Members
Usergroups
Why be a thief when you can just use this spell *SPOILER*
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread

quote:
Originally posted by Rawis
Rayban... have you thought how complicated this game would be if all that things was like you said? It would also be ALOT harder too... i still think Morrowind is one of the best games ever... and of course, it haves alot of bugs, but the game is sooo huge, it would take years to fix it all... stop complaining...

Many of the flaws I mention are not impossible to fix and the ones that aren't, well it all come down to bad debuggin I guess.

Btw. stop these idiotic comments Rawis, you are sounding like a single minded fan-boy and never tell me to not complain you embacil. I paid good money for this game!
Post Sun May 26, 2002 8:52 pm

Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Hmm, i still think the stuffs you mentioned was very small things that i don't realy care about, there is alot of other great stuffs about the game. So, yes, i don't think you should complain, but your right, they could be fixed.

"you can walk around, uninvited, in some strangers dwelling, looking in chests and drawers while the NPC are looking and he doesn't react. If someone came to my house looking tru my secret stuff and underwear, I sure would call that big nasty guard I had placed downstairs, wouldn't you?"

Hmm, i don't think this game would be as interesting if you would get threwn out from all the houses, of coruse, it would be more realistic... but less interesting.

"You can draw one monster in a crowd to you without the rest of them reacting, just as long as they can't see you, you are safe. Wouldn't you react if you fellow compagnion suddently drew his sword, and then rushed in some direction yelling?"

I think this is pretty good, to be able to take down one monster at a time. And some monsters seems to be more stupid that humans.

"Being a small mage, I can taunt and taunt all I like until this huge meanlooking guard hate me, but still he will answer all my question in the same way as he did before I got cheeky. Wouldn't you react if someone started calling you a yellow coward and then immidiately asked about "a little secret". Would you share a secret with that guy?"

Thats true... the guard should attack you. Then you should take him down, and take his stuffs. Mwahahha...

"and never tell me to not complain you embacil. I paid good money for this game!"

Yeah, maybe you should checked out the game before buying it? View some reviews? Look at the boards? Anyway, almoust all RPG fans i talked to like this game... maybe RPG isnt your style of game? I dunno...
Post Sun May 26, 2002 11:25 pm
Grifman
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Rayban three posts later said:

"My point, as it was obvious to vague for some, was to point out one of the games many flaws, it was not to raise an arguement of thief vs. mage."

But Rayban entitled this thread:

"Why be a thief when you can just use this spell?"

Duh, I hope you can see where I might get the idea that you were arguing thief vs. mage? Try thinking about your titles next time, huh?

Grifman
Post Mon May 27, 2002 12:16 am
Kojiro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Rayban
The list go on and at least for me it gets a little too long. I no longer play Morrowind, instead I play the NHL 2002 and I get one heck of a better challenge than I ever had with Morrowind!

I'm not really sure what kind of challenge you're looking for if you're comparing a hockey game to an RPG. Sure, there may be AI programmed to try to counter every tactic known to hockey, but that's just it. But to develop an AI to counter every known tactic in an imaginary world? That's a little too much. Just about every RPG in existence has some limit to realism. There's a limit to how far you can go in "recreating the world".

quote:
Originally posted by Rayban
I wouldn't call levitating that extremly heavy (and expensive) breastplate away from people who are standing right next to it, exploiting the weaknesses of the game. Any decent debugger should have picked this up and made it impossible to do. It only show the lack of debugging that have been done.

I definitely would not define it as a bug. A bug means telekinesis spells don't do what they were designed to do, which is operate on objects from afar. A bug is something like the "Bound..." spells, whose weapons won't disappear if a certain procedure is followed. At most, being able to telekinetically steal would be considered a flaw of the AI. Either way, you do have the choice to use telekinesis in that manner, so it is exploiting a flaw in the AI.

