A new players question...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

A new players question...

I've just made 5th level and dumped all my points into bow skill. So I went hunting ... Ug. No good. With one exception I wound up dispatching all the preditors (funny attack birds) by hand ... and it is NOT easy to change weapons while being attacked.

So the question ... Did I just blow 10 skill points?
Post Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:36 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

The way of the archer is a possibility (it was the one I went at first, too), it's just not as simple as the way of the sword. You need to take advantage of your surroundings... like, for example, retreat to steep rocks or other high vantage points if you plan to take on fast predators with a bow or crossbow.
There's nothing better than a big fat crossbow and a good position...
Post Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:54 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

Re: A new players question...

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
Did I just blow 10 skill points?

Offcourse not. Being a marksman can be fun, and you can still use the bow before the beast comes closer (remeber to switch before it comes too close).
I wouldn't recommend mastering in bow skill, if you're planning to switch to crossbow later on.

@Jaz Really?
Post Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:53 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

My friend Taxen0 and I has some different thoughts. I think Crossbow of War is the best weapon, and fo that you will need more than 20 dex. Taxen thinks Short Bow is the best. I don't know why.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:06 pm
Ork_porK
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

i dont see the need to switch weapons if they come too close to u. when they're close to u, u have better aim. and they also flinch more often which gives u more time to reload, even if you're unskilled with the bow..

anyway, in my opinion, it's better to invest in strength points and get trained with the sword first. just my opinion!
Post Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:54 pm
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

THe games has to get really dificult in the end if you use the bow, I never tried to play with an archer so I'm just guessing.
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:56 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

No, not difficult. I played as a bow/crossbow guy the first time through (in both G1 and G2). Don't forget that you have so many XP in the end that a lot of skills are maxed out, anyway.
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:21 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Actually, the bow skill being so ridiculously overpowered as it is, I'd say you've made a good choice.

Then again, thanks to the primitive skill system, your character will probably have maxed out skills in everything in the end anyway...
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:25 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Hexy
Actually, the bow skill being so ridiculously overpowered as it is, I'd say you've made a good choice.

Then again, thanks to the primitive skill system, your character will probably have maxed out skills in everything in the end anyway...

I don't understand this. While I am a lowly 5th level character with a dex of 12, but I could not hit *anything* before it was on top of me ... at which point I had trouble switching weapons.

I have to admit that I was not choosing my ground very well, but I figured, heck, it's only predators (you know, those bird thingy's), so I don't have to be too careful. In any case out of 20 or so arrows at mid range I scored two hits. 2 of 20 is pretty piss poor.
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:36 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
quote:
Originally posted by Hexy

I don't understand this. While I am a lowly 5th level character with a dex of 12, but I could not hit *anything* before it was on top of me ... at which point I had trouble switching weapons.

I have to admit that I was not choosing my ground very well, but I figured, heck, it's only predators (you know, those bird thingy's), so I don't have to be too careful. In any case out of 20 or so arrows at mid range I scored two hits. 2 of 20 is pretty piss poor.

Uh, whaa?

All you need is a secure spot, and many arrows, and you can take out monsters far beyond what you SHOULD be able to take out.
Those bows do some nice damage when you hit as well. Depending on the creature.
When I was like level 6 or 7, I could take out wolves and lizards with my Long bow, while I had to wait until lvl 10 as a melee-er.

Plus, unlike the console-fighting-game-style melee, you don't need to hit constant special combat moves with bows, just shoot shoot shoot.
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:52 pm
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

The way of the archer.

I guess you answered my question by your answer to the other person asking. I'm new too. Just reached level 2. I spent the first 10 points on strength and dexterity and the next on lock picking to get Fingers' help.

Now I'm trying to decide how I want to play the rest of the game. I usually choose archery because I'm just not a good fighter and only do it because I have to. I much prefer magic. But it seems it will be a long time before I can do any magic in this game.

Your advice about retreating to a high spot is interesting. That's the kind of game play I like. Using my head a bit to win a fight, rahter than hysterically slashing my sword this way and that, which is the only way I can do it, no matter how I practice:)

Do you see any drawbacks to putting all points into bow or should I build up sword for a while?

Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
The way of the archer is a possibility (it was the one I went at first, too), it's just not as simple as the way of the sword. You need to take advantage of your surroundings... like, for example, retreat to steep rocks or other high vantage points if you plan to take on fast predators with a bow or crossbow.
There's nothing better than a big fat crossbow and a good position...

Last edited by SilkenKidden on Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:53 am
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Bows

I think that you would do all right to max out your dex. Go for max bow skill. I maxed one handed, two handed and crossbow. Worked good. Maybe max your bow. Max your strength, save your points for two handed intsead of one handed?
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:06 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Putting a few points into swords is never wrong; after all, there may come the time when your prey comes too close... but keep focused on one type of weapon in the beginning (meaning, don't distribute your points evenly). Later on you'll have all the points in the world to spend on whatever you wish to spend them on...
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:10 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

well the best thing where u can put those points is strenght and 1 handed sword thats what i did in G1 and G2 last times and its pretty simple to fight later hehe
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:39 pm
Irf
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, if you wanna play as a mage later, i'd reccomend you focus on dexterity and bow skills for now, but also steadily increase your mana. I'd also reccomend getting a little bit stronger, incase your prey does come too close.

SPOILER: Later in the game you'll come across monsters that are immune to arrows, thankfully not many though, but you will have to kill them. :END SPOILER
Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:29 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next