corleone drops? I'm trying Otter's way from an earlier post for getting everyone green quickly, if I can find it again! I can't decide to dump the bard or gadgetier this round for a better long range caster. I think this group will be all ranged weapons in primary except the mage or priest,again undecided. I know I'll have a Lord and a Ninja.Thanks
Post Sun Oct 20, 2002 3:41 am
otter
One of Us

You can sneak all the way up to Bela via the bridge from Northern Wilderness, i've done that as young as L9. He sells Eagle Eye. But i don't use them, a Doubleshot Crossbow with just Hunter Quarrels has more effect.
I don't know of a Ranger-only sword; there's a Mook-only sword, and Mooks make good Rangers...
Only Faerie Ninja can wield the Cane. I haven't had one for more than half the games i finished, though...no Ninjas at all, in fact.
Lords are one of my faves. Their Dual Wield skill bonus added to The Mauler's Mace bonus and Diamond Eyes make up one of the most powerful tanks possible.
My way of getting everyone green--do you mean the Rapax? That's going as directly as possible to the Castle and then to the Templar quest; the hardest part of this is El Dorado. The youngest i tried that was L13, and that was really tough, i used my Amulets of Healing a lot, and 2 Elementals. Since you gotta kill him to get to Al-S (who's noticably easier than El-D) it's either that or be hexxed when you leave...which i had to do to finance shopping at Ferro's for the stuff i needed to kill El-D!!!
Post Sun Oct 20, 2002 5:54 am
sealight4
City Guard
City Guard

I was thinking of the giant sword which I found and could'nt use. Also I want a 4 person party and only have a Lord picked out so far. I tried different combos on gregor last night level3-4 mostly and can't decide on the other 3. I guess some ideas on a 4 person party and some char developement ideas, I can press the buttons all by myself
In the last game if I didnt rush for melee my fighters stood around waiting and fumbling potions.switching weapons took a turn and it was too late.My bard seemed ineffective later on and 6 people is confusing. the Mage ran out of spells and I of course developed the characters without a formula and will try to do better but won't Lastly, a good pickpocket in the latest patch?C ouldn't pick a penny off the ground much less PP an NPC last game with my bishop and Bard, seems like fun if developed! Vi will be added again later.
I forgot to sleep again, darn game!
Post Sun Oct 20, 2002 12:24 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

The giant sword, IIRC, is usable by fighter, lord, valkyrie & ranger classes - but is restricted by race to mook. It looked great, but I never got to use it either (my first party had a mook monk, my current party doesn't have any mooks IIRC).

Latest patch (1.2.4) basically kills the PP skill. From what I read, I wouldn't waste time even trying to develop a character to use it.

By "getting everything green", I think you're talking about spellcasting? My advice is to cast unnecessarily as much as you can the 9 durational non-combat spells, and I think hypnotic lure and sonic boom work too, just before camping. These practice casts can improve your skills (casting unnecessary healing spells will NOT improve skills). One interesting thing I've noticed - when my valkyrie (not Vi, BTW, although it would probably work for her too) casts heal all using the game's auto-selecting power level, her divinity and divine realm skills seem to have an excellent chance of increasing every time.

I almost never use potions in combat. With a party of 6, it just isn't worth it 99% of the time. Exception: canned elemental, but I use a spell caster with higher artifacts skill. Ditto for powders not being used in combat, except devil dust & dust of banishment. But again, I use casters rather than fighters. And the more powerful my party is, the less I use any of this stuff.

I loved my bard later in the game - develop his music skills, which comes naturally, and watch him (or her, as mine was female) go with supporting spells - haste, heal all, and restoration (cast on herself just to restore stamina so she could play more!). [As an import party, mine also had banish and fireball, which probably are NOT available to you, but these were useful to a lesser extent.] Now first time through I played in a different party formation, so she was in the back using a sling (although IIRC bards can use bows, mine was a faerie so she couldn't). But if I were to use a bard now, it wouldn't be a faerie and they'd be up on the front line with a sword to melee with.

Lastly, switching weapons should NEVER cost you time. Each fighter-type should aim to focus on only one type of melee weapon and one type of long distance weapon. Even your two handed fighters can use swords in both hands. So most weapon swaps are unnecessary. If there is a special case, you can switch between the melee and distance weapons without using the equip option without losing a round - left click on the character, and when the stats are displayed, click a second time over the weapons to swap them. For example, my gadgie is on my front line, and is a decent swordsman but is a great marksman with his omnigun effect. In a very tough encounter with a boss-type monster, I'll say fire away even though he's in melee range. I also love the autoswap feature, so when distant creatures become close, I don't waste missiles when hand-to-hand works.
Post Sun Oct 20, 2002 1:44 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I like to grab the Rest All spell as soon as possible and cast it once during combat. It builds up my water skill nicely and let's my bard continue without fainting every five seconds. It also keeps my samurai and monk from ever falling unconscious because they get so many attacks. Not to mention it's useful later on when battles get longer and more drawn out.
Post Sun Oct 20, 2002 10:08 pm
sealight4
City Guard
City Guard

After a weekend of experimenting I got the game going finally.i kept the fairy Mage and ranger. Changed the Dracon to a Lizard fighter, got a Lord for casting but no blue is showing on her yet so I guess the Lord gets magic later like the Ranger IIRC. I blew through Gregor so Arnika road will bring me down to earth I'm sure. I have a
Bard and Gadgeteer and added a Samurai. My Fairy keeps fizzling Energy Spells and getting Dead but reloads fix that.
Post Mon Oct 21, 2002 12:43 pm