You are right, however, that a quality assurance tester (not a debugger) could have caught some problems with the real world mechanics. I'm not an expert programmer just yet but maybe some of those could be fixed in a patch. Then again, programming lore dictates fixing one problem could have the unhappy side-effect of creating new ones.
Post Mon May 27, 2002 3:45 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
Btw. stop these idiotic comments Rawis, you are sounding like a single minded fan-boy and never tell me to not complain you embacil. I paid good money for this game!

You have three otpions:
1) never post things like this again
2) go away and never return
3) if you do not stop we will send our emergency squad and it will jump on your leg until you will say sorry and promise us that you will never come again
Post Mon May 27, 2002 7:04 am
Rayban

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous

You have three otpions:
1) never post things like this again
2) go away and never return
3) if you do not stop we will send our emergency squad and it will jump on your leg until you will say sorry and promise us that you will never come again

Yes maybe i did go over the top on that one, but it can be frustrating to see these kind of Fan-boy responses. It somewhat reminds me of the inquisition, who defended their religion by squashing all other oppinions than their own.

BTW. *The following is a feeble attemt by Rayban to awoid that crazy looking emergency squad that have besieged his house* IM SO SORRYYY RAWIS, PLEASE FORGIVE ME!!!!
Post Mon May 27, 2002 8:09 am

Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Rayban, without trying to be a fanboy here, I sincerely like this game, while you seem to sincerely dislike it. And that's fine, there is no problem. Not everyone can like this game, and I can really understand that you don't like it.

Now that being said, from my point of view I really think you're just not into RPGs. Every genuine RPG fan will tell you that the freedom allowed in Morrowind is not only staggering but extremely well thought out! But in order to appreciate it, you have to use your imagination and give the game (and the engine) some much needed leeway.

You might compare using Telekinesis with The Force, from Star Wars. Sure, it'soverpowering, and you can use it to do some "unrealistic" things. But this is a fantasy world, you have to have an open mind. As much as you say that it's terrible that you could snatch something from right in front of a merchant's nose using telekinesis, you could say that he was just looking elsewhere and didn't expect to have anything stolen since he doesn't see anyone in front of him. Same for sneaking around with a thief. I can sneak past them and stand right in front of them with no obstacles between us and he still won't detect me when I reach 100 points in skill! Unrealistic? Of course!!! But being realistic isn't the point, IMO. Being interesting is though.

As one poster said earlier, you have to play this game by putting some boundaries to yourself and your playing style. A game as open ended as this takes some resposability from your part, unfortunately. If you play this game like you play Quake, well then it's going to lose its appeal very quickly. It's an RPG geared for RPG fans. To some extent, you could even say that the main story is very much unimportant in this game. It takes a backseat to the freedom.

That's why the people here love this game, not because they are fanboys. And that's probably why you don'T like it either. But what you have talked about and listed are not bugs. Sure, they could be worked on a bit, but they are certainly not buggs. If my play style is to be an arogant sorcerer who has fun by casting a levitate spell before using telekinesis to swap the guard's sword and laugh at him, that's my prerogative. Don't call it a bug
Post Mon May 27, 2002 6:13 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Hmm, Rayban, i just thought dose things wasn't that important, and yes, I think there is worse things to complain about in the game, if you now have to complain...
Post Tue May 28, 2002 3:59 pm

"Hmm, Rayban, i just thought dose things wasn't that important, and yes, I think there is worse things to complain about in the game, if you now have to complain..."

Such as...?

Ekim I know this must come as a surprise, but I have played RPG since the dawn of the era, with some of my all-time favourites being the ISS Dragonlance serie and Fallout II. I also enjoyed Might and Magic VI, VII & VIII, Wizardry 8, Fallout I etc.

So I'm definately not new to the RPG scene.

What I think is the biggest downforce with Morrowind is the broken illusion I had. I started playing this game, thinking it was the greast game I ever played. Then I started to notice all the oddities, but that didn't deter me yet.

The thing that did it for me, was the lack of involving storyline, the shallow NCP's and with that, the lack of commitment from my part.

