Daggerfall
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 20

Author Thread
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I still have my copy of Daggerfall, but I also have XP.. which SUCKS %#&#¤%&/"#%&/&" and all that. BUT.. I recently installed a program called VMware that lets you run guest-os's under win XP and I installed Win 98 in that and then I installed Daggerfall under THAT (phew) but it still doesn't work! It took me forever to fix all the settings too.. Guess I am doomed to never again see Daggerfall on my computer. I got it as far as the opening movie and I could even press the Start a new game option but then it stopped. I couldn't choose a country to start in.. or from. The mouse refused to work! I'm gonna try downloading a few oldies from the underdogs later tonite to see if I can get anything at all to work. So far it's been a blast anyhow. I installed 98, updated it to the latest version, made IE upgrade itself from 4.0 to 5.5 (didn't dare to try 6.0), downloaded and installed Winace 2.11 and even downloaded and "installed" a new background picture! It's like having a small computer inside another computer. If you like to play around on old os's then I highly recommend this program. I installed MS-DOS 6.22 too.. (complete with Ultima Underworld 2)
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 2:09 am
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by non-euclid
Yeah, well I played Archon on a Commodore Vic20!! Ha!

Which was first: Archon on Vic 20 or Jetpac on Spectrum ZX 16Kb?
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 2:10 am
non-euclid
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I've never heard of a Spectrum (!@*&#$?). So mebbe its older. I was playing Archon in 8th grade (1986) when it was already a little old...
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:56 pm
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by non-euclid
I've never heard of a Spectrum (!@*&#$?). So mebbe its older. I was playing Archon in 8th grade (1986) when it was already a little old...

Woohoo! I got my C64 back in 1985 and I had the Spectrum a few years before that so.. Jetpac was the best, btw. I want to build a rocket!
Post Sat Jun 29, 2002 1:35 pm
Legal_My_Deagle
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

where did you guys get a copy? or did you already have one that you just had to dig up?
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:27 am
Shadowbeast
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Im my opinion Daggerfall is the best game of the serie yet.I think it had an better atmosphere than morrowind.It was an true epic rpg.I would love to play it yet if i had an pc capable od running it
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:39 am
non-euclid
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

the only ambient improvement of daggerfall (compared w/ morrowind) that I remember was a pronounced difference in the feel of day v. night. Day was brighter, night was creepier.
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 5:40 pm
ItBurn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Kendrik

in Daggerfall the streets of a town became deserted at night (I still remember the first time I was mugged in town at night by a Thief - v.scary).

I'd much rather have a crowded city at night than Daggerfall's NPCS!
Walking papers with random stuff written on them. Die in one hit, no equipment, disapear when killed, all the same...

The chance of an enemy in town at night was like 1/1000
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:00 pm
Madcow256
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

re: Running Daggerfall in Windows XP

I got my copy of Daggerfall to run in Windows XP, albeit without any sound. The trick for me was to right click on Dagger.exe, click properties, go the the memory tab, and allocate some expanded and extended memory for it. That caused it to run for me.

That trick works for a bunch of old DOS games that require EMS or XMS memory.
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:44 pm
Legal_My_Deagle
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

i got mine to work on winXP pro now, i think for regular sound im using Soundblaster 16 (or one of the SBs anyway) and using roland for midi sound - and i have a sound blaster live! for a sound card...hope that helps..
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 8:05 pm
Delmonte
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

For the sake of the old computer nostalgia. I had a 16KB ZX81 in 1981 avoided the spectrum and went to a BBC micro model B at the end of 82. The BBC even had a 100KB disc drive.

I remember seeing the first harddrive on an Apple 2 and this guy telling me he would not fill 30megabytes of data in his life.

As to daggerfall I played it but it simply annoyed me because it would not work propperly and I kept getting stuck in the bottom of some of the dungeons. Crawling up the walls was good though. IMHO Morrowind is a much better game and I find it more fun to play mainly I think because I have little time for computer games and tend to dip in and out of them.
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 7:50 pm
lapofi
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by sauron38
I once got the Abandonware version of Daggerfall to work on XP.

How? I would love to play this game again but i also have XP.
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 9:27 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

I'm not really sure... I used all sorts of different options and various methods and... uh... I have no clue.
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:20 pm
Madcow256
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

re: Running Daggerfall in Windows XP

I posted my method for running Daggerfall in Windows XP just three posts up - does that not work for you?
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:34 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3