Usergroups
Any upcoming games similar to Gothic???
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

to me Morrowind looks alot more promising that that DS, i don't like how the camera in DS is...i'd like it third or first person.
Post Sun Jan 13, 2002 3:27 pm
RingWrath
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

first person aye.
well have you considerd that you are actually controlling a party and other such things??

even third person sounds stupid.
its like baldurs gate or more an over head rpg.. not like gothic...
Post Sun Jan 13, 2002 3:55 pm
Manrico
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

--------------------------------------------
Hey lildragon that free daggerfall d/l...
I d/l it but after you unzip, you get this weird file and the read me that comes with it says to place into C:Daggerfall
but the game dont work...hmmmmm
---------------------------------------------
winace will unpack it (winace.com) but it then wants the cd - I can't find a nocd program for a game that's 8 yrs old. Best forget about it.
Post Sun Jan 13, 2002 5:21 pm

Gothic is the first RPG that comes close to the legendary Ultima Underworlds. The fighting in Ultima Underworld was still better

But gothic is a dream game... very cool!

And indeed Arx and Morrowind look like the two games comming next that are close.

I completed Daggerfall btw... despite all the bugs
What sucked in it where the "randomly" generated dungeons. Altho the idea sounds great, it came down to it that some tunnels and rooms where the same in each dungeon, but in another location. This made navigation a real pain in the bottom parts!
Post Tue Jan 15, 2002 9:21 am

Tempered
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

To me, Gothic seems to be a much improved and simplified Die By The Sword, a game I loved. I also loved all of the eldar scrolls games (dagger fall, battlespire, redguard). I think that if you prefer your crpg'ing up close and personal, with just one character to develope through a story, then Morrowind will be the game for you. Now if you like rts games, then you will probably like dungeon seige. I know I'll be buying Morrowind, but I'll wait for the reviews of Dungeon Seige.
Post Tue Jan 15, 2002 9:53 am
Wynne
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yes; Daggerfall's randomness was disappointing. Though there were lots of random areas, they were huge and twisted and complicated and easy to get lost in... yet at the same time, as with Diablo, after a while everything starts to ~feel~ the same anyway.

That's another part of why I'm so excited about Morrowind--all of the landscapes are hand-crafted. There's no randomness despite the fact that the game is 50 times bigger than Redguard, an already large game. This is a testament to how powerful that Elder Scrolls Construction set is. The devs are actually using it to create the game.
Post Fri Jan 18, 2002 1:48 am

Try revenant or Drakan both really good games the graphics in drakan are almost better than gothic similar style and you get to ride a dragon around
Post Fri Jan 18, 2002 3:45 pm

Drakan really has excellent graphics and combat animations, but it is fairly linear and very much hack'n slash.
Besides, Drakan 2 will only be available for Playstation 2.
I look forward to OUTCAST II, which is in development by the belgium company Appeal since 1999 (better info than on Appeal's site is on http://www.outcastii.net).
Post Sun Jan 20, 2002 1:36 am

Alistair
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Nomad Soul could be seen as similar in many ways... More of an SF setting, but a big, not-completely linear, world and yes, it had a day-night cycle of sorts.
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 3:56 pm

I have been following morrowind for awhile and think it is going to be the best game ever. Since the editor is pretty much the best editor ever made their will be unlimited gameplay and will give new things to do all the time. If you have 3ds max then you can convert the game into something totally different. If you want to play a hack & slash game than you could make a huge dungeon with a very powerful creature at the bottom which you fight to win. If you want a thief like game you will be able to make it. So don't determine what it is by what it looks like because you can make it as different as you want it.

I'm not quite sure on how much you can change the game, but I know you can change it alot.

One more thing I forgot to mention, the editor is very easy to use and you can make stuff very quickly with it. Check out the videos to find out.
Post Wed Feb 06, 2002 8:36 am

Another thing I forgot to mention is that morrowind is comming out in March if anyone wants to know, and this from one of the developers.
Post Wed Feb 06, 2002 8:44 am

Kwitzak
Village Leader
Village Leader

Well..I am looking forward to both
NeverWinter Nights and Morrowind and i think i will try out Seadog 2 also..Finaly a lot of RPG..hehe
Post Wed Feb 06, 2002 11:07 am
RingWrath
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

/drools over nwn...
ok so i like the baldurs gate series...
Post Wed Feb 06, 2002 11:21 am
ffbj
High Emperor
High Emperor

Here is the Arx link:
http://www.arxfatalis-online.com/eng/index.html
Post Thu Feb 07, 2002 3:38 am

Ive read all your thoughts and agree that Gopthic is a damn sweet-ass game, (own it myself) but as much of a Gothic lover as i am, i am more eagerly awaiting the arrival of Elder scrolls2 Morrowind. Gothic has its perks and the story is great but it doesn't hold your interest for long, whereas Morrowind will have a more exciting aspect, First-Person plus Third-Person, which is damn awesome. Say what you want but that's how I feel.
Post Fri Feb 08, 2002 4:38 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next