View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
mopheta
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Some questions

Hi all. I have some questions about Gothic 2:

1) The best web in english (all I see are in german).
2) Where can we find a Gothic 3 forum?

I have been playing Gothic 2 for 1 week, and this game is too much good, but need some important fix (I hope Gothic 3 solve some of them):

- The most important I see is our player. Can be too much better done. Like the greck scupture, I think the man is the more important in a game (more than trees, buildings, or skies). And more in a game like Gothic 2. The design is not at the height of the game, and the animation are too poor. I remember the knight of Blade of Darkness, and would be a good example of character for this game. This is an important fix, and I think that its very easy to made.

- Its possible to prefer play in first view, but I would need to increase the fov of view. Can it be done?. I like the phisic of our movement in first view, (animation and phisic of 3rd view is not good).

- Can we edit the counter time of the game? some times I would prefer to play a game with 2 real hours = one day in the game.

- The framerate on the city is too low. I prefer to see less npcīs, and more framerate. This engine is good, but I think that a better engine would can work with all of them in our computers (I have 9700 radeon, 1500+ amd, and 512 Ram 266). Decreasing details or view distance isnīt a solution; I see 10 fps without details, and 9 fps with them in the city. Now I play with 140% of view distance, and high details.

- And finally, the combat. This game is an RPG game, but with a good combat system would be a much better RPG game. Now I remember other time blade of darkness, and his combat system (easy, but too much effective for a game like gothic 2). And one thing about combat..... it isnīt very nice to be defeat by a flyer. I would delete flyers from this game, and would put more human opponents, with different skills (and good animations). To be defeath in battle must be a glorious thing.
Post Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:42 pm
baudhi
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Blasphemy! =P
Post Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:46 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: Some questions

quote:
Originally posted by mopheta
Hi all. I have some questions about Gothic 2:

1) The best web in english (all I see are in german).

There is none. The few infos on GothicDot combined with the review and these forums should be enough to solve most problems and answer most questions.

quote:

2) Where can we find a Gothic 3 forum?

Nowhere. Gothic 3 is about 2 years away!

quote:

I remember the knight of Blade of Darkness, and would be a good example of character for this game. This is an important fix, and I think that its very easy to made.

They probably wanted to be consistent to Gothic 1. Yes, the animations could be better.

quote:

- Its possible to prefer play in first view, but I would need to increase the fov of view. Can it be done?. I like the phisic of our movement in first view, (animation and phisic of 3rd view is not good).

Try the mouse wheel.

quote:

- Can we edit the counter time of the game? some times I would prefer to play a game with 2 real hours = one day in the game.

Not that I know it.

quote:

- The framerate on the city is too low. I prefer to see less npcīs, and more framerate. This engine is good, but I think that a better engine would can work with all of them in our computers (I have 9700 radeon, 1500+ amd, and 512 Ram 266). Decreasing details or view distance isnīt a solution; I see 10 fps without details, and 9 fps with them in the city. Now I play with 140% of view distance, and high details.

With a faster CPU you would get up to 20 fps with FSAA + AF. Configureing G2 and a new Radeon card isnīt that easy. Maybe you didnīt optimise it yet.

quote:

- And finally, the combat. This game is an RPG game, but with a good combat system would be a much better RPG game. Now I remember other time blade of darkness, and his combat system (easy, but too much effective for a game like gothic 2). And one thing about combat..... it isnīt very nice to be defeat by a flyer. I would delete flyers from this game, and would put more human opponents, with different skills (and good animations). To be defeath in battle must be a glorious thing.

I like the combat system. Blade of Darkness was a combat simulator, not an RPG.
If you lose against flies you should get a better armour. Shooting them down with a bow is also an idea because you always hit from short distance.
Human opponents are very strong at the beginning.
Post Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:09 am
mopheta
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, thanks for the answerd, Gorath. And baudhi, donīt understand something wrong.... Gothic II is the best RPG game I have played, this is sure. But the best game always can be done better. All we know the good things that this game has, and I only said some points of the game that I see not good (I understand that other people can be dissapointed with my opinion).

- Mousewheel in 1st person view seem to do nothing (donīt change the fov of view, only do this in 3rd person view).

- Well, the kinght of Blade of Darness isnīt perfect (has some animations that not are good), but others are good, and only was an example. But being not perfect, is much better (I think) than the Gothic and Gothic 2 character. It seem to be only a decoration point for a game like this.... but think about all the work to made possible a credible world (trees, mountains, textures, bulidings, skies, animations and life of npcīs.... all graphics are good graphics). This credible world turns to incredible when we see our character and his animations... and we must see him all time.

- I donīt like flyers not because canīt kill them (I can easy). I donīt like because are something incredible. And isnīt the only incredible npc.

- Combat system...... yes, this is an RPG game. But RPG games are in evolution (only we have to compare the graphics of Gothic 2 with others), and the future RPG games will have a good combat system (combat simulator if you can say). Iīm not thinking about a Soul Calibur combat system... but repeat, I think that combat system of Blade of Darkness would be better on Gothic 2.

- Framerate..... yes, my cpu isnīt the best (1500+ amd), and Iīm thinking about to buy another better. People has told me that my 9700 radeon would be better with a more powerfull cpu. But the power of the computer is not all.... the engine can be better. There are too many people with Pentium 3 + GForce 3 (or similar), and a game must be thought for all (with a reasonable equip).

Sorry if I only write about the bad things of this game. All games have bad things. Donīt forget that all goods points of Gothic 2 are much more than these points, and these are only my opinions. But I give too much importance at the character and his animation. Not enought power of the engine to make a smooth and good character + graphics that the game has? its possible, itīs possible that only canīt be done, and is a sacrifice of the game (but a important sacrifice).

Thanks for your opinions.
Post Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:07 am