PS2 - what games are hot.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Absolutely Off Topic

Author Thread
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

PS2 - what games are hot.

We are moving in less than a week to new state, moving us closer to a lot of our Grandkids. So we went out last night and bought a Playstation 2 for the kids (Yeah, right). We also bought Hitman 2, Dance Revolution, and Final Fantasy 10. What are the must have games in PS2?
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:45 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

I've not got a PS2 myself, but from playing on friends' machines I heartily recommend Burnout 2 - it's a very high-speed racing game, through streets with traffic. It's the kind of game that you can't blink while playing! It includes a huge number of cars - not all you'd actually want to drive though - most (all?) cars come in different colours, it has a two-player split screen mode, alternative game modes including pursuit (cop catching bad guys) and crash (cause the biggest pile-up you can). The controls are excellent - no harsh learning curve here.

Other than that, I've got nothing. I've not been impressed with any of the other games I've played - Metal Gear Solid was too slow, Vice City became very samey, Starsky and Hutch feels more like a free web game than a £40 console title, the snowboarding games are again very samey. Any other games I've played have completely slipped my memory!

I'm told Transformers is very good, but haven't personally played it.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:50 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

If you want really deep complex games...

Gran Turismo 3 - A Spec...the greatest racing game of all time

Romance of the Three Kingdoms 7,8,9...deep historical turn-based strategy

Dynasty Tactics...turn based strategy

And for a fun Diablo clone...

Champions of Norrath...even has random levels
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:53 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Heres my picks from my favourite Genre's:

Platform: Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (approx $20)
NOTE: This is the first Jak & Daxter, I didnt like the sequel so much...

RPG: (Broken down into best areas:)
Storyline: Final Fantasy X & Xenosaga
Turn Based Combet: Final Fantasy X & Xenosaga
Real Time Combat: Dark Cloud 2

Racing:
GranTurismo 3: A-Spec (Only if your into realism, not arcade)
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:55 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

Some good games for the PS2;
Kingdom Harts,
Jak II (better then the first one IMO)
the Tekken series. good fighting games (if you allow them to play such games )
Dynasty Warriors 4

those are a few, good games.

oh, and ofcouse - only if they are soccer fans - the game Pro Evolution Soccer 3. the best soccer game these days.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:27 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Just to mention:

Jak IMO is a traditional Platformer.

Jak II is more of an Action Shooter game, with lots of driving and a small amount of traditional platform gaming.

The one you prefer will depend on what style of gaming you like...

P.S. Kingdom Hearts was my second choice for Real Time Combat, but it lost out to Dark Cloud 2 because DC2 is has more variety in its gameplay and is not so completely linear.

Last edited by Chekote on Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:42 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

I agree, but then again Platform isn't really my favorite. I read a few previews and first looks about Jakk III, and that couldn't go without drooling, the game is going to be almost perfect IMO.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:45 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ico is the best game on PS2!!!!! Seriously. You gots ta get it.

I'd second Burnout 2, I have it on Gamecube and it's excellent.

I'd also go for Mark Of Kri, a superb fighting/stealth game.
If you never played them on Dreamcast, I'd also recommend Rez and Headhunter.

If you like music games, definitely get Frequency and/or Amplitude, they are easily the best music games I've yet played (the learning curve on Frequency is pretty steep, though).

And if you like weird stuff, try:
Freak Out (called Stretch Panic in the US), a bizarre game in which you use your possessed scarf to stretch and twang things;
Gregory Horror Show, looks like a kids' game but is actually quite spooky and disturbing;
Magic Pengel, a great game in which you can draw your own creatures as 2D sketches and see them animated in 3D in Pokemon-style creature vs. creature battles.

And keep an eye out for Katamari Damacy (Japanese title, I think it's only available there at the moment), a game in which you roll a sticky ball around and everything sticks to it (road markings, people, lamp posts, everything!) - haven't played it yet, but it looks great and has received excellent reviews.

I'm currently playing Way Of The Samurai, it has its faults but it's certainly worthwhile - the game is essentially a short story which can be played from start to finish in a couple of hours, but on replaying you can experience the story from different perspectives (by deciding which people or factions to side with, if any) and gradually unlock more features. Gameplay is a mix of beat-em-up action and conversations. Not a brilliant game, but worth a look if you can find it cheap (I got it for under £3).

But Ico is incredible, I'd say you should put it at the top of your list.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:47 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Ace Combat 4.

2 player dog-fights. Many jets to fly. Killer analog control. Also, this game is cheap 10-20 bucks at most stores.

Ace Combat 5 will smoke. It will be the Gran Turismo of flight games.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:50 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

If you like one-on-one fighting games, then I suggest Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution ($20). It is the best fighting game I have ever played. However, it is EXTREMELY complex. I don't recommend it for casual gamers. It will take an unfamiliar player many hours to get used to the mechanics of the game and many, many more hours (as in months) to master ONE character.

If you like fighting games but want something less complex, Soul Calibur 2 ($30) is good. It has a much quicker learning curve with very good action and graphics.

If you have small children (under age 14) Dragonball Z: Budokai 2 ($50) is good. It has good action with a storyline that they are probably familiar with.
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:16 pm