Why spend alot of quality hours on a game thats nothing more than an exploring game. Since the RPG element is minimal, I don't see why I should play it, as it have lost the momentum and is now nothing more than a showcase of how advanced computergraphic is today.

What makes you wanna play this game Ekim?
Post Wed May 29, 2002 8:21 am

Rayban

I keep forgetting to sign in my name, but the above comment is obviously from me
Post Wed May 29, 2002 8:29 am

Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

What makes me like this game? The freedom to be whatever you want, and do whatever you want. I have played many RPGs before this (I started with the old schoold Gold Box series from TSR too) and I have enjoyed some of them greatly for their stories. But to me they were always lacking one very important feature: freedom.
I love the fact that when the master thief sent me to get an item from a specific shopkeeper, I could get there and either try to steal it, buy it, bribe the shopkeeper to give it to me, or kill the guy discreetlyand get the item that way. Not many games can claim to have as many options to solve a quest, as simple as such a quest is.

This is as close to a pen and paper game as I have seen a computer game get! And I have enjoyed pen and paper games for even longer than computer games. But the problem with pen and paper games is that, as you grow older, it's very hard to get people together at any given time, and there is the wife and kids A game like this is heaven for me!

I'm not saying Morrowind is exactly like pen and paper games here, mind you. I don't think we'll see the level of AI needed for this in my own lifetime. But I'm saying it's as close to it as I have seen a computer game get. The trade off to this is that the story at the heart of Morrowind is not extremely original, even not that engaging to some extent. But there is so much for me to do here that I don'T care that much about it! I can roleplay my character on my own and have fun putting some restraints on my own playing style, the same as when I used to play D&D with my friends where I played this quiet, quick-tempered thief that kept picking the pockets of his own companions in the middle of a fight. I could play that way if I felt like it, and I can play like that if I feel like it in Morrowind.

I guess that's what I like about this game, still after playing over 100 hours now. Sorry for the long post, but you asked for it hehe
Post Wed May 29, 2002 3:34 pm

Roleplaying??

quote:
Originally posted by Mr207
Yes, that was a spoiler. (sarcasm)

Yeah, but how much roleplaying do you have to do , you just do quests and kill stuff
Post Wed May 29, 2002 4:49 pm

Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

That what i think to Ekim! But i haven't tried any pen and paper RPG, yet.
Post Wed May 29, 2002 5:24 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Re: Roleplaying??

[quote="Anonymous"][quote="Mr207"]Yes, that was a spoiler. (sarcasm)[/quote]

Yeah, but how much roleplaying do you have to do , you just do quests and kill stuff[/quote]

I guess that question was for me, was it?

In any case, I'll answer it. To your direct question "How much roleplaying do you have to do", my answer is none! You don't HAVE to do any roleplaying if you don'T want to.

But I predict you one thing: those who will just play along with the main quest and some of the guild quests will probably drop the game once they have finished the main quest because they will have gotten bored with it by then. Most will fail to see what the ones that roleplayers find so engaging with this game. Those that roleplay will probably keep this game on their hard drives even longer than they did Daggerfall simply fr the fact that down the road you will start seeing some very impressive MODs built for it, and they will want to explore every nick and cranny of the island (which could take weeks!). Those that don't roleplay will still enjoy the game very much, I'm sure! But at some point you'll start wondering what to do next and you'll just forget about it. Roleplayers will start making their own stories with the game encounters, and continue playing through a long time, I'm sure.
Post Wed May 29, 2002 5:53 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
What makes me like this game? The freedom to be whatever you want, and do whatever you want.

But to what use?

As I have stated earlier I fail to see where the motivation for this occur. If your motivation is freedom to roleplay as you please, then I ask you, what use is it to roleplay when there is only shallow NPC's to interact with, no burried treasure, no unigues quest-orientated items that can't be stolen from some shop, no experience points as you can just 'up your skills without roleplaying your character.

I ask you: Why spend +100 hours on a game, that offers nothing but "dungeon-crawling" and exploration?

And why call that the greatest RPG ever created?!?
Post Thu May 30, 2002 11:15 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next