ready to give up
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Will
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

ready to give up

I can't enter anskram keep second level. where is the eversrtike bow so I can become a ranger. The isle of ashes is impossible. I can;t get promoted until I do questes which are beyond my characters ability. I can't get elemental blast (spirit expert) until I promoted and lI my main weapon is still elemental bolt. BULL Shit
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:42 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I'm a long-time MM fanboy, and it appears you made it slightly further into the game than I did before throwing in the towel. I feel your pain- MM9 was quite possibly the biggest disappointment of my gaming life. Not necessarily the worst game, but definitely the biggest disappointment.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:47 am
Gish
Almighty Gish
Almighty Gish

the only way I beat it practically bug free was because I bought the strategy guide...
Post Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:40 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Re: ready to give up

quote:
Originally posted by Will
I can't enter anskram keep second level. where is the eversrtike bow so I can become a ranger. The isle of ashes is impossible. I can;t get promoted until I do questes which are beyond my characters ability. I can't get elemental blast (spirit expert) until I promoted and lI my main weapon is still elemental bolt. BULL Shit

In order (kinda)

1. If you have not finished this early quest yet, you could be in trouble. I am not sure what your problem with it is...could you give me more details.

2. Everstrike is found in the dungeons below Dooks Castle.

3. Isle of Ashes is very tough. I left that for my last promotion quest. Do not even attempt it until L20. I waited until L28 or so, and then it was not so hard.

What level is your party currently?
Post Thu Oct 24, 2002 5:30 pm
Will
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

ready to give up

My characters are level 20 at the moment with no mage...ranger..ect. My problem with Anskram keep is getting to the second level. I have entered the Keep and shut down the two portal adjacent the large room with the large door,

I can't find the lever to open the door. Facing the door there what seems to be a window but can't do anything with it. Also just around the corner from this so called window I can gett a click on the brick but nothing happens. I would guess there is another lever but I can't find it. It evidently is well hidden....Too well hidden in my opinion or I have a bug

Help appreciated. I did order the MM9 book today from Amazon but usually I don't need to cheat..
Post Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:28 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Will
My characters are level 20 at the moment with no mage...ranger..ect. My problem with Anskram keep is getting to the second level. I have entered the Keep and shut down the two portal adjacent the large room with the large door,

I can't find the lever to open the door. Facing the door there what seems to be a window but can't do anything with it. Also just around the corner from this so called window I can gett a click on the brick but nothing happens. I would guess there is another lever but I can't find it. It evidently is well hidden....Too well hidden in my opinion or I have a bug

Help appreciated. I did order the MM9 book today from Amazon but usually I don't need to cheat..

At those levels you should have a high perception to get in. Go around the back of the keep ... you will see a red rock ... you attack it to get it. Go to the roof. Above the gate house there is an entry into the keep. You *have* to enter from the top. If you do not, the quest is (I believe) broken - although that might've been corrected in a patch.

At L20 you should have no problem getting the bow. In fact the fights should be kinda fun. I went with a fighter a mage, a cleric, and a ranger and had no problems .... except with the Isle of Ashes ... wait for another 6 or so levels. If you have a cleric, make sure he has Lloyds beacon. It will allow you to teleport in and out of the Isle (town Portal out, Lloyds becon in) to heal etc.
Post Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:12 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

OH, now I understand. You may have a problem, though.

First, you entered the inner keep via the "front door" next to the porticullis. There's a back door as well. If you go to the stairs in the walls, get to the second level. In the back of the inner keep (opposite the "front door"), there's a little bridge that gets you from the wall to the inner keep's second floor. Go in that back door and wipe out the keep. In the process of clearing it, you'll get to that big door you can't open, but from the other side. The part of the keep you've done first actually ends up being the part you do last.

Now, the bad news. By leaving the keep after the quest is started but before it's finished, you invoke the keep bug, making the quest impossible to complete. Now, if you're feeling adventurous, there's a work around. There's a subdirectory in the MM9 directory called something like "mini-saves". Go into that directory. You should see tons of files for all the different places you've been. Sort them alphabetically (not required, but much easier) and delete every file that has Anskram's Keep in the name. Doing this will make the keep "reset", as if you've never been there. That means the portals you've cleaned up will be active again. OTOH, you can enter the keep from the back door and complete the whole thing before leaving, which will complete the quest and avoid the bug.

Good luck. This issue, combined with the horrendous implementation of the promo quests, was enough to make me uninstall, and I'm usually pretty patient with my games.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:20 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra

At those levels you should have a high perception to get in. Go around the back of the keep ... you will see a red rock ... you attack it to get it. Go to the roof. Above the gate house there is an entry into the keep. You *have* to enter from the top. If you do not, the quest is (I believe) broken - although that might've been corrected in a patch.

@dteowner, I missed his reference to the portals. I thought he meant doors, NOT imp portals (D'OH).

@Will- dteowner is correct about the minisaves, but make sure you save OUTSIDE the keep!!! I would save right before deleting the files, then reload the game and enter the keep - from the top! At L20 you should be able to fly through it.
Post Thu Oct 24, 2002 8:31 pm