Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Where do i get the Lock Picking skill trade?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
nuthed55
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Where do i get the Lock Picking skill trade?

hello,

i am upto Chapter 2 and i have an apprenteship with Hogard (town black smith) and now i am militia ready to goto the Valley of Mines. (still too friggin hardfor me to fight those orcs)

I for one, cannot find where the hell i am supposed to aquire the Locking Picking Trade?

I spoke to the guy whose sawing wood across from the blacksmith in town but he says he doesn't trust me.? i did the blessing etc and he still doesn't trust me. i see these treasure chests all over the island that need to be picked and it fustrates me cuz i can't open the bastards!
i have been searching the whole island for someone to teach me the trade.

Also,
What should I do with that annoying Sheep Betsy? i paid 100 bucks for sheep to follow me around and do nothing. i can't give it to the monastry cuz i already have a trade,

Can someone help me please?

jim
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:40 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hello, and welcome!

First things first.. you are NOT going to fight the orcs, you are going to run whenever you see one. Fighting the orcs at this point is as good as impossible(taking on one at a time is possible for experienced players, or with bow/magic, but there is no point in doing so).

You can aquire the Lockpick skill from Cassia, the thieves guild master. To find the thieves guild, you must talk to Jora, turn in Rengeru to Lord Andrč, and then go to the tavern and talk to Kardif. He'll tell you where to find a man who is looking for you(he wants to kill you). After killing him, you can enter the sewers with his key, and there you'll find the Thieves Guild.

As far as I know, the only thing you can do is take Betsy to a remote location, and eat her + grab her skin!
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:02 am
Brak
City Guard
City Guard

So if you are an apprentice with the smithy then you must have gotten Matteo's approval by getting his money back that Gritta owed him. Maybe it depends on how you handle the Gritta quest. I did not get the carpenter's blessings from the priests but when getting Matteo's money back from Gritta I convinced her to give it to me instead of giving her a whallop. She was really upset with me, but the carpenter thanked me for helping her out with Matteo and offered to teach me how to pick locks.

Sounds like you may have already screwed the pooch on that one...so who else knows how to pick locks...hmmm, what kind of people go around stealing things? I think you know the answer, it's finding them that is the trouble (I haven't found them yet).
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:07 am
nuthed55
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

hmmm!

hi, and thank you!

ahhhh! i didn't turn in Rengeru because i thought vice versa. i thought he might be able to help me out with the Thieves guild and locate it.. but as it it turns out.. he wont say anything or do anything. just acts scared!

hehe, i thought i had almost completed the game once i was talking to the Head Chef of the town in the upper quarters! then i saw the splash screen of Chaper 2! and i read someone say 6 Chapters in the game.. hehe i think i may have alittle waty to go.

Also thanks Brak for your reply, i can't remember many names from the game, so i can't refer to what your talking about
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:15 am
nuthed55
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

oh and betsy

heh that is cruel.. but could be the answer..!

hmmm i dunno, i think i may have grown attachted to the poor path finding of Betsy... although she does prove to be a useful sheep on those lonely adventures !
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:25 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

There are multiple ways to get lockpicking. Another one is get the ledger from Lehmer the money lender by beating him up and give it to Thorben and then Thorben will be gratful. Ask him again about lockpicking and he will teach you. Thorben owes him money; you also can just pay his debt off of 200 gold to Lehmer and get Thorben to teach you lockpicking out of gratitude. Be sure to buy back the ledger; all 3-4 people listed will give you more quest. There are about 4 ways to get Lockpicking skill.

Of course, joining thieves guild also will teach you lockpicking and more; whether you turn in the the thieves or not. Turn them in you will have a fight but then they will respect you if you survive the attack of revenge. I just 'failed' the three thieves guid quest since you get more gold and experience points for doing it.

The thieves guild will welcome you with open hands -even give the secret hand signal to Ragenul if you let him free and get another experince boost, then beat him up for more experience and even rob him like a good back stabbing thief would.

**What should I do with that annoying Sheep Betsy? i paid 100 bucks for sheep to follow me around and do nothing. i can't give it to the monastry cuz i already have a trade, ***

Believe it or not, there is a 'skill' to learn that is called Hearding. It is taught by some odd ball hiding somewhere on one of them farms. I read this on a walkthrough. 5 LP or it is free, I do not remember, but with that skill the target sheep will follow you. Makes you wonder why he his hiding on the farm with a sheep...
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:26 am
nuthed55
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

thank you!

Thanks Xerxes712,

i smacked up Lehmer and got his ledger and took it to the carpenter.

and now he said he would teach me to lockpick! woohoo!

now i just have to advance to the next level so i can get some LP

what level character are you guys?

i am level 12 and i find it impossible to take down an orc... i think i may have to start again
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:46 am
Brak
City Guard
City Guard

I am level 5 and just about was able to smack one down last night. But he kept killing me so I gave up. I figure I should be able to kill and orce soon, maybe level 7. If your primary goal is to become a good melee fighter, then you should have been pumping one-handed skill and strength. Sounds like level 12 might be a little high to still be having a lot of trouble with orcs. Prehaps a start over will help. Make sure you are using parry/block when you fight, it is possible if your timing is good to parry every attack from an orc (that is what Maylander meant by experinced players, fighting in close requires a lot of skill, not skill of your character, but your personal skill). Now that you are in Chapter 2 there are much better weapons available in the marketplace (if you have enough strength to wield them). If I remember correctly from Gothic 1 better weapons become available at each chapter.

Brak
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:48 pm
liquid
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

i give you all a tip do not report any of the thieves guild members to lord hagen

if you joined the thieves guild you know the sign of the thieves

spoiler mark to read:

halvor will buy all your silver plates and chalice for a better price then the other merchanst but only once a day he also sells you pick locks (lets make some money)

kardif sells now pick locks

the gardener has a tip for you

rengaru gives you +2 dexterity permanent

"In darkness we are born, in darkness we will die."

"Piranhas are watching you. Piranhas are crunching your boots. Well, swim home to mommy!"
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:24 pm
SheerWolf
Village Leader
Village Leader

The proper way to join the thieves guild isn't to turn in thieves, kill their hitman and stealing his key... it's to not turn in anyone. When you have dealt with the three thieves in town without turning them in, the hitman will seek you out to invite you instead of killing you.

Oh and Cassia doesn't teach you lockpicking - I believe Ramirez does.
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:32 pm
liquid
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

cassia teach you pick pocket and dexterity

jesper how to sneak

and ramirez lock pick

"In darkness we are born, in darkness we will die."

"Piranhas are watching you. Piranhas are crunching your boots. Well, swim home to mommy!"
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:38 pm