Usergroups
What the heck
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Username
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok... a birdy told me that when the english version came out that nothign was cut when this is CLEARLY not the case. For example, anyone ever wonder what the big block of wood is to by Gravo, well from screen shots it looks like it was like a stage, you can see it for yourself. Go to http://www.rpgdot.com/team/articles.php?ID=92
They also cut out the mission with the thugs AND *i belive* the mission in chapter 5 where Diego tells you to get Lares and that other guy for a meeting which never takes place. Also they cut out the fights which is obvious for two reasons. 1. You can place bets, oh but wait no you cant cause noones fighting. 2. at one point in the day everyone gathers around the pit and watches nothing like zombies. I thought it was unfair to the people so i went down there and killed mud for their entertainment. Anyway, this isnt a flame on gothic so dont reply with that crap. All im saying is that this is cruel punishment especially when you dont remove them all the way. Gothic is stil by far a great game.
Post Fri Dec 28, 2001 4:02 am
jldawson
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Oh yeah... I remember reading an interview where one of the developers said that their friend's music would be performed on a stage in the game. :~P Clearly this is what's happening in the screenshot. Is this in any other version of the game?

[ This Message was edited by: jldawson on 2001-12-27 23:04 ]
Post Fri Dec 28, 2001 5:02 am
Username
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Im not sure but it looks like a hell of a good time that we are missing out on doesnt it. =P
Post Fri Dec 28, 2001 6:01 am
pakaraatzi
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I really wanted the fights, it would have made the game so much more real feeling, and alive.

But I guess i cant complain, its still a great game!

Maybe they can add it in a patch, it would be cool, is there even a patch planned?
Post Fri Dec 28, 2001 6:04 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I knew they cut the gig out when Björn said "Nothing else important has been cut out."
Classify the gig as unimportant and he is telling the truth.

I mentioned this a few times before in the forums, but nobody responded to it.
Let me just say, this animated 3 minute concert was the highlight of the game.
Maybe the international license was unavailable or too expensive.

http://www.inextremo.de
A link to the English index is on the right, two of their videos are in the download section. Streamed Realmedia files.

All the other quests mentioned are also not implemented in the German version.
Post Fri Dec 28, 2001 6:18 am
Username
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Will someone please send me a copy of their bikinitexture.VDF file over ICQ 62466687. its in your gothic data folder, im running between watching the green mile and this so just send it to my number and i will accept, i thank you tons. I am awake so please send. *sigh* noone has sent it yet but im hoping someone will? if someone does i will post it here right away, im watching green mile and running here over and over so send please.

[ This Message was edited by: Username on 2001-12-28 01:31 ]
Post Fri Dec 28, 2001 6:23 am
Username
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks guys, 15 reviews and noone has sent. Guess i shouldnt of expected it Im going to go to sleep, maybe better luck in the morning since I cant even play gothic without this stupid file. If someoen would be nice enough, i have my icq running still and i changed it so that you dont need my permisson, if you would just transfer file and leave it up then i would much appreciate it. Goodnight

[ This Message was edited by: Username on 2001-12-28 02:58 ]
Post Fri Dec 28, 2001 8:29 am

quote:

On 2001-12-28 00:18, Gorath wrote:
Let me just say, this animated 3 minute concert was the highlight of the game.
Maybe the international license was unavailable or too expensive.

Which gig do In Extremo perform in the german version?

BTW: the outfits of this medieval metal band obviously match those in Gothic, as you can see in the real video of their cover version of 'This Corrosion':
http://www.inextremo.de/_realmedia/video/thiscorrosion.ram

So, who imitated ???
piranha bytes or In Extremo? Or is this analogy by accident ?
Post Tue Jan 08, 2002 3:46 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Herr Mannelig (acoustic version).
It was an official cameo.
Post Tue Jan 08, 2002 9:44 pm
Brak
City Guard
City Guard

Hey, I forget where I read it, but Gorath hit the nail on the head. The article I read said that the international licensing for the mini concert could not be successfully negotiated and so it was omitted from the English version.

Post Tue Jan 08, 2002 10:15 pm
Brak
City Guard
City Guard

Omission of that file should not prevent you from running the game. I have changed the name of that file to something the game won't recognize or use and Gothic still runs for me.

I hope you can get the game to run because it is a sad world without it. Good luck.

[ This Message was edited by: Brak on 2002-01-08 16:24 ]
Post Tue Jan 08, 2002 10:22 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

my game runs without that file..i deleted it, after sending a backup to a different folder, of course..

Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 1:26 am

quote:

On 2002-01-08 16:15, Brak wrote:
the international licensing for the mini concert could not be successfully negotiated and so it was omitted from the English version.

If this is true, then the holders of the international license (Metalblade Records, Los Angeles) are really simple minded. It would have been a great chance for mutual promo.

Anyway, omitting this concert in non-german versions of Gothic is not a minor issue.

For those of you who are not familiar with this band - especially in the States - :
In Extremo is a septett from Berlin, that plays a unique mix of metal and medieval music with lyrics in different, also extinct, languages. On stage they are dressed in leather-kilts and use a lot of fire.
By now they are cult in Germany and around, with their concerts being usually overcrowded and the whole audience going crazy. They did their way without great promo or marketing. Their success - also international - was based on touring frequently, very positive reviews and word-of-mouth recommendations.

This seems also to be the way that piranha-bytes intends to go with Gothic; no great promo, not many advertisements:
success based on quality and not on marketing.
This may work for bands, at least in the long term range. But I'm not sure if it works for games where the initial investment is much higher and has to be returned relatively soon.

Fortunately, Phenomedia, the mother company of piranha-bytes, has made so much money with their Moorhuhn series (moorhen - chicken chase, introduced late 2001 also in US) that even if Gothic misses the expected sales they could afford to make a sequel.
Post Wed Jan 09, 2002 4:04 pm

battyman
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

that sux man
Post Thu Jan 10, 2002 2:15 pm
RingWrath
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

wow..
ill be happy if theres just a few mods for gothic.. will let the gothic goodness continue
Post Thu Jan 10, 2002 2:18 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next