Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Should RPGs include player-dependent abilities?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Should RPGs include player-dependent abilities?

What I mean by player-dependent abilities is player physical skill, dexterity, speed, etc. Should these player-dependent factors be included into RPGs, or does this go against the nature of an RPG? Should the main player character or characters only go off of in-game statistics for their abilities? For example, Arx Fatalis allows you to cast spells by tracing runes with your mouse. This requires some skill and dexterity on the player's part. Is this wrong or does this selective player-dependent ability actually enhance the game experience?
Post Fri Feb 14, 2003 8:52 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

All RPG's already do that more or less, either by your competance with your fingers on the keyboard, or your strategic abilities in combat. You mostly decide the best equipment for your characters, or solve problems/quest by making certain actions in a correct order or something like that. This blend between character skills and player skills (in certain areas), gives the most interesting gameplay in my opinion.
Post Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:30 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

There is a dichotomy here. While I think that the character's skills should predominate in an RPG, as opposed to a shooter, there is no avoiding the fact that the player's skill is vital too. The problem for the player is that the game may require skills that they don't have. I'm more a cerebral person than one with hair trigger reflexes, so that affects the way I play and approach games.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:11 am
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

I say yes. I greatly enjoyed the fighting in Gothic because your playing skill and fighting strategy played a big role in the outcome. It was more 'involved' and fun for me.
Post Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:42 pm
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I'm going to say

I think that it is ok to have both types of games but a real RPG really shouldn't matter on the player. Hence roll playing, maybe your not the fastest clicker but your role playing a mighty warrior. So I think it has it's place but not for a "true" rpg.
Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:41 am
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

computer games can never be 'true' rpg's anyway (at least not yet) so i think it's good to include some gaming skill elements ...
Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:35 am
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

To alleviate some fears of hack-and-slash gaming, would it help if developers were to put in features that took away much of the dependency from players back to the computer, if the player wanted to enable such features? And would it help a combat speed option could be included, by which I mean, if combat was too fast, reducing a slider or bar in the options menu would slow down combat, and vice versa if too slow? The original Unreal had one. You could speed up or slow down combat depending on the setting. By features to take away dependency, I mean something like automatic casting buttons for those who don't want to draw spells, automatic targeting and auto-fire, etc...? Or would these be poor solutions to a much more fundamental problem?
Post Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:18 am
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

Actually I think it would be cool to include option to play either way. That way I could have a blast getting really into the timing of my sword strikes and player b could have it set on auto fight and could be just sitting back enjoying the show. Both ways both players are happy and neither system intrudes or overrides the other ... I think your idea is a very cool one ...
Post Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:42 am
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Kabduhl
Actually I think it would be cool to include option to play either way. That way I could have a blast getting really into the timing of my sword strikes and player b could have it set on auto fight and could be just sitting back enjoying the show. Both ways both players are happy and neither system intrudes or overrides the other ... I think your idea is a very cool one ...

Yeah, it would seem to pacify both player camps, but I wonder what kind of nightmare it would be to code. Might need more programmers to make it happen...but it could work.

This reminds me of the difference between Morrowind and Blade of Darkness (an action game)--I'd kill to have Blade's superior combat system in Morrowind, but Morrowind's non-linear world in Blade (and Fallout's dialogue system, quests, and free-form story ). Morrowind's combat is extremely repetitive and getting easier as my character advances. If one game could include all these play styles (player-dependent and -independent), I think it'd be a revolution for the genre.
Post Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:52 pm