Problem with sound in 5.1
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Nephilim
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Problem with sound in 5.1

This is strange. I have a 5.1 setup and if I walk up to an NPC and I'm looking directly at them I can't hear them whatsoever. However, if I turn a bit to the left or right I can hear them just fine.

Sound IS coming out of the center speaker. I can hear the weather effects, footsteps, whatnot. Just not voices.

My setup:
WinXP Pro
Athlon 1.4gHz
384MB DDR RAM
Geforce 2 32MB
SB Audigy Platinum
Cambridge Soundworks DTT2500 5.1 speakers

I have updated all of my drivers and windows XP itself. Is there a setting somewhere that I may have missed?
Post Tue May 07, 2002 1:06 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I'm no expert but it sounds like a computer setup problem not a game problem. Have you ever ran one of those 5.1 test that says "Front Left, Front Right, Rear left, Center, Rear Right" ?? To see if it works properly?
Post Tue May 07, 2002 2:32 am
Nephilim
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yes...the speaker works just fine. The only sounds that don't come out of it are the voices in Morrowind.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 8:41 am
Dark Lotus
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

<u>PC stats</U>
CPU: 1.3GHz Athlon
RAM: 384 DDR
Video Card: 64Mb GeForce2 MX

Despite the fact that I'm getting rid of that damn card... I have Creative Labs 5300 5.1 surround sound and havent encountered the problem you mentioned.... voices are fine to me.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 10:39 am
Kilmar

I had the same problem. The reason this happens is you have the SBLive! setup for 5.1 speakers. The reason this does not work is the center speakers do not get used in the game. SBLive! attempts to play the speech on the center speaker which is disabled, thus causing a muting effect when directly facing someone who is talking.

Change the speaker setup in the Creative menu from 5.1 to either LiveSurround or 4 point speaker. When you face someone directly, you will hear them in both the left and right speaker. This will not disable the surround effect. All it does is it makes your Front L/R speakers become the center channel.

Hope this helps. And no, this is not a hardware issue. It's the developer's issue for not making 5.1 speaker support

P.S. This happens in numerous other games.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 3:02 pm

Nephilim
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Okay...well, I don't have LiveWare installed, but I'll try setting the speakers to 4.1 in the control panel.

Ah hell...I'll just download LiveWare. Bleh.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 4:18 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Kilmar
I had the same problem. The reason this happens is you have the SBLive! setup for 5.1 speakers. The reason this does not work is the center speakers do not get used in the game. SBLive! attempts to play the speech on the center speaker which is disabled, thus causing a muting effect when directly facing someone who is talking.

Change the speaker setup in the Creative menu from 5.1 to either LiveSurround or 4 point speaker. When you face someone directly, you will hear them in both the left and right speaker. This will not disable the surround effect. All it does is it makes your Front L/R speakers become the center channel.

Hope this helps. And no, this is not a hardware issue. It's the developer's issue for not making 5.1 speaker support

P.S. This happens in numerous other games.

Hrm if this is true how come with my Audigy 5.1 and my Klipsh Promedia 5.1 speakers SET to 5.1 works fine in Morrowind? If what you say is true about center speakers not working in the game, then I wouldn't be able to hear it, and I do.
____
I just tested this to make sure and yes when I walked directly to an NPC I heard him speak directly from my center speaker..

Also just as a test as an NPC spoke I panned myself from left to right and behold I heard it on the left, then center, then right. Same goes for behind when the NPC was behind me

Post Wed May 08, 2002 4:24 am
Nephilim
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Actually, Morrowind is the ONLY game I have that this issue occurs in, and I have LOTS of games.

All of my other games have no problem playing all sounds out of the center channel. In Morrowind, ONLY the NPC voices will not play in the center channel. All other sounds come out of that speaker just dandy,
Post Wed May 08, 2002 5:26 am
Nephilim
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Okay. after installing all the Creative software for my Audigy and setting the speakers to 4, it worked. I now have voices coming out of the center speaker.

I'm thinking that it is a hardware issue with the DTT2500 amp/decoder. Apparently the digital DIN connection does not support the center speaker on this speaker system. Oh well....at least it works now. Guess it's time to buy new speakers after I get my Geforce 4 Ti4400. Either that or bring my spare Dolby reciever in here and connect it to my computer.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 4:03 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Nephilim
Okay. after installing all the Creative software for my Audigy and setting the speakers to 4, it worked. I now have voices coming out of the center speaker.

I'm thinking that it is a hardware issue with the DTT2500 amp/decoder. Apparently the digital DIN connection does not support the center speaker on this speaker system. Oh well....at least it works now. Guess it's time to buy new speakers after I get my Geforce 4 Ti4400. Either that or bring my spare Dolby reciever in here and connect it to my computer.

Ah, sounds logical (actually I have no Idea what you are talking about, but I'm glad you got it working!)
Post Thu May 09, 2002 4:13 am
Nephilim
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Shifter

Ah, sounds logical (actually I have no Idea what you are talking about, but I'm glad you got it working!)

LOL

Yeah, me too. It was really starting to bug the hell out of me!
Post Thu May 09, 2002 4:30 am