View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > RPGDot

Author Thread
Kordanor
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Quality of MMOG News is sinking drastically

Greetings,

I just want to tell you that I noticed a drastical decreas of the Quality of MMOG-News. Would be great if you can concentrate on posting correct and sensefull News with correct links. Your site was one of the two Newssites with the best info about mmogs, hope that it will get this status again.

Just some errors from the last days:

DAoC
At June 9. you posted that DAoC New Frontiers is in Open Beta. MMORPG.com postet that more than a month ago: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setView/news/gameID/11/showArticle/1611

SB:
At 9. June you posted
Wolfpack/Ubi have announced at the official 'Shadowbane' website that Asian players are invited to join their North American and European fellow addicts now that UbiSoft has decided to shut down operations of 'Shadowbane' in Asia.
Which is nonesense cause the Asian Publisher was en-tanz.

CoH
At 8. June you postet that new screenshots are available at http://www.avault.com/news/displaynews.asp?story=672004-298

Thats not the case, they just put screens in their news which was shown about a month ago.

EQ2
At 8. June you postet that there is an Interview of EQ2 Graphic engine...which was EQ1 (already changed)

CoH
At 8. June you postet a link to Best Sold games. In the url are 3 slashes why it wont work...

Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:06 am
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Can only comment on two of the example issues.

The Shadowbane Asia thing is clearly my mistake. I thought UbiSoft had the final say regarding everything revolving around Shadowbane worldwide (though en-tranz or however they are spelled does ring a bell now that you mentioned them ). Oh well, I edited the newsbit and took the Ubi blame out .

Regarding the CoH screenshots at Avault, you have to be aware that it is an impossible task for us to keep track of screenshot postings.
For example, developers/publishers sometimes update their websites with "new" screenshots that were released to the media weeks or even *months* before the site update. Also, sites like Worthplaying, Gamer's Hell or GameBiz often take screenshots from official site updates and put them up w/o mentioning that the screens were from the website and not sent to them as exclusive material etc etc.
We are reporting on dozens and dozens of single player RPGs and MMORPGs. Trust me. It's totally impossible to keep track of media like screenshots or trailers and when/where they have first appeared.

Regardless of the above, please *do* continue to make us aware of faulty news postings either by commenting on the newsbit or by sending a mail to the editor who posted the newsbit (or both to make sure). I hope that the past two days have just been an unlucky conglomeration of mistakes though and that our overall track record is still a positive one .

Thanks again.
Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:36 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Re: Quality of MMOG News is sinking drastically

quote:
Originally posted by Kordanor
Would be great if you can concentrate on posting correct and sensefull News with correct links. Your site was one of the two Newssites with the best info about mmogs, hope that it will get this status again.

First, thanks for noticing, and reporting these mistakes. I wish it would have been done in a friendlier manner, but it's always nice to see that our readers pay attention.

I didn't pull out any numbers because it would be pointless, but I'm sure that the ratio of mistakes versus the actual number of posts we pull up within any given day or week would be minimal. As this site is run by volunteers (i.e. people who give their time freely without any sort of compensation for their work), and considering that we all, each and every one of us, have some bad days once in a while, I won't put too much negative value in these few mistakes. These guys are doing a great job. Great job! And they do not get enough recognition for it.

Now, regarding one of these "mistakes", I should point out that the DAoC Frontiers open beta launch was actually correctly reported upon on May 5th. You will see this by going to the DAoC page in the games database under the Site Updates. More precisely here, although this doesnt show the actually date it was posted at, I believe... The only mistake here was that the news was posted for DAoC instead of the Frontiers expansion in the games database, which is a pretty minor error.

I still believe we are THE reference on the web for RPG and MMORPG related news. Mistakes happen, and please notify us by email if ever you come accross one.
Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:28 